I-key system fault

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paolo

This morning our leaf does not turn on.
If we enter the leaf without the i-key it says Key not detected.
If we enter the leaf with the key it says I-key system fault.

Any suggestion?

PS We tested both i-keys.
PPS It always happens on saturday!

Did you try replacing the battery? You also didn't mention if it would start with the "dead key battery" procedure (see manual). Either way, it would indicate a dead (key) battery.

I replaced the battery key FOB.
Also tried close the doors with key FOB, have one hour break, open the doors with key FOB, ...

Same story.

Paolo said:
I replaced the battery key FOB.
Also tried close the doors with key FOB, have one hour break, open the doors with key FOB, ...

Same story.

i am assuming you used both FOBs to no avail?

well, being able to lock or unlock car means 2 things

1) your FOB battery is fine
2) all doors are shut (car wont respond if a door is open)

i think, next option is disconnect 12 volt battery, then open and shut all doors, reconnect battery and try again.

It happens with both FOBs.
I disconnected the 12 volt battery, opened the door with the key (the true one, not electric), closed the door, reconnected the 12 volt battery.
Same story.

The Nissan customer service suggested to bridge the 12 volt battery with a booster battery to be sure it is not a battery low voltage problem.
Same story.

They suggest not to recharge the 12 volt battery and to call the emergency truck (SOB).

PS Carwings says the main battery is charged to 75%. Maybe I can even charge it!

I understand the "dead key battery" procedure is as follow.
1. Push the P (Park) position switch on the selector lever.
2. Firmly apply the foot brake.
3. Touch the power switch with the Intelligent Key as illustrated. (A chime will sound.)
4. Push the power switch while depressing the brake pedal within 10 seconds after the chime sounds. The power switch position changes to READY to drive mode.

I tried but when I touch (not push) the power switch with the intelligent key nothing happens.

Dead key battery procedure
1. Push the P (Park) position switch on the selector lever.
2. Firmly apply the foot brake.
3. Touch the power switch with the Intelligent Key as illustrated. (A chime will sound.)
4. Push the power switch while depressing the brake pedal within 10 seconds after the chime sounds. The power switch position changes to READY to drive mode.

I tried with a FOB without the battery.
The point 3 is now working fine, I heard the chime and the power switch illuminates.

Unfortunately, when I push the power switch (point 4) the error appears again.

BrainDonor said:
Did you say this happens every (and only on) Saturday?

It happened yesterday, saturday evening.
I said "PPS It always happens on saturday!" because I have to wait till monday morning!

Paolo said:
BrainDonor said:
Did you say this happens every (and only on) Saturday?

It happened yesterday, saturday evening.
I said "PPS It always happens on saturday!" because I have to wait till monday morning!

ya that sucks. our local Nissan Service dept is open on Saturday and every one is there EXCEPT the Leaf tech!

ENIAC said:
What did Nissan customer service say? You know they have an 800#.

They said to bridge the 12 volt battery with a booster battery.
When I told them the problem still there they replied "Call the emergency number and send the car to the dealer".

Tomorrow I will know.

It took seven days to discover that the I-Key manager of the vehicle was damaged.
They change it and my loved Leaf is fine again.

Fortunately the dealer gave me another Leaf to substitute the broken one.
Blue ocean instead of White pearl, fun to drive anyway.
Tank you all for your suggestions.

Same problem yesterday. Would not accept a charge, also. Off to dealer for diagnosis and repair.

My biggest concern is that I am hoping that the dealership has trained technicians who are capable and competent to repair. Basically the Leaf is an Eletrical Engineering (EE) monstrosity, with highly complex electrical systems, and I'm not 100% convonced that the average car tech is going to have the education and training to properly diagnose and treat EE problems at this level.

We'll see shortly. Got a free loaner for the next couple of days.

Leaf has 1445 miles on the odometer, and we've owned it roughly 6 weeks.

The dealer told me that the I-key system have nothing to do with the electric vehicle.
A few Nissan models share the same I-key system.
A normal technician is capable and competent to repair.

However mine Leaf accepted to be charged while showing the "I-key system fault" error.
Even Carwings was fine.

Back