Capacity Loss on 2011-2012 LEAFs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TonyWilliams said:
cdub said:
Got my 1 year checkup today... capacity has dropped 100%.

No I'm kidding... everything is fine. 12,500 miles all capacity bars. Battery check all 5 stars. I didn't get a percentage though.

None of that will identify capacity loss less than 15%

You could be 14% down on capacity and still get five stars and have all 12 capacity bars.

+ 1!

To me, the annual battery check is worse than useless since not only does it not give any meaningful information to the owner, it also gives a false sense of security...

TomT said:
To me, the annual battery check is worse than useless since not only does it not give any meaningful information to the owner, it also gives a false sense of security...

I agree it is useless to the owner, but I'm also fairly certain that there is some good information going to Nissan. I hope Nissan would help the customer based on this information, but they could just keep it to themselves. GaryGid's friend who was called back to the dealership to have a battery repair after his checkup is a sign that Nissan is using this data to help the customer when necessary.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=8669&p=194766&hilit=stanley#p194766" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mwalsh said:
I was back to the "new normal" - 91.4 / 257 Gids / 393v this morning.

Great to hear, Mike! This appears to be roughly tracking with other Leafs in SoCal.
Boomer23 said:
Here's another data point.
Great data, thank you for sharing, Boomer. I've noticed that Gary, Tom, 91040 and yourself have the best Gid readings in SoCal. This could be just a coincidence, but I was wondering if it was a bit cooler where you live? Aside from that, I'm not sure why there is such a difference between jp's, Mike's and your Leaf for example. Especially since you appear to be always charging to 100%, which is supposedly harder on the battery.

Yes, that is why I said "to the owner..." It would be nice if some of that Nissan info actually filtered down to us "owners..." (Perhaps Phil's Leafscan will be able to make it available to us.) It will be interesting to see if Nissan contacts any of the folks who have lost capacity bars when they go in for their next battery check and Nissan receives the data...

palmermd said:
TomT said:
I agree it is useless to the owner, but I'm also fairly certain that there is some good information going to Nissan. I hope Nissan would help the customer based on this information, but they could just keep it to themselves. GaryGid's friend who was called back to the dealership to have a battery repair after his checkup is a sign that Nissan is using this data to help the customer when necessary.

TomT said:
It will be interesting to see if Nissan contacts any of the folks who have lost capacity bars when they go in for their next battery check and Nissan receives the data...
I went in for my battery check and got all 5 stars. The evening of that same day I dropped the 12th bar. Presumably Nissan could tell that I was on the cusp.

surfingslovak said:
mwalsh said:

Great to hear, Mike! This appears to be roughly tracking with other Leafs is SoCal.
Boomer23 said:
Great data, thank you for sharing, Boomer. I've noticed that Gary, Tom, 91040 and yourself have the best Gid readings in SoCal. This could be just a coincidence, but I was wondering if it was a bit cooler where you live? Aside from that, I'm not sure why there is such a difference between jp's, Mike's and your Leaf for example. Especially since you appear to be always charging to 100%, which is supposedly harder on the battery.

Well, let's see. I'm about 7 miles from the beach. Summer temps can be 10 degrees warmer at Gary's house. Not sure exactly where TomT is from the beach, but the valleys tend to be warmer. Tbleakne lives in a hot summer area and 91040 is also in one of the warm summer areas. Mwalsh and JPV are a bit further inland than I am, so maybe five degrees warmer in summer.

One thing that stands out to me is that Mwalsh and JPV both have regular commutes on freeways, while Gary, 91040 and I have more intermittent freeway use with days of local driving and shorter mileages interspersed.

Boomer23 said:
>>> May started out with 280 and 281, but started dropping on May 6 with 272 Gid after a 100% charge from 103 Gid. I haven't seen anything above 279 Gid since May 4, with low readings of 272, 274, 274, 275, 272, 272, 276, 273, 269, 275, 270, and today 274.
I had understood you were down much more. 275/281 = 97.8 %. Since your battery is doing so well, in spite of mostly 100% charges, perhaps you could give us some voltage readings. As described in my earlier post on pg 40 of this thread, the maximum voltage at 100% charge can tell us whether our battery packs are balanced.
if the pack is balanced at 100% charge, all the cell-pairs will have the maximum allowed voltage, and the total pack voltage displayed by the SOC meter will also be at a fixed maximum that should be the same for everyone. Conversely, the pack will be out-of-balance if and only if the pack total voltage is less than this maximum, because some of the cell-pairs are not at their maximum values.

I noticed a drop in readings the second week of March. It was coincident with garaging the car (higher temperature overnight?). I am in a hotter inland valley (as is TomT).

Recent gidmeter readings:
7 charges at 100%: 91.1 - 92.5%. Battery: 393 - 394.5V
3 charges at 80%: 76.5 -76.8%. Battery: 386.5 - 388.5V
Mileage: ~23,800
Delivery May 2011

surfingslovak said:
mwalsh said:

Great to hear, Mike! This appears to be roughly tracking with other Leafs is SoCal.
Boomer23 said:

I'm near the junction of the 118 and 405. I'd say about 75 percent of my driving is freeway... My last 100% charge netted me 274 Gids.
Boomer23 said:
Not sure exactly where TomT is from the beach, but the valleys tend to be warmer.

tbleakne said:
I had understood you were down much more.

Probably because I was whining and griping about what looks like a drop off a small cliff since early May, from 280-281 down to the low 270s, with nothing above 279 appearing since May 9.

I've had my Gidmeter since September, and looking back I see a 257 in late September after a 100% charge from 40 Gids, and a bunch of readings as low as 271, 272, etc in October. So my little dropoff might just be temperature related.

I also notice that many of my low readings were after 100% charges from only zero to 2 bars prior to the charge.

Maybe we should add that to our data collection: bars or Gids at the start of a charging session.

Re tbleakne's request, I've just started recording voltage readings after charging.

Here are a few data points:
May 23, 100% charge from 85 Gid to 275 Gid, 393.5 Volts, low overnight temp 61 F
May 24, 100% charge from 144 Gid to 270 Gid, 393.5 Volts, low temp 59 F
May 29, 80% charge from 163 Gid to 225 Gid, 387.5 Volts, low temp 57 F
May 30, 100% charge from 77 Gid to 274 Gid, 394 Volts, low temp 59 F

I'll keep recording this data, but that's all I have right now.

Today I measured temp by the probe placed under carpet of the front seat starting temp 72 currently 82F sunny. Car is in open parking with heat deflector placed in windshield area. Wonder it here is any mechanism protecting heat transfer from floor to battery/battery compartment.
presentation1ph.png

Ingineer said:
If anyone in the SF Bay Area notices lost capacity or loses a bar, I'll be happy to check out the loss with LEAFSCAN so we can get some hard numbers.

-Phil

While not the SF Bay Area, Mike and I were just discussing this yesterday.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=201476#p201476" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

May 29th posts at 16:39, 16:50, 17:03, 17:21 (why aren't the posts numbered like most other forums?)

So far I've not seen any posts about losses in the bay area, but perhaps I've missed something.

Boomer23 said:
surfingslovak said:
mwalsh said:

Boomer23 said:

Well, let's see. I'm about 7 miles from the beach. Summer temps can be 10 degrees warmer at Gary's house. Not sure exactly where TomT is from the beach, but the valleys tend to be warmer. Tbleakne lives in a hot summer area and 91040 is also in one of the warm summer areas. Mwalsh and JPV are a bit further inland than I am, so maybe five degrees warmer in summer.

One thing that stands out to me is that Mwalsh and JPV both have regular commutes on freeways, while Gary, 91040 and I have more intermittent freeway use with days of local driving and shorter mileages interspersed.

I went in for my 1 yr checkup and the recall update 2 weeks ago. I don't have a Gid meter or anything, but my GoM is definitely making me nervous on my drive home. My commute is 72 miles RT, I tend to get 4.0-4.2 on the dash and I'd get home with 4-6 miles left blinking, either 1 bar left, or just disappeared. With the same 4.0-4.2 on the dash, I am now coming home with VLB and --- on the dash. I don't know if its because I've lost capacity or because the recall changed up the GoM and I have more hidden reserve. I'll have to try and catch up with you Phil and have you check my Gids one of these days.

palmermd said:
I hope Nissan would help the customer based on this information, but they could just keep it to themselves. GaryGid's friend who was called back to the dealership to have a battery repair after his checkup is a sign that Nissan is using this data to help the customer when necessary.

I thought there was a lot of complaining?

xtremeflyer said:
I don't have a Gid meter or anything, but my GoM is definitely making me nervous on my drive home. My commute is 72 miles RT, I tend to get 4.0-4.2 on the dash and I'd get home with 4-6 miles left blinking, either 1 bar left, or just disappeared. With the same 4.0-4.2 on the dash, I am now coming home with VLB and --- on the dash. I don't know if its because I've lost capacity or because the recall changed up the GoM and I have more hidden reserve. I'll have to try and catch up with you Phil and have you check my Gids one of these days.

You dont need a LEAFSCAN to check the count of wattHours with a Gidmeter. There are dozens and dozens of these out there, and I'm sure you can find somebody who will loan you one in a major California city (I have no idea where you are).

The updates to the GoM did not change the values for Low Battery Warning (49 Gid) and Very Low Battery Warning (24 Gid). What the GoM range specifically says is superficial to me.

You are indeed getting REALLY low on power. Should a Gid count show that your battery has dropped in capacity enough to cause this, about all you can do is slow down a bit. I don't know if that's safe, but just a 5mph lower speed can have a big difference.

Sorry to hear this.

Stoaty said:
Yes, but at that time you were still getting 255 Gids from a full charge (9.3% below "normal"). How many Gids are you getting from a full charge now?
John, I believe that Luke's last full charge yielded 224 Gids and 393 Volts on May 22. This is what I have so far, please let me know if you wanted me to make any corrections.

Click to open

TonyWilliams said:
xtremeflyer said:
I don't have a Gid meter or anything, but my GoM is definitely making me nervous on my drive home. My commute is 72 miles RT, I tend to get 4.0-4.2 on the dash and I'd get home with 4-6 miles left blinking, either 1 bar left, or just disappeared. With the same 4.0-4.2 on the dash, I am now coming home with VLB and --- on the dash. I don't know if its because I've lost capacity or because the recall changed up the GoM and I have more hidden reserve. I'll have to try and catch up with you Phil and have you check my Gids one of these days.

You dont need a LEAFSCAN to check the count of wattHours with a Gidmeter. There are dozens and dozens of these out there, and I'm sure you can find somebody who will loan you one in a major California city (I have no idea where you are).

xtreme and I are friends. Perhaps I can stop by your place one Saturday morning before a breakfast meetup and check your Gids after a full charge. Our Santa Ana meet isn't until June 23, though. We can PM to set something up.

Back