Official Ford Focus Electric Thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chicago Tribune: Ford to Start Shipping Focus Electric to Dealers This Weekend
The Chicago Tribune is reporting that the Ford will begin shipping Focus Electrics to 67 dealers this weekend. 350 Focus Electric cars will be sent to dealers in California, New Jersey and New York over the next couple weeks.

Manufacturing executives are said to have “signed off on the decision on Friday.” The Tribune says Ford declined to comment on the news and the sources asked not to be named because the plans are confidential

http://insideevs.com/chicago-tribune-ford-to-start-shipping-focus-electric-to-dealers-this-weekend/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I guess that is a very quite launch...
Just enough to be CARB-a-licious

DrInnovation said:
The Chicago Tribune is reporting that the Ford will begin shipping Focus Electrics to 67 dealers this weekend. 350 Focus Electric cars will be sent to dealers in California, New Jersey and New York over the next couple weeks.

Manufacturing executives are said to have “signed off on the decision on Friday.” The Tribune says Ford declined to comment on the news and the sources asked not to be named because the plans are confidential

http://insideevs.com/chicago-tribune-ford-to-start-shipping-focus-electric-to-dealers-this-weekend/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I guess that is a very quite launch...
Just enough to be CARB-a-licious

Of course no mention of when we'll see it in Chicago but we all knew that we were no longer to get the first batch (Chicago was originally to be a 'launch' city)

redLEAF said:
DrInnovation said:

Of course no mention of when we'll see it in Chicago but we all knew that we were no longer to get the first batch (Chicago was originally to be a 'launch' city)
So was Richmond; passed Koons Ford in Sterling, VA today and was tempted to top by and ask about when the FFE might be by for test drives! :roll:

GRA said:
First delivery:

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/first-electric-ford-focus-is-delivered-to-customer-45487.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I wonder how he got it home.
The first customer, Whit Gallman, got his car in a dealership parking lot, in New York, after having driven 1040km (650miles) from his home in Charlotte, North Carolina.
Perhaps he had a flatbed or a tow dolly...

RegGuheert said:
GRA said:
First delivery:

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/first-electric-ford-focus-is-delivered-to-customer-45487.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The first customer, Whit Gallman, got his car in a dealership parking lot, in New York, after having driven 1040km (650miles) from his home in Charlotte, North Carolina.

I'm guessing some Ford person with connections. They called him up and said, "Pick it up here, or no car".

RegGuheert said:
GRA said:
First delivery:

From http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1076518_first-2012-ford-focus-electric-delivered-to-retail-buyer-very-quietly" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
He drove the 650 miles from his home to sign the paperwork, arranging to have the car shipped down to North Carolina.

Car and Driver just did a test of the FFE: http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2012-ford-focus-electric-first-drive-review" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't get the fridge comment at the very end:
The electric Focus costs a couple grand more than a similarly well-equipped Leaf SL, at $38,100, but not only does the Ford replenish its battery faster, it is also not a fridge.

EricBayArea said:
I don't get the fridge comment at the very end:
From the beginning of the article:
From the General Motors EV1 to the Nissan Leaf, electric cars designed from the jump to be electrics drive like fridges. And not even the cool stainless-steel and glass-doored kind. To make an electric car fun, we advise starting with a great gasoline-powered car and converting it to run on electricity.
It's a dumb comment anyway, because it has nothing to do with whether the car was designed to be electric or was a "conversion", but what the design goals were. Besides, the LEAF doesn't drive at all like a fridge...I took my fridge out for a spin once, and it wasn't half as good as my LEAF. :cool:

davewill said:
Besides, the LEAF doesn't drive at all like a fridge...I took my fridge out for a spin once, and it wasn't half as good as my LEAF. :cool:

Yeah, my fridge was a dog in the curvy bits. But I hear that's all about the tires. :lol:

I flew to LA last weekend and rented an ice Ford focus hatch.

After driving it for the weekend, it was crystal clear how well built the leaf is in comparison. The power steering is really stiff, the low speed torque is worse or as bad as my g2 Prius and the car feels heavy to drive. The torque and the power steering may be fixed in the ev version but I'm sure it is heavier. The worst things were how busy the dash was and how tight the cabin was. I'm 6'3" and have never felt cramped in the Leaf.

In my opinion it felt like the equivelent of a versa. I am really glad Nissan built an ev from scratch vs updating the powertrain on an econobox.

That being said, I hope many people buy the focus ev but a focus is not comfortable enough for me and without QCing, no way.

over on the Focus EV forum one of the first owners made a trip report, he drove 76 miles home on the highway and arrived with a first battery warning low lamp

whats intersting is he plugged in at home on his L2 evse at 5:45pm and reported a full charge at 10:30pm

5 hours and 45 minutes?

he is using an spx unit I think. on a 40amp breaker and set to the 32amp threshold

if the car was drawing all it could this does not seem to jive with Fords charge time claim

kmp647 said:
over on the Focus EV forum one of the first owners made a trip report, he drove 76 miles home on the highway and arrived with a first battery warning low lamp

whats intersting is he plugged in at home on his L2 evse at 5:45pm and reported a full charge at 10:30pm

5 hours and 45 minutes?

he is using an spx unit I think. on a 40amp breaker and set to the 32amp threshold

if the car was drawing all it could this does not seem to jive with Fords charge time claim

I think you ment 4 hr and 45 min . but still a long time. I get that in my leaf and was driving in the Texas hill country 65-70 mph.

Spies said:
Sounds like it was charging at 16 amps to me just like the Leaf. Something is not right. Pilot in the EVSE perhaps?

Nothing's wrong. The 6.6 kilowatts refers to the initial charging wattage. Charging slows down to the same level near the end so a 6.6 kilowatt charger doesn't give you twice the charging speed of a 3.3 kilowatt one.

By the way, why would anyone expect Ford to know anything about a drivetrain they didn't even design?

coolfilmaker said:
Nothing's wrong. The 6.6 kilowatts refers to the initial charging wattage. Charging slows down to the same level near the end so a 6.6 kilowatt charger doesn't give you twice the charging speed of a 3.3 kilowatt one.
Good point coolfilmaker. Also when I posted I had not noticed it was 4 hours and 45 minutes charging and not 5 hours and 45 minutes. That hour makes quite a difference.

I do look forward to hearing more reports on the charging and efficiency of the Focus EV and how it compares to the Leaf. And especially so when the Leaf offers 6.6 kW or faster on board charger.

Back