Amanda
Delivery Date: 02 Sep 2011

FREE Chargepoint EVSE chargers in MD--PLEASE READ, DESPERATE

Fri May 18, 2012 12:14 pm

I'm hoping someone can help me out...
I joined this forum last year when the EVSE division (Greenstream) of my company, BITHENERGY (http://www.bithenergy.com) located in Baltimore, signed a contract with Nissan's Preferred EVSE Dealer that was supposed to allow us to do EVSE installation for Leafs in the Baltimore/Washington/Northern VA area. After the first month of assessments we started getting complaints from the customers themselves about the quoted prices, which we didn't understand because we were offering fair market value for the materials and labor. We finally had one person send us a copy of the quote he was mailed along with a very vitriolic letter saying it was ridiculous and we found out the price on the assessment the Preferred EVSE Dealer sent the customer was three times higher than what was on the assessment we sent to the Preferred EVSE Dealer. Due to various contract clauses we couldn't tell the customer what was happening and at that point the decision was made by our company to nullify the contract with the Preferred EVSE Dealer. we have since signed a contract with GE which has gone much more smoothly.

That however, isn't what this is about.

The State of MD got a grant for the purchase of a number of EVSE units and chose the Chargepoint Level 3 chargers. They bought 100 units, They tried to find businesses in the area who wanted them, couldn't find them, and finally just dumped the remaining units in our laps (we're the leading renewable energy company in the Baltimore area with EVSE experience) and said "Here, we'll give these to you free, you do the installation." We have managed to get the local hospitals to grab some; as of this day we have 20 Chargepoint EVSEs left.
Here's the strings:
1) They HAVE to be installed in the State of Maryland somewhere.
2) They HAVE to be accessible to the public (this is supposed to be infrastructure buildout.)
3) It CANNOT be in an automotive dealership.
4) It HAS to be a commercial business.
5) We will charge for the installation but the charger is FREE.
6) We have to have a signed contract on installation by JUNE 1ST.

June's only a week away, we have to have people to speak for the remaining units (i.e. ink on a valid contract) by June 1st. Installation can be completed later but there needs to be a contract on the units by June 1st. I'm asking anyone who has a business (not a car dealership) in the state of MD who might be interested in one of these chargers to please contact me via PM and I can give you our phone number to call me to discuss details.

EDIT 5/21/12: The chargers we have are the Chargepoint L2 chargers, not the L3. The Greenstream team has corrected me on this.
Last edited by Amanda on Mon May 21, 2012 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stoaty
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 3871

Re: FREE Chargepoint EVSE chargers in MD--PLEASE READ, DESPE

Fri May 18, 2012 12:18 pm

Seems a bit late in the game to be asking, with only 2 weeks left to go. Hope you can get some help here.
2011 Leaf with 62,000 miles given to Nephew
2013 Tesla Model S85 with 251 miles rated range at full charge
Leaf Spy Manual
Battery Aging Model Spreadsheet

Reddy
Delivery Date: 18 Aug 2011
Leaf Number: 006828

Fri May 18, 2012 12:32 pm

Reddy
2011 SL; 9 bar, 45.80 AHr; 45,000 mi; rcv'd Aug 18, 2011
Long: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... al#p226115"
Cold: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... 60#p243033"

davewill

Fri May 18, 2012 12:36 pm

Amanda wrote:... we found out the price on the assessment the Preferred EVSE Dealer sent the customer was three times higher than what was on the assessment we sent to the Preferred EVSE Dealer. Due to various contract clauses we couldn't tell the customer what was happening ...
You may have now. I hope AV doesn't monitor the forum.
2014 Rav4 EV, Blizzard Pearl White
2011 LEAF SL w/QC, Blue Ocean, returned at end of lease

KillaWhat
Delivery Date: 15 Mar 2012

Fri May 18, 2012 12:43 pm

I Sure wish I was in Maryland.
I'd put one in my office building in a heartbeat.
I'm only about 20 miles from Maryland......
Black SL Delivered 3/14/2012
7.2Kw Charging w/Brusa
Leather Interior
Rosewood Dash
JUKE 17" Wheel Upgrade w/225-45-17 Michelin MXM4 Tires
Horn Upgrade
Infinity 63.9i Speaker Upgrade
WattsLeft Meter System
LED High Beams
Carkit NAV Override

P71VIC

Fri May 18, 2012 1:06 pm

Not that this will be any help for your current plight, but if there were some units along Rt50 on the Eastern Shore it might help alot with adoption for the entire metro area. Ocean City and the Delaware beaches are a major destination for Maryland, VA and DC folks. If there were a unit or two in Easton, Cambrige and Salisbury, the whole route "down da ocean" could be considered an electric highway!

Chris30269
Delivery Date: 10 Dec 2011

Fri May 18, 2012 1:17 pm

How much would installation be? I imagine it would vary widely, but an approximate range would be useful. Also, I'm just curious.

Amanda
Delivery Date: 02 Sep 2011

Fri May 18, 2012 1:51 pm

Stoaty:
Well, the State just dropped this on our laps right after Mother's Day. We've gotten contracts on 40 out of the 60 that they gave us, we're just trying to find takers for the other 20--who can sign the contract in a week. If we can find buyers for the bulk of them, we are hoping we might be able to wriggle an extension based on the late date at which the project was handed to us but there are no guarantees when you're talking about government money.

Reddy:
Yes, that's it.

Davewill:
I claim the 5th Amendment on that one. Will neither confirm nor deny your guess as to the entity involved. We did however learn a valuable lesson: Small print equals large risk.

KillaWhat:
Do you know anybody a little closer....? Please spread the word!!!!

p71VIC:
I did not even think about that. Wow. And we're currently in the final stages of paperwork prior to starting construction of a 4MW solar farm out on the Eastern Shore by UMES. I can probably leverage some of our contacts out there to try to put some in.....GREAT suggestion! Thanks!!!

Chris30269:
At this point we need to get these spoken for so we're doing the installation (wiring, mounting & concrete work) for $3000 a unit, I think. I'm the office Admin, I'd have to get a firm price from one of our installers but I think that's what I heard in staff meeting.

Stoaty
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 3871

Fri May 18, 2012 1:57 pm

Amanda wrote:Stoaty:
Well, the State just dropped this on our laps right after Mother's Day. We've gotten contracts on 40 out of the 60 that they gave us, we're just trying to find takers for the other 20--who can sign the contract in a week. If we can find buyers for the bulk of them, we are hoping we might be able to wriggle an extension based on the late date at which the project was handed to us but there are no guarantees when you're talking about government money.

Wow, they really gave you a lot of time!

PS Is there any chance Santa Monica could be considered part of the state of Maryland for installation purposes. :lol:
2011 Leaf with 62,000 miles given to Nephew
2013 Tesla Model S85 with 251 miles rated range at full charge
Leaf Spy Manual
Battery Aging Model Spreadsheet

TimeHorse
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 02 Nov 2011

Fri May 18, 2012 2:16 pm

First, go to http://www.evadc.org and join; I've forwarded your request to our private list!

Second, Mom's Organic Market in both College Park and now Rockville are totally free. If they ask for a card, call the number. But get the card anyway as you can put a deposit on a Sema and one on a Chargepoint and you're set for this area. Sema is a Maryland based company so they're very popular here. But it's the installation site that generally puts in the price so blame the property owner for these outrageous prices (see my comment about The Blairs).

Thirdly, thank Jill Sorenson for all the work she does in Maryland to make the EV life easier!

Fourthly, write your state Delegate and Senator about allowing EVSE owners to charge per kWh because charge per unit time is unfair to LEAF compared to Focus or Coda, unfair to Volt, Plugin Prius and Smart ED compared to LEAF, Focus or Coda. Not generally unfair to Focus and though comped to Tesla since most EVSEs are limited to 6.6kW anyway.

And finally and fiftly: Join the Capital LEAFs for more local LEAFy information!
RIP CO2 Fre, 27 months, 42,282 mi & 11 bars.
unAmerican Job & Nissan's Rapid Depreciation cost $20,000!
5 hours on the road daily w/o Charge at Work on 100%.

Long Live CO2 Fre, Maxed 2013 SL, 20,000 mi/yr lease.
http://aecn.timehorse.com/

Return to “EVSE / Charging Equipment and Networks”