100 Mile Club, 200 km, 300 km, 200 Mile Club (24kWh LEAF)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EdmondLeaf said:
I will always try to keep car out of no bars zone as well 12 bars zone.

Probably a good idea.

I would, certainly, suggest everyone push their LEAF to its range limit at least once, just to see what it's capable of. But, I do have to question the benefit of doing it over and over again

Weatherman said:
But, I do have to question the benefit of doing it over and over again
I am constantly guilty of squeezing more miles from kWh. My travel mostly allow that, because I am going in opposite direction than main traffic. I say this is personal preference how we drive (if not impede others on the road), but I am very honest and realistic telling other what car can do.

Reddy said:
No need to apologize N1ghtrider. . . . No worries here. just feel sorry for folks who spend so much time in their cars. Although I enjoy driving the Leaf more than any other car, it still doesn't compete with bicycling on a nice day. I've cycled to work every day this week and today is another perfect sunny, 50-70 degree day with no wind. :cool: Maybe I'll drive tomorrow, it's supposed to rain. :cry:
Reddy

Thanks for the pity, but I don't spend that much time in my car. I drive only about 20 to40 miles per day, on average. It takes me 3-5 days to achieve more than 100 miles per charge. I just don't charge until the battery is drained. I know the battery will last longer with 80% charges, but it should last me 36 months, for the time of my lease, right?

I don't have a bicycle, but I ride motorcycles for a break from the car.

Second time getting to 100+.

Hit VLBW at 96.6.

I didn't actually intend to go this distance and just drove my normal commute with freeway miles. Only the last 20ish miles did I realize that it was working out well to hit the century mark.

20120419094211_photo.jpg

Just finished with 105.1 on the trip odometer. Still had 5 miles of range left. This one time was enough. No AC, not freeway driving for two days just to see if I can do it.

Tony:

Did you see LEAFfan's super accomplishment on another thread? Here it is:

LEAFfan wrote:
Yesterday, I participated in a 100 mile EV Efficiency rally and started with less than a 100% (100%=actually 94-95%) pack. It was around 85% SoC. Even with my 10% battery capacity loss, I still did 151 miles/8.5 console/8.4 dash m/kW h (only goes to 8.0 on the readout) on ONE CHARGE.

He is definitely the forum mileage leader. :!:

N1ghtrider said:
He is definitely the forum mileage leader. :!:
Thank you for catching that! Yes, we knew that since last summer, good to see some of the latest stats. It looks like LEAFfan has perfected his technique.

100 miles on a full charge. Hit VLB at 97. 5.2 miles/kWh

First 70 miles I drove at or above speed limits all city streets between 30 and 45 mph, but the last 20 miles below speed limit just to push it to 100 mile range. Too stressful and not worth the trouble repeating the feat, nevertheless I learned how to hypermile and get more range in case I need that.

More over with "100% ELECTRIC" chrome stickers on the back, I perhaps annoyed more than a few people driving slowly. To make it up I had an errand for 50 miles round trip the next day and managed to get only 3.7 miles/kWh driving like a maniac !!

Glad to get into the club.

Congrats on letting loose and driving like a maniac! 3.7 sounds like normal for me though. If I drive like a maniac I can keep it under 3.0.

Oh, I mean congrats on making the 100 mile club!

The details:

• Elevation Range: 8010' - 5400'
• Elevation Delta: more than 3000 feet
• Approximate Elevation Sequence: +350'-2600'+2600'-250'+100'-200'
• Temperature Range: 58º - 73º outbound, 64º - 47º homebound
• Speed: mostly 35-65 mph but the last fifteen miles were at 20-30 mph in 47ºF temperatures
• LBW at 87.7 miles; the last eleven miles were at flashing 4 or 5 on the GoM, depending on hills
• Tires were at 39 psi

Notes:
• The trip included ~13 miles of dirt roads.
• The GoM read 138 miles at mile 14.5.
• The mileage efficiency read 10.3 m/kWh at mile 26.5.
• The conditions for the return trip were much less favorable than expected because a thunderstorm came through with gusty winds and falling temperatures. In warmer, wind-free, conditions the range would have improved considerably.
• The six battery temp bars were the first time I've ever seen the battery that warm and occurred after the steep climb up to the top of the mesa I live on. A few minutes after getting home they dropped back to five bars and remained there after more than an hour of charging.

dgpcolorado said:
• The six battery temp bars were the first time I've ever seen the battery that warm and occurred after the steep climb up to the top of the mesa I live on. A few minutes after getting home they dropped back to five bars and remained there after more than an hour of charging.

I don't remember ever seeing 5 battery bars. My car starts at 6 every day (Texas). I've seen 9 (after 4 DC QCs in one day). What is the temp range for 6?

I saw four bars all winter and five bars about a month ago. With a new battery I think the bars work like this:

bars temp-range
12 140ºF and up
11 135.5º - 140º
10 131º - 135.5º
9 126.5º - 131º
8 122º - 126.5º
7 98.2º - 122º
6 74.3º - 98.2º
5 50.5º - 74.3º
4 26.6º - 50.5º
3 21.2º - 26.6º
2 15.8º - 21.2º
1 10.4º - 15.8º
0 5º - 10.4º

Today was a rule breaker day ~ so I thought I'd post.
Over the last 15,000 miles ... with the exception of 4 trips that I made solo ... plus 2 solo trips made by my better half , and 2 trips that we made together (while I was driving) - I've always done 5miles/kWh (I.E. 100+ range equivalent) ... but almost never let'er go down into low battery mode. Yet maybe every 4K miles ... just for grins ... I go for broke. I don't think I ever posted any of 'em though

On Mothers Day I set the "B" trip meter. We left home with the smart phone app showing that we were still about 10 minutes short of charging to full (L2 charging) ... but of course the guess-o-meter still showed 100% - being that close to full charge. We went up to L.A. County and back (60+ miles). Then today's trip . . . one way to work is about 19.7 miles ... so by the time we were approaching Lake Forest on the return leg, the meter was almost at 100. Made a slight detour to Costco then headed home.

2urtffl.jpg

What made this trip/range extra special was that about 90% of the range was freeway speed of 55mph-60mph ... and the 1st 60% of the range was with the extra passenger weight (total people weight about 375lbs. Going side streets solo was always a breeze to get 100+ / 5mi-kWh ... but this "charge-full" was a bit trickier. The low battery warning came on (under 10 miles showing) ... then the very low warning came on (under 5 miles showing) ... so I never even got into Mr. Turtle. It's nice to know that with over 15K miles, we can still go the distance.
:D

N1ghtrider said:
Good job, Hill. However, there are 5,340 users of this forum (at least several hundred active ones), and yet there are only 28 of us who have topped 100 miles (or cared to post that accomplishment). :? What gives?

That is roughly the percentage of hypermilers and pretty typical of the rest of the world.

For ever person who averages 60mpg with a Prius there are 25 that average low 40's.

My hope is that EVs help inspire learning to occur, so we can all drive more efficiently.

rmay635703 said:
N1ghtrider said:
Good job, Hill. However, there are 5,340 users of this forum (at least several hundred active ones), and yet there are only 28 of us who have topped 100 miles (or cared to post that accomplishment). :? What gives?

That is roughly the percentage of hypermilers and pretty typical of the rest of the world.

For ever person who averages 60mpg with a Prius there are 25 that average low 40's.

My hope is that EVs help inspire learning to occur, so we can all drive more efficiently.

+1

Easy first steps:

-Reduce max speed
-Reduce acceleration to desired speeds

TNleaf said:
rmay635703 said:
N1ghtrider said:

+1

Easy first steps:

-Reduce max speed
That assumes that most people wish to drive cars to maximize their fuel efficiency rather than maximizing their convenience and minimizing trip time. There is no evidence that this is the case. Personally, when I want to maximize my fuel efficiency I ride my bicycle, the most energy-efficient land transport yet invented. But I don't take it when I need to get somewhere in the shortest possible time with the maximum convenience; that's what my car (or some other form of transport which maximizes those qualities) is for.

TNleaf said:
-Reduce acceleration to desired speeds
That one can work.

GRA said:
TNleaf said:
... -Reduce max speed
That assumes that most people wish to drive cars to maximize their fuel efficiency rather than maximizing their convenience and minimizing trip time. ...
Since the reduction is often simply to drive the speed limit, and since driving faster hardly makes any serious difference in trip time around town, I have little sympathy for those who want "minimize their trip time" at the expense of the environment.

Back