Stanton
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 01 Sep 2011
Leaf Number: 7458

Re: Lost a "high-voltage battery status" bar, down to 11

Mon May 14, 2012 12:39 pm

GaslessInSeattle wrote:The vast majority of our driving can be done with a 50% charge and as soon as QC's are available, we'll be able to "top off" a lot less, no longer being compelled to charge whenever we can on the off hand chance that we may need to do something unplanned. Over charging is basically caused by precaution due to how slow L2 is, once we have L3, it's going to take the pressure off opportunity charging quite a bit, allowing us to relax more and top off less.

I believe there is a flaw in your thinking/assumptions. First, not everyone has (or wants) QC. Second, I think it's safe to say that we'll NEVER have L3 (QC) at home, where we DO have L1/L2. In fact, I think that L1/L2 charging (whether it be 3.3kWh or 6.6kWh) is much better for the battery pack long-term.
2011 Blue Ocean SV w/floor mats & window tint
12v LiFePO4 battery & FIAMM 74100 horns
Wet Okole seat covers (front)
Tor's low-power heater mod
2013 sun visor
3G modem upgrade
L2 EVSE Upgrade
Battery Pack replaced (Rev E) @51 months and 41k miles

Stoaty
Delivery Date: 12 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 3871

Mon May 14, 2012 12:59 pm

GaslessInSeattle wrote:It's hard to quantify but from what I understand, letting the car sit at a low SOC influences battery life too, which is what the end timer would lead to if the car came home with a lowish battery.

Yes, I have heard that may be a problem. Looks like the sweet spot would be letting the car go down to 2 bars (around 30% SOC), since the Leaf is delivered from Japan with about 2 bars left (someone else can supply the relevant link to the thread on MNL). Presumably, that is an optimal SOC to leave the Leaf for a period of time. If I get home with 2 full bars, I will wait until a couple of hours before work to start the charging.
2011 Leaf with 62,000 miles given to Nephew
2013 Tesla Model S85 with 251 miles rated range at full charge
Leaf Spy Manual
Battery Aging Model Spreadsheet

GaslessInSeattle
Delivery Date: 29 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 850

Mon May 14, 2012 1:19 pm

I think you have missed my point. I would still do the vast majority of charging at home at L2 speed. Yes, it will take a while for L3 to be everywhere, but I do think it is key to the electrificaiton of the automobile and maybe even be a critical tool in minimizing the number of hours spent at high SOC. I suspect that keeping the SOC high on the off hand chance you may need it is worse than keeping SOC medium and occasionally QCing.

Stanton wrote:
GaslessInSeattle wrote:The vast majority of our driving can be done with a 50% charge and as soon as QC's are available, we'll be able to "top off" a lot less, no longer being compelled to charge whenever we can on the off hand chance that we may need to do something unplanned. Over charging is basically caused by precaution due to how slow L2 is, once we have L3, it's going to take the pressure off opportunity charging quite a bit, allowing us to relax more and top off less.

I believe there is a flaw in your thinking/assumptions. First, not everyone has (or wants) QC. Second, I think it's safe to say that we'll NEVER have L3 (QC) at home, where we DO have L1/L2. In fact, I think that L1/L2 charging (whether it be 3.3kWh or 6.6kWh) is much better for the battery pack long-term.
Gasless: Silver 2012 SL, traded in for Lease on 1/13
Tesla S P85, Gray, pano, carbon fiber, took delivery: 2-9-13... LOVE this car!
9.8 kW PV Solar installed 9/12, http://www.westseattlenaturalenergy.com

JPWhite
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 30 Jul 2011
Leaf Number: 5734

Mon May 14, 2012 1:28 pm

[quote="GaslessInSeattle"][/quote]

Your sig says you upgraded to MY2012. How and where did that happen? Didn't think MY retrofits were available.

JP
--
JP White
http://jpwhitenissanleaf.com
Blue SL-e, Res 4/22/10, Ord 3/29/11, Del 7/30/11
110,000 Miles.
Lost 5 Capacity bars
7/18/13 (29,206), 8/25/14 (51,728), 7/12/15 (71.108), 5/12/16 (88,362), 10/17/16 (96,532)
New Battery 12/3/16 (98,956)

TonyWilliams

Mon May 14, 2012 1:35 pm

Stoaty wrote: the Leaf is delivered from Japan with about 2 bars left (someone else can supply the relevant link to the thread on MNL). Presumably, that is an optimal SOC to leave the Leaf for a period of time. If I get home with 2 full bars, I will wait until a couple of hours before work to start the charging.

Not true. It's delivered with 50% from the factory.

FairwoodRed

Mon May 14, 2012 1:43 pm

JPWhite wrote:
GaslessInSeattle wrote:

Your sig says you upgraded to MY2012. How and where did that happen? Didn't think MY retrofits were available.

JP

I think that means traded in a 2011 for a 2012.

surfingslovak
Vendor

Mon May 14, 2012 2:26 pm

TonyWilliams wrote:
Stoaty wrote: the Leaf is delivered from Japan with about 2 bars left (someone else can supply the relevant link to the thread on MNL). Presumably, that is an optimal SOC to leave the Leaf for a period of time. If I get home with 2 full bars, I will wait until a couple of hours before work to start the charging.

Not true. It's delivered with 50% from the factory.

Since I don't recall all the details, I looked up the SOC Check Sheet TomT found in his Leaf. You might want to read the original thread as well.

The sheet says that 35% was the standard SOC for shipments out of Japan, and it's probably safe to assume that this is a conservative value for mid to long-term storage. The only remaining question: is Nissan referring to the real SOC or what's indicated on the battery gauge on the dash and in Carwings? I would think that it's the former, and 35% would correspond to four or five bars.

The SOC check sheet itself shows that more than 3 bars are needed before Leafs are loaded onto a ship, but only two bars are needed when the cars arrive at the destination port. What's also interesting, Tom's Leaf apparently was charged to 11 bars before it was shipped and it declined to 6 bars by the time it arrived in Long Beach. Did I get that right? If you discount the driving they had to do when loading and unloading the car in port, that would be fairly high rate of self-discharge.

Tom, are you reading this thread? Would you remember the initial mileage on delivery?

TonyWilliams

Mon May 14, 2012 3:27 pm

That has a tick in the box for 6 bars at the port of entry. About 50%, as is any LEAF I've seen fresh off the boat (mine included).

surfingslovak
Vendor

Mon May 14, 2012 3:35 pm

TonyWilliams wrote:That has a tick in the box for 6 bars at the port of entry. About 50%, as is any LEAF I've seen fresh off the boat (mine included).

That's good to know, thank you for confirming that! I would think that the battery has received a forming charge at the factory, and the reference to light and A/C makes me wonder if they bring down the SOC manually before the ship leaves Japan.

GaslessInSeattle
Delivery Date: 29 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 850

Mon May 14, 2012 3:52 pm

This would seem to favor the conclusion that 50% puts the least age on the battery. I'm not going to be anal about hitting 50% but I am going to do my best to reduce time at high SOC, even 80% which simply means I'm not going to plug in everywhere I go, every time I get out of the car if the car is going to be sitting for a long time. My guess is that it's shades of gray in both directions from 50% with black being at either end. On the other hand I'm not going to avoid charging to 80 or 100%, i'm just not going to leave the car in that state for long at any one time. Since being charged and ready is a favorable state, I naturally do not leave the car at a low SOC, so no change needed in that habit. seems it may turn out that the battery's life is measured in how many hours/days/years it spends at very low or very high SOC and at what temperature.

TonyWilliams wrote:That has a tick in the box for 6 bars at the port of entry. About 50%, as is any LEAF I've seen fresh off the boat (mine included).
Gasless: Silver 2012 SL, traded in for Lease on 1/13
Tesla S P85, Gray, pano, carbon fiber, took delivery: 2-9-13... LOVE this car!
9.8 kW PV Solar installed 9/12, http://www.westseattlenaturalenergy.com

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”