Phoenix 100 Mile EV Rally May 6th 2012

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jstack6

In Sunny Phoenix Arizona , On May 6 th we will have a 100 mile EV rally. We planned a route that goes around 20 EVSE charge locations. Points will be earned for driving the most efficient, not the fastest. So far we have 5 Tesla roadsters, 2 LEAFS and 2 MiEVs. We may even have 1 rare Smart-ED enter.

We start on Central Ave at the Burton Barr library that has 3 EVSE and is covered with solar PV shaded parking. We end at Rio Salado College on 14th street just off price that has 6 EVSE's. A party will be at the Fieta Resort just 2 blocks away at Priest and Broadway.

I've had up to 6.4 miles per KwH on a round trip but it may be hard to beat a smaller lighter MiEV or Smart-ED. We will see. In fact the Tesla with it's strong Regen braking might just beat us all.

Burton-Barr is a good start, and they have 4 EVSEs, not 3. Didn't think they were covered.

Check out Rio Solado before you finalize this. Last I checked, Priuses and minivans were blocking 6 of the spots, during the week and weekend.
From Plugshare:

Dave 1 Blink in Garage is marked 'EV Only' but had an ICE car parked at the spot
Dave 6 Blink units: Several campus cars parked there during weekday, but 2 spots available. No restaurants, but RioCafe (cafeteria) has Wifi and outdoor picnic area with 4 table

However, I did email Blink about the Rio Solado issue, so perhaps that is different now.

Any speed limit or at least a time limit? I can get well over 12 mpkWh if I keep my speed under 20mph. Seems like it may become a competition on who is willing to be the most obnoxious driver unless a min speed is set.

TickTock said:
Any speed limit or at least a time limit? I can get well over 12 mpkWh if I keep my speed under 20mph. Seems like it may become a competition on who is willing to be the most obnoxious driver unless a min speed is set.
Can you elaborate distance, temp, and others. Once I did 100 miles @ 7 mkWh from 80%, but that is the best

EdmondLeaf said:
TickTock said:
Can you elaborate distance, temp, and others. Once I did 100 miles @ 7 mkWh from 80%, but that is the best

My best was about 8.5 miles/kWh at 12 mph, on a level, sea level 2.5 mile loop at 70F. I honestly can't imagine 12m/kWh, unless there is some outside factor (downhill, high density altitude, tailwind, etc).

I was doing laps on a closed track (sortof - a housing development near my house that froze during the crash so all the streets are in but no houses - very flat). Sure wouldn't want to do it for 10 hours, though... Spent several hours taking data at different speeds before I realized the dash meter pegged at 8 :-( Got 8.0 using that method for 24, 19, 15, and 9 mph, 5 laps each. Then I got wise and used the center console at 10mph to get the 12mpkwh reading but was too tired at that point to take more data at different speeds.

Man you guys are fast. Impossible to edit a post before a reply! :) Anyway, a confession: "well over 12" may have been a tad bold. What I got on my 5 lap, 2.4 mile test run at 9mph was 11.5mpkWh. I ignored all the stop signs and made use of every available lane during my turns.

Attachments

• 11 2520- 25201.jpg
    11 2520- 25201.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 87
TickTock said:

No minimum speed limit, but there is a max of 6 hours (changed from 10) for the route so you would have to average at least 17mph, probably more because you have to stop at each station and answer a question or two before you go to the next station.

I participated in the Valley of the Sun's first 100 mile EV Efficiency Rally yesterday and they officially recorded 101 miles @ 8.3m/kW h/dash and 8.5m/kW h/console. They (officials) said I used only about 11kW hs of battery. Later, I continued on since I still had 28% SoC left from my first charge (85%) and reached 151 miles (I drove 50 miles using only the bottom two bars) with the same m/kW h and still using the original charge. I reached LBW @ 118 miles. I still have 4.7% SoC left and didn't reach Turtle (1.4%). Even though we went to about 12 charging stations throughout the valley, I never used any. I could have gone at least 170 miles if I could have started with a full capacity charge (94-95%). All of the driving was done on city streets. We had a nice big yellow sticker on our back window so other drivers would understand why were going slower than the speed limit. In all of those miles, I never had any drivers honk at me or bother me. I received a lot of 'thumb ups'. I'll post some photos later. :mrgreen:

"LEAFfan"
I .. reached 151 miles (I drove 50 miles using only the bottom two bars) with the same m/kW h and still using the original charge. I reached LBW @ 118 miles...
You may hold the LEAF range record for quite a while, congratulations.

At how many miles, did you get the VLBW?

Do you know what your total kWh use was, after the LBW?

Unless I misunderstand, it sounds like your drive shows that the bar display (and the LBW) do not correspond to the same levels of SOC, under very high m/kWh levels, as in more common lower ranges of m/kWh.

Did you happen to record either the gid count, or "time to charge" from the dash, as your range bars were consumed?

edatoakrun said:
"LEAFfan"
I .. reached 151 miles (I drove 50 miles using only the bottom two bars) with the same m/kW h and still using the original charge. I reached LBW @ 118 miles...
Thanks.
Well, I drove 33 miles after LBW, so it was around 140.
I don't keep track of that, but I was at about 28% SoC when I was at 101 miles, and the officials told me I had used about 11kW hs. I would guess that since I started with 85%, I probably had around 19kW hs (instead of 21) when I started the rally so maybe around 16kW h used after LBW?
Unless I misunderstand, it sounds like your drive shows that the bar display (and the LBW) do not correspond to the same levels of SOC, under very high m/kWh levels, as in more common lower ranges of m/kWh.
Actually, they were the same: LBW @ 17.4% SoC/two bars and VLBW @ 8.5%/one bar. Turtle is 1.4% when driving slow. But I did surprise myself when I drove 50 miles using just two bars.
Did you happen to record either the gid count, or "time to charge" from the dash, as your range bars were consumed?
My LEAF ScanGauge doesn't have the raw numbers available even though that's what it uses to figure the SoC. The 'time to charge' has never been even close to actual (haven't had update), so I don't even look at it.

LEAFfan, Did you see the 17.4% SOC level at LBW indicated on this drive, or are you reporting from previous observations?

33 miles, from LBW to the end, on 12.7% (17.4%-4.7%) of a total battery capacity of 21 kWh , indicates about 2.7 kWh used.

That’s well over 12 m/kWh, for those 33 miles.

Do I understand your report, and is my math correct?

Did those last 33 miles involve a significant descent in altitude? That’s the only way to achieve over 12 m/kWh, in my experience.

Otherwise, the 33 miles you drove from LBW, as well as the 50 miles you reported on two bars, would seem to me to indicate that both the bar display and battery warnings are variable, rather than indicating fixed percentages of battery capacity.

LEAFfan said:
edatoakrun said:
"LEAFfan"
Thanks.
Well, I drove 33 miles after LBW, so it was around 140.
I don't keep track of that, but I was at about 28% SoC when I was at 101 miles, and the officials told me I had used about 11kW hs. I would guess that since I started with 85%, I probably had around 19kW hs (instead of 21) when I started the rally so maybe around 16kW h used after LBW?
Actually, they were the same: LBW @ 17.4% SoC/two bars and VLBW @ 8.5%/one bar. Turtle is 1.4% when driving slow. But I did surprise myself when I drove 50 miles using just two bars.
My LEAF ScanGauge doesn't have the raw numbers available even though that's what it uses to figure the SoC. The 'time to charge' has never been even close to actual (haven't had update), so I don't even look at it.

2873hh2.jpg

aschh.jpg

14sfucl.jpg

Back