Did Carwings (or Consult III+) "rat out" my Battery?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They replaced Module 35 (cell-pair 69 and 70) because 69 was
apparently not doing what it should be doing.

Module 35 is on the left side, they say.

No indication of how the problem was initially discovered.

Perhaps the driver's posterior overheated that Module?

Tonight "Stanley" will charge to 100% and we will read
the GIDs in the morning.

garygid said:
They replaced Module 35 (cell-pair 69 and 70) because 69 was
apparently not doing what it should be doing.
Gary, was the module replaced at the dealership or did they have to ship the Leaf (or the battery pack) to a specialized tech center?

well glad you resolved your issues, Gary. would be nice to find out how the issue was discovered. what was time frame from when you had your battery check and the notification you had a problem?

DaveinOlyWA said:
would be nice to find out how the issue was discovered. what was time frame from when you had your battery check and the notification you had a problem?
Dave, I remember reading here or on the Tesla forum that Kevin Sharpe had a similar experience with his Roadster. Presumably, the issue was detected remotely with the help of the data the car transmits over the air. I won't want to speculate too much, but it might be worth asking how Tesla does it, and direct the same questions at Nissan. Based on the number of pages reserved for module replacements in the service manual, one could see that Nissan anticipates this type of service to be fairly commonplace. We had a discussion about this last summer at a BayLEAF meeting, and it was assumed then that the pack would have to be shipped to a specialized tech center. This is the case with the ActiveE for instance, but it's a small fleet compared to the number of Leafs in the field.

Not my LEAF, but a friend's StanLeafSteamer, that had a bad
or stuck relay in the battery pack when it was new.

The dealer called about Nissan wanting to see the LEAF within
the week after the annual Battery Pack check was done.

Although it could be the car "ratting itself out", the timing makes
that appear to be a bit suspect.

It is great that Nissan is being proactive about this!

garygid said:
Not my LEAF, but a friend's StanLeafSteamer, that had a bad
or stuck relay in the battery pack when it was new.

The dealer called about Nissan wanting to see the LEAF within
the week after the annual Battery Pack check was done.

Although it could be the car "ratting itself out", the timing makes
that appear to be a bit suspect.

91040 said:
It is, but I'd feel better if the techs at the dealership (and eventually my independent mechanic) were able to see these problems for themselves. For now, these failures are new enough that Nissan's engineers are likely keeping tabs. Later on? Who knows.

davewill said:
91040 said:
It is, but I'd feel better if the techs at the dealership (and eventually my independent mechanic) were able to see these problems for themselves. For now, these failures are new enough that Nissan's engineers are likely keeping tabs. Later on? Who knows.

that will happen. this incident here if it repeats itself will be written into an update that Leaf techs will need to know. the automotive industry is fairly proactive in providing a lot of updated info to its employees but it is usually up to the individual to get that info and retain it and that is not an easy thing to do especially when the volume of new information is most likely substantial

so ya, its not unusual to find a clueless dealer.

Overnight, StanLeafSteamer charged to ...
drumroll ...
281 GIDs (100.0%) on the SOC-Meter! :D :D :D

Yes, it is good that this problem was found.
But, was it a result of the Yearly Battery Check?

I would like to know how to monitor the Pack condition myself.

Nubo said:
Glad to see there is a proactive feature in place. However, so much for "five stars"... :?

The stars thing is a training tool for owners.. the real data is sent to headquarters and examined by engineers.

Gary, how many GIDs would the car take before the fix?.. I you said 97%, is that 272 GIDs?

I hope they find my bad cells then. I've had the 'EV systems light' come on twice now after starting and stay on until I restarted. My SoC gauge only reads 85% now after a 100% charge (used to be 94-95%). I'll be taking it in sometime in early June for the free battery pack check. The odd thing though is even at 85% and 12 bars, I drove 14 miles on the top bar, then 11 on the 2nd.

LEAFfan said:
I hope they find my bad cells then. I've had the 'EV systems light' come on twice now after starting and stay on until I restarted. My SoC gauge only reads 85% now after a 100% charge (used to be 94-95%).
Certainly sounds like there is a bad cell that needs to be replaced. Let us know the outcome.

garygid said:
Ask the dealer if they will do the Battery Check early for you, for free.

Yeah, I'll probably take it in Monday or Tuesday if they will do that. Today, after charging to 100%, the SoC was only 83%. But the light hasn't come on again. I'm planning on doing the 100 mile efficiency run Sunday so it will be interesting how many less miles I'll get. I think I can get at least 7m/kW h which should get me close to 140 before VLBW, but it may make it about 10% short with the bad cell/s.

LEAFfan said:
Yeah, I'll probably take it in Monday or Tuesday if they will do that. Today, after charging to 100%, the SoC was only 83%. But the light hasn't come on again.

Did you lose one of the battery capacity ticks?

Herm said:
LEAFfan said:
Yeah, I'll probably take it in Monday or Tuesday if they will do that. Today, after charging to 100%, the SoC was only 83%. But the light hasn't come on again.

Did you lose one of the battery capacity ticks?

No, you only lose one of those when it has lost 15% or has 85% capacity left.
But, even with my 10% battery capacity loss, I still did 150 miles/8.5 console/8.4 dash (only goes to 8.0 on the readout) on ONE CHARGE yesterday at the EV 100 Mile Efficiency Rally which was all on city streets. I could have done 170 miles if I had started with full capacity. (I'll post the photo shots later for those that are skeptical...lol). :mrgreen:

Back