Official Ford Focus Electric Thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Verge.com has a review on it and heating is also an issue. Noticed that they stated the range was about 73 miles. I would not pay for 40k for any version of a Focus. I think people will be hesitant at something that looks like any other Focus for the most part. I bought a Ford when I was in h.s. and after paid off, everything went wrong and got rid of it. For that and also owning a Chrysler in the past with nothing but trouble, I refuse to buy any American car.

Ian B

evnow said:
No word on trunk space or anything like that.
I doubt it has changed from these earlier pictures which looks like the FFE has half the trunk space vs. the ICE model

232323232%7Ffp63569%3Enu%3D9356%3E75%3B%3E259%3EWSNRCG%3D34%3C965%3A%3B9334%3Anu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp635%3C7%3Enu%3D9356%3E75%3B%3E259%3EWSNRCG%3D34%3C968634234%3Anu0mrj

I wonder how Ed Begley Jr feels now about backing Ford instead of Nissan. I assume he is one of the three people who actually took delivery.

http://www.plugincars.com/ed-begley-jr-becomes-ford-ev-hitman-106656.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

padamson1 said:
evnow said:
No word on trunk space or anything like that.
I doubt it has changed from these earlier pictures which looks like the FFE has half the trunk space vs. the ICE model

232323232%7Ffp63569%3Enu%3D9356%3E75%3B%3E259%3EWSNRCG%3D34%3C965%3A%3B9334%3Anu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp635%3C7%3Enu%3D9356%3E75%3B%3E259%3EWSNRCG%3D34%3C968634234%3Anu0mrj

Sorry but, is not a trunk. Fail!!!! My G27 convertible had more room than that even when the top down.

Ian B

Any mention of QC by Ford??? This car is definitely getting released at an "interesting" time regarding QC format pledges.

TRONZ said:
Any mention of QC by Ford??? This car is definitely getting released at an "interesting" time regarding QC format pledges.

No QC. But - they charge at double the rate of Leaf ;-)

Boomer23 said:
Edmunds also has a first drive impression. They are not as enthusiastic about the drive as Wired seems to be. And since Edmunds reviews cars for a living, I'd trust their impression more:

A Weighty Issue
None of this, however, makes it a remotely good thing to drive. The 2012 Ford Focus Electric may have a slightly longer range than the Nissan Leaf and be even more energy-efficient, but at least the Nissan feels unique from behind the wheel, thanks in no small part to the fact that all of its major masses are centralized low down between the wheels.

Not so in the Focus. Because it's an adaptation of an existing car, Ford had to put the heavy stuff where it fit, which means not only does the Focus Electric have to carry another few hundred pounds of weight, it's all where you don't want it, at the far ends of the car.

Perhaps it would not be so notable were the normal Focus not such an engaging car to drive. The Focus Electric just seems heavy and slow-witted by comparison. Nor is it going to set your heart aflame in a straight line. Like all electric cars it promises much between zero and 20 mph, but it's given its best by 40 mph and is starting to flag at 60 mph. Ford says it tops out at 84 mph and it sensibly declines to post any official acceleration claims.

http://www.insideline.com/ford/focus/2012/2012-ford-focus-electric-first-drive.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ford's Vasa

MrIanB said:
Sorry but, is not a trunk. Fail!!!! My G27 convertible had more room than that even when the top down.
Well that's the trade-off when you re-use an ICE platform, there wasn't any place else to put the battery. But by sharing most of the non-drive-train parts they saved design and manufacturing costs which is reflected in the lower price. Oh hold it FAIL.

However I bet insurances costs will be less for the FFE compared to the LEAF as replacement body parts (shared with the ICE) will be significantly cheaper .

TomT said:
They probably paid him enough that he doesn't care...

palmermd said:
I wonder how Ed Begley Jr feels now about backing Ford instead of Nissan. I assume he is one of the three people who actually took delivery.

True. I thought he was one of the few celebrities who were truly committed to the cause and would not sell out, but I guess anyone can be bought.

palmermd said:
True. I thought he was one of the few celebrities who were truly committed to the cause and would not sell out, but I guess anyone can be bought.
If he was just pushing the FFE and not dissing other plugins that would be fine. I agree that the part where he knocks the competition is indeed a sell out. Sad to see.

padamson1 said:
However I bet insurances costs will be less for the FFE compared to the LEAF as replacement body parts (shared with the ICE) will be significantly cheaper .
No evidence of that. Most insurance companies just go by MSRP till some history is established.

evnow said:
padamson1 said:
No evidence of that. Most insurance companies just go by MSRP till some history is established.

My LEAF just doubled in insurance cost. It now costs more to insure than our 2011 Infiniti G37 convertible.

TonyWilliams said:
evnow said:
padamson1 said:

My LEAF just doubled in insurance cost. It now costs more to insure than our 2011 Infiniti G37 convertible.

Arghh! What company, Tony?

yes, the insurance is very expensive.
I pay more than $1200 a year, for the most I can buy 250-500k with a $500 deductible. i dont even count in the umbrella.
I prolly should go to a higher deductible. It even went up $30 on my yearly renewal, after having the car for 11 months. that is pretty unusual. You would think they would have figured out that most of the driving is sedate compared to a beemer, etc.
safeco.

of course, it is very hard to compare auto insurance because the market is so fragmented even within states. we are good drivers, education discount, multi-car and multi-policy discounts, too.

palmermd said:
TomT said:
They probably paid him enough that he doesn't care...

palmermd said:

Wow just watched the video. It felt super cheap. Like cheap effects and editing... just didn't feel like professional quality.

Also, I'm not understanding the "Butterflies" and how they will eliminate range anxiety... so instead of trees, they have butterflies... that's just lame. (in the same way the trees are lame... the butterflies are even less relevant).

Also, the whole "our charger is 30% cheaper" is funny. I guess they are in on the business of wanting to make people buy an EVSE from them, and not shop around instead of getting ripped off by a dealer. I hope someone buying any EV right now is smart enough to shop around. $799-$899 from Home Depot and Lowe's is way cheaper than going through a dealer.

Back