clunking noise when accelerating from coasting

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tgrich

I have a ? that’s been in the back of my mind. I think it’s related to “gear lash”, which I don’t know really what that means but I think I could be experiencing it. Sometimes when coasting, if I hit the accelerator, I hear a kind of “knock”noise. Kind of like gears (or something else) are engaging audibly. Is this normal? I don't remember it when I first got the car a year ago, but have had it for at least a while now.

Thanks,
Tim

tgrich said:
I have a ? that’s been in the back of my mind. I think it’s related to “gear lash”, which I don’t know really what that means but I think I could be experiencing it. Sometimes when coasting, if I hit the accelerator, I hear a kind of “knock”noise. Kind of like gears (or something else) are engaging audibly. Is this normal? I don't remember it when I first got the car a year ago, but have had it for at least a while now.

Thanks,
Tim

Tim, I don't know what you're hearing, but the gears are "constant mesh", and never disengage. The only changes are which direction they turn and how fast.

Its not gears per se, but it does sounds like something is engaging when I accelerate from coasting. I can also hear it occasionally when I'm the accelerator is pressed and I let off quickly.

Could it be ABS self check noise?

http://www.autocarepronews.com/Article/92846/tech_tip_nissan_abs_selfcheck_noise.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

arnold

It's def not from inside the cabin, its from the front near the wheels or under the hood.
It's not the ABS self check as this happens repeatedly and at different speeds.

tgrich said:
It's def not from inside the cabin, its from the front near the wheels or under the hood.
It's not the ABS self check as this happens repeatedly and at different speeds.
It can be lots of things: loose suspension piece, loose/broken engine mount(s), loose component (e.g. the horn coming loose, dangling by its connector) knocking about, etc.

If it's easily reproducible, I would propose taking it to the dealer. I prefer to save my ESP power for figuring out why some people are bent out of shape by one extra button push.
:) :D ;)
airguitar.gif

aqn said:
If it's easily reproducible, I would propose taking it to the dealer.
+1
There are many things that could cause this symptom, mostly centering around looseness, wear, misalignment, etc. of front suspension or driveshaft assemblies.
Page6.jpg

Have the dealer inspect it. The only clunks I have heard in our car under those conditions have been from the cans of soup rolling around in the glovebox, backseat, or trunk that my wife gives away to the homeless panhandlers at street corners. :roll:

TT

I have a somewhat similar problem: In slow stop and go drinving conditions (city) I can hear a light clunck noise when I accelerate and then another one (a bit louder) when I break and the car is about to stop (less than 5mph).

The slowing down clunck occurs when I think the mechanical brakes would take over regen. It doesn't happen immediately when I press the brake pedal. So I suspect one of the brake pads is not properly seated in its caliper and is moves. Hence the noise. It's not bad enough and so far I've been too busy to take a look at it myself. Most likely I'll have it checked out by the dealer during my next scheduled maintenance.

i hadnt noticed it before because i usually have the radio on, but i hear a pretty good clunk when shifting from forward to reverse and so on

DaveinOlyWA said:
i hadnt noticed it before because i usually have the radio on, but i hear a pretty good clunk when shifting from forward to reverse and so on
Interesting. With mine I don't hear any cluck when I go from D to R and back. Just a change in the *whooosh* of the inverter. The only other clunck I can hear is when I release the brake pedal after putting the car in P if I'm not park perfectly flat.

I'm just back from my garage where I've removed the front wheels to check on the brakepads and calipers. Nothing loose that I could feel or hear around the brakes, suspension or steering. I'll ask for the dealer when I go for my 30K maintenance.

Somewhat unrelated: While I had one front wheel up I put the car in drive and the wheel was spinning slowly. Then when I gently press on the accelerator pedal, the wheel would spin faster like a regular car would (and not move because of the differential). But after just a second or so, it would rattle like if the ABS was activated and almost come to a stop. I think the traction system must get very confused when it doesn't have all all its wheels on the ground. Same in D or Eco. Not a problem IMO but an interesting difference with a traditional ICE transmission.

ericsf said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
Interesting. With mine I don't hear any cluck when I go from D to R and back. Just a change in the *whooosh* of the inverter. The only other clunck I can hear is when I release the brake pedal after putting the car in P if I'm not park perfectly flat.

hmmm, now that is a reason for concern. i wish i had checked this when i got my LEAF now. but like i said; my clunk is very loud and sounds like a regular tranny shifting. i think i need to have my u - joints checked out or something

UPDATE:

When I had my one year service completed, I told the dealer about the issue of the clunking. When I received my car back, the noise was gone. I was told they tightened everything underneath. I don't know the details, but whatever they did, it's now fixed.

well, i tried it earlier today and the clunking is gone. not sure why but will definitely be listening for it in the future. right now all i hear is a kinda click if shifting from park to a moving gear which i think is normal

Getting back to (LUG-NUT) I had one come lose in my MIATA..When I shifted the noise would echo inside the car so loud, I thought the driveline or clutch was going out..Just tightning the lugs down to my surprise eliminated the noise..

My 2012 is starting to clunk with under 5,000 miles (barely noticeable, happens when accelerating from coasting). Sounds sort of like the bad u-joints on my Crown Vic, but not quite as harsh. Almost the same noise it makes when I release the brakes after putting it in park while on an incline (with no parking brake engaged).

I accidentally started another thread, but I am experiencing a clunk right as I come to a stop. It comes from the area left of the steering wheel in the dash. Doesn't sound as far forward as the engine compartment.

Cheezmo said:
I accidentally started another thread, but I am experiencing a clunk right as I come to a stop. It comes from the area left of the steering wheel in the dash. Doesn't sound as far forward as the engine compartment.

ya i saw that and i dont think yours is the same issue. my clunk (the one i can no longer produce) was definite coming from the "transmission" area sound and it sounded exactly like an old style transmission shifting from drive to reverse.

but once again, now that i am listening for it, it simply clicks like i remember it doing before

i thinking of what might be different from then to now, my only thought are changes in the condition of the brakes. they are rarely used in my case, but i am not the only driver and it was after a first time 3 day stretch where she drove and wondering if she used the brakes enough maybe rub some of the rust off causing a slightly different sound?

Cheezmo said:

I hope you don't think I was being mean, the noise you had described sounded like something I had read here earlier. Reading back through I realize they aren't close. :oops:

The only suspicious clunk I hear is when I put the car in R and start backing up while holding the brake pedal down, it seems to come from the front left wheel, I also can feel it slightly through the steering column. I suspect brake pads have little fore/aft play in the caliper. I did experience similar effects with other cars in the past. Anyone else?

Back