Navi safety override?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe I missed it (or forgot).

Did you post the details on adding an AUX Audio-Video input, where the A-V could be shown on the Nav screen while parked?

Is it three RCA jacks, standard resolution NTSC video, and stereo audio?

How is that new "Aux A-V" function selected for viewing?

Thanks, Gary

garygid said:

Did you post the details on adding an AUX Audio-Video input, where the A-V could be shown on the Nav screen while parked?

Thanks, Gary

You haven't missed anything because I haven't posted details, mainly because I haven't done it on the Leaf yet. I have done it on other Nissan vehicles with the same head unit.

It is three RCA jacks carrying standard NTSC composite video (yellow) and stereo audio (red/white)

Selection is via the source button on the head unit; on some Nissan vehicles the Aux option is already included but no physical input and on others some reprogramming is required to add the Aux input to the list of sources in addition to adding the physical connections.

garygid said:
Has anybody tried "inserting" a "low-speed" pulse train, to make the car think that it is still moving, but slowly?

What speed is slow enough to activate the menus, maybe 1 or 2 mph?

At that "fake" speed, is the GPS positioning still active?

Am I missing something or is the entire purpose of the speed sensor with regards to GPS to provide additional information to increase the accuracy? Thus giving it inaccurate information is still a problem. So even if you faked it with a slow signal you are going to have the same problem only to a lesser degree. When I've driven around with the speed sensor turned off it'll stay still and then every once in a while jump closer to where I am. I assume it uses the speed sensor to fill in the gaps between these updates and augments with the compass and it knows which direction to move you.

Anyway, I do like the idea of a light so you can tell if you forgot to turn it off. The carkit harness exposes the wires for you and it also resets every time you turn the car off so that's a nice bonus if you do forget to turn the override off. Not sure what kind of circuit you'd need to add for a light though.

bdl99 said:
garygid said:

Thanks, Gary

You haven't missed anything because I haven't posted details, mainly because I haven't done it on the Leaf yet. I have done it on other Nissan vehicles with the same head unit.

It is three RCA jacks carrying standard NTSC composite video (yellow) and stereo audio (red/white)

Selection is via the source button on the head unit; on some Nissan vehicles the Aux option is already included but no physical input and on others some reprogramming is required to add the Aux input to the list of sources in addition to adding the physical connections.

When you say the same head unit you mean the Clarion unit, correct? Are you sure this is the same unit as other Nissan models

EVDRIVER said:
bdl99 said:
garygid said:

Thanks, Gary

When you say the same head unit you mean the Clarion unit, correct? Are you sure this is the same unit as other Nissan models

Correct, the units are not identical physically, pins are move around and configured slightly differently with different versions of the software but the internal hardware is the same.

QueenBee said:
garygid said:
Has anybody tried "inserting" a "low-speed" pulse train, to make the car think that it is still moving, but slowly?

What speed is slow enough to activate the menus, maybe 1 or 2 mph?

At that "fake" speed, is the GPS positioning still active?

Am I missing something or is the entire purpose of the speed sensor with regards to GPS to provide additional information to increase the accuracy? Thus giving it inaccurate information is still a problem. So even if you faked it with a slow signal you are going to have the same problem only to a lesser degree. When I've driven around with the speed sensor turned off it'll stay still and then every once in a while jump closer to where I am. I assume it uses the speed sensor to fill in the gaps between these updates and augments with the compass and it knows which direction to move you.

Anyway, I do like the idea of a light so you can tell if you forgot to turn it off. The carkit harness exposes the wires for you and it also resets every time you turn the car off so that's a nice bonus if you do forget to turn the override off. Not sure what kind of circuit you'd need to add for a light though.

The speed sensor is really for dead reckoning and does help with the accuracy, but given improvements in the GPS technology and the fact the position is overlaid on a map the need for dead reckoning is less important these days (It is useful for things like going through tunnels etc). If you think about the portable devices like TomTom etc, they do not have the speed sensor and do a pretty good job without it.

The thing is at the moment the navigation system doesn't even bother to check the location via satellites if it doesn't think you are moving. If we could trick the system in to at least using the location from the satellite the hope would be that it would be a lot better than nothing.

The question is of course how important this all is, because if the only reason for enabling the bypass is to enter a location or use an otherwise disabled function then is the fact the location isn't updated for the few seconds an issue.

Regarding the light, I would be happy to add a light to the circuit if that is what people want (it will only add a few cents to the cost). The question of course is where to mount it and I would look for something that can be easily mounted. I know you already have a kit, so I will make sure whatever I come up with that I will find some way of easily retrofitting to your kit.

You mean like how the LEAF says you arrive at the destination two blocks early :lol: :lol:

garygid said:
1. Cut the wire and bring out both ends, as if you are adding a switch. At the same time, bring out a Ground (and 12v if relatively easy).

2. Use a scope (inverter or battery-powered) to measure the pulse shapes, and frequency, at the Menu-enabling speed.

3. Connect a "slow-speed" pulse generator th the Nav input and test out the GPS and LEAF function at higher speeds.

4. Try switching between the "real" and "low-speed" signals.

5. If it all works, make a small circuit to generate the "low-speed" signal, and wire it and the "real" signal to a SPDT switch.

6. Presto!

Of course this could be done old-school with a LM555, but a microcontroller would be far better and likely less component count. Maybe I'll combine this feature with my 3N ("Nissan No-Nag") add-on to the head unit. I've figured out how to remove the nag message, but the installation requires substantial dissassembly of the unit and soldering (at present).

If this can all be combined into one, then maybe the installation hassle is worth it!

-Phil

Ingineer said:
Of course this could be done old-school with a LM555, but a microcontroller would be far better and likely less component count. Maybe I'll combine this feature with my 3N ("Nissan No-Nag") add-on to the head unit. I've figured out how to remove the nag message, but the installation requires substantial dissassembly of the unit and soldering (at present).

If this can all be combined into one, then maybe the installation hassle is worth it!

-Phil

Ah, the good old 555 timing chip, haven't used one of those in a while. The first thing of course is to see if this approach is even going to work.

Regarding the Nag screen, does the enter button on the steering wheel (or any other buttons) not get rid of the nag screen? That would be a lot easier to simulate and minimize the amount of dis-assembly required. I know that approach works on other Nissan's but not checked the leaf.

bdl99 said:
Regarding the Nag screen, does the enter button on the steering wheel (or any other buttons) not get rid of the nag screen? That would be a lot easier to simulate and minimize the amount of dis-assembly required. I know that approach works on other Nissan's but not checked the leaf.

No, it doesn't match my Infiniti G37, where I can use my left thumb on the wheel to press enter. The LEAF's Clarion A/V uses an older version of the Microsoft firmware. Maybe that saved Nissan $2 per install?

There are currently two methods to handle the nag screen; physically press the button on the screen, or press any other button to ignore it. Or do nothing, I guess.

TonyWilliams said:
bdl99 said:

No, it doesn't match my Infiniti G37, where I can use my left thumb on the wheel to press enter. The LEAF's Clarion A/V uses an older version of the Microsoft firmware. Maybe that saved Nissan $2 per install?

There are currently two methods to handle the nag screen; physically press the button on the screen, or press any other button to ignore it. Or do nothing, I guess.

When you say "or press any other button to ignore it" is that is any of the physical buttons regarding the AV unit like "Map", "Menu", "Status" but not the volume buttons?

garygid said:
Easy to get the Warning off with a "Reject".
Getting it off with an "Accept" was the more difficult task.

Aha, thanks. So the only way to "Accept" is to press the screen or simulate pressing the screen?

Driving under about 4 mph, the menus are enabled. So, I drove 3 mph and the car-location on the map still updates.

So, trying a pulse-generator (or pulse blocker), would seem to be a reasonable experiment.

Usually, the typical GPS receiver chip generates new position information once a second. Some GPS receivers can do it 10 times a second.

The car probably updates the calculated position "continuously" with the car-sensor data (steering turn and wheel rotation), but it is probably only used
1. if the GPS position seems erratic, or
2. when there is no GPS, or
3. perhaps it is used until the GPS consistantly indicates a different location??

In normal operation, the LEAF's Nav seems to update the map/position very well, about every half-second, as I recall.

I assume Ingineer is saying that he found a (difficult) way to do the difficult ("Accept") task.

He already had a simple way to do the easy ("Reject") task, as I recall.

Yes, Gary is correct. I think I've figured out a neat and elegant way for this all to work.

Basically, you watch the screen for a touch event, and if so, you buffer the speed pulses, and begin allowing them out, but at a throttled rate. Then after a certain timeout, the throttling is removed. So anytime you touch the screen, the lockout is temporarily removed, the touch is processed, and you have a few seconds to continue selecting things. Meanwhile, the position might accumulate some error, but at least the system will still indicate progress and update via GPS. And if your average speed is still pretty low, such as driving in the city with stop/go traffic, the system will "catch up" even if you continue to touch the screen, and if you are driving fast, while continuing to touch, the error will eventually be corrected by GPS.

Of course, this same system automatically presses "ok" for you upon startup.

Gary, it looks like they will update the position once the error is over a certain threshold.

Yes, I can make the nag go away via the Nav CAN bus, but that effectively denies the agreement. This new method Ok's it.

-Phil

garygid said:
I assume Ingineer is saying that he found a (difficult) way to do the difficult ("Accept") task.

He already had a simple way to do the easy ("Reject") task, as I recall.

Yes, the "difficult" piece is really the effort required to get to the required points. My interest is in finding solutions that are simple to install even if that means the solution may be more difficult. I've not really played with the Nag screen overrides in a while because currently I don't have that issue so apologies if I'm going over old ground.

garygid said:
Driving under about 4 mph, the menus are enabled. So, I drove 3 mph and the car-location on the map still updates.

So, trying a pulse-generator (or pulse blocker), would seem to be a reasonable experiment.

Great, thanks for trying that and reporting back.

Back