Navi safety override?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is not worth the better part of $200 with shipping, etc. to me, but some might find it to be a reasonable ROI..

QueenBee said:
He hasn't updated the website yet but this is the kit he sent me:
http://www.carkitcompany.com/nissan-murano/murano-bypass-remote-htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TomT said:
It is not worth the better part of $200 with shipping, etc. to me, but some might find it to be a reasonable ROI..

QueenBee said:
He hasn't updated the website yet but this is the kit he sent me:
http://www.carkitcompany.com/nissan-murano/murano-bypass-remote-htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yeah, it's spendy but I was lured in by not having to modify the OEM wiring harness and I got a discount for trying it out and taking pictures.

DarkStar said:
QueenBee said:
Here are the instructions I made up for installing the Car Kit Company Bypass kit.

http://kemp.it/keith/leaf-nav-override.html
Gotta say, that's a really slick mod.

Yeah, I think there is a serious bit of a time in making all the harnesses. From what I've read it's not always easy to find the right connectors which is a shame since this way of modifying a OEM wire harness is soo much nicer than cutting into them. Tying into the HomeLink buttons is a neat feature but I probably would have been amendable to just using a physical switch.

Hi all, I just wanted to introduce myself, I'm Brian from Car Kit Company and the makers of the remote Bypass kit.

Firstly I wanted to thank QueenBee for being the Guinea Pig and trying the kit and taking some install pictures. The harness on the Leaf was different to other Nissan Vehicles we support but everything else was the same and therefore we were very confident that it would work.

Please let me know if you have any questions, I know one question is normally around the cost and straight from our website

Q: Can you tell me about the cost, I've seen DIY instructions that only require cheap parts?

A: The value in this kit is it is completly plug and play and the plug and play harness sets this solution apart from all the others. There are no wires to cut and the kit could be removed at anytime returning the car to the factory state. This kit can be installed in 15-20 minutes by simply following the instructions, DIY solutions require cutting and splicing wires which is very time consuming and requires technical knowledge.

Picture with center console, with Panasonic Navigation computer removed. Super easy to get to this point. Lift black covering around the unit straight up, pull the bottom out slightly when it pops up, then lift again to unhook it from the top.

Pull top out a few inches, then remove the wire from the four-way emergency flasher button. Just push down on the center locking tab, and pull out. Just drop assembly down to the cup holders.

There are four Phillips head bolts around the Panasonic that take a somewhat long screwdriver to take out. Literally, 2 minutes so far, and one tool.

45f5200d.jpg

garygid said:
I suspect it means: "If you Drop it, it's useless."
Google says: "It has been dropped on the floor should be discarded"

(Can't seem to post the transcribed Japanese though - causes an SQL error)
=Smidge=

^^^
This is why I created the plug and play kits.

Some are very comfortable cutting wires on the factory harness and cutting/drilling holes in the dash, but many more are not. I'm not against the DIY approach and I've actually helped owners with DIY solutions. The thing is that only a small percentage of owners are comfortable taking the DIY approach and some of those who are more than capable of doing it don't want to (that is the bracket I fall in to).

With my kit it is simply a case of taking the kit:
IMG_3208.JPG

and then 15 minutes later with only a Philips screwdriver you are done! With no cutting or drilling and it is completely reversible, because you can remove it just as easily as you installed it. The main cost is in the plug and play harness so I maximize that sunk cost by adding the parking brake bypass and the rear camera override. The remote solution was to avoid having to mount a switch and I use an RF remote which can be paired with the homelink buttons on the rear view mirror for those who would rather not carry or used the keyfob remote.

Something else to consider is if you pay a shop to effectively take the DIY approach, it would probably cost you more in labor and it wouldn't be reversible and of course wouldn't have the other extra features.

Back