100 Mile Club, 200 km, 300 km, 200 Mile Club (24kWh LEAF)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see it now because i looked it up using the computer.

I religiously use my iPad for most items, including searching the web. So when I navigate to lovemyleaf.com, it takes me to m.lovemyleaf.com (the mobile site) which is seems to be a scaled down version of the full website.

Sorry for making it seem that it wasn't there. Tony, have you tried your site from a mobile device (iOS)? Is there another way to see the full site from a mobile device?

TonyWilliams said:
You still had a mile or two to go on LBW, and six or seven on VLB.

By the way, the warnings are indexed to a set number of watt/hours left in the battery (49 Gid x 73 Wh available per Gid = 3577 watt/hours), which is about 17% of 21 kWh available to you in standard conditions.

Tony -- You were quite right.

The next day, I went ahead and drove another 7.3 miles before charging. I first hit LBW at 92.2 miles. I hit VLB at 104.3, which makes for 2 more miles as you predicted. I was in a recharging "no-mans-land", so, I gingerly nursed it along another 5.2 miles passed VLB to get to my destination to plug in:

20120323074843_IMG_0743-2.jpg

I had to clear the frost off the windshield that morning with temps in the low 30's.

mkjayakumar said:
I am not sure how you guys manage to get these fantastic 100+ range and 5.5+ miles/Kwh.. The best I have got so far is 94 miles range at VLB at 4.8Kwh and all that doing city driving at around 30 to 40 mph .

I was getting 5.5m/kwh on city streets with lots of stop lights and without any climate control. My daily round-trip commute has ~15 miles of stop-lighted city streets that are posted at 45MPH. I generally shoot for 40 on those since that's what many people are doing anyway. The remaining 5 miles of commute are posted at 25-35.

I did do some serious hypermilling for the last 30 miles of the charge. By "hypermiling", that means coasting up to red lights that are still hundreds of yards away and trying to stay off the brake pedal. However, I am cognizant of being a moving road block all the while and will adjust accordingly if I'm becoming a source of traffic congestion.

That said, you don't really have to drive perfectly every single mile to do this. I did freeway time with the occasional speeds in excess of 60mph and full 80KHW acceleration to successfully merge, etc. I had a couple of abrupt stops from >40PH that were boarding on ABS activation, and (thus, no regen) due to lights changing right in front of me.

I think the real trick is:
1) avoid high speeds
2) be smooth on the brake pedal. Press the pedal too quickly and the car thinks you are making a panic stop even if you haven't pressed very hard and have only mild deceleration. In panic stop mode, you don't get much regen.
3) climate control, or, lack there ;)

foobert said:
TonyWilliams said:
You still had a mile or two to go on LBW, and six or seven on VLB.

By the way, the warnings are indexed to a set number of watt/hours left in the battery (49 Gid x 73 Wh available per Gid = 3577 watt/hours), which is about 17% of 21 kWh available to you in standard conditions.

Tony -- You were quite right.

The next day, I went ahead and drove another 7.3 miles before charging. I first hit LBW at 92.2 miles. I hit VLB at 104.3, which makes for 2 more miles as you predicted. I was in a recharging "no-mans-land", so, I gingerly nursed it along another 5.2 miles passed VLB to get to my destination to plug in:

I had to clear the frost off the windshield that morning with temps in the low 30's.

You still had a bit to go. When you get that low, you need to start watching the concentric circles around the "power bubbles". Just like the regen concentric circles that aren't there when regen isn't available (like from a 100% charge), those power concentric circles will start disappearing as it approaches turtle mode.

Good job.

The original N1ghtrider just achieved my tenth 100 mile-plus range on a single charge :cool: , with 106.3 miles. LBW at 93.2. Never hit VLB. My Carwings shows 6.0 m/kWh on this charge; the dash indicator shows 5.7.

This 106.3 miles was over 6 days (I was out of town for 3 days driving my hybrid) in warm weather with a/c on only for about 30 miles. I drove under 50 mph on city streets for all but about 15 miles.

My cumulative tally is 1,112.4 miles of driving on charges of more than 100 miles, out of a total 2,554 miles, or 43.55% of my total driving achieving 100-miles plus per charge.

2012-03-24145327.jpg

2012-03-24145254.jpg

N1ghtrider said:
The original N1ghtrider just achieved my tenth 100 mile-plus range on a single charge :cool: , with 106.3 miles.
Sooo.... I'm curious. Do you just like to show off your efficient driving or is there some other reason why you don't simply use 80% charges and keep the SOC near the middle of the pack were you will maximize battery life?

drees said:
Sooo.... I'm curious. Do you just like to show off your efficient driving or is there some other reason why you don't simply use 80% charges and keep the SOC near the middle of the pack were you will maximize battery life?
Thank you, I was about to ask the same question, but didn't have the heart to do it. It looks like cycling losses are minimal with the Leaf, and as long as N1ghtrider is having fun, he absolutely should continue. It's worth noting however that keeping a regimen of deep cycles is not be the best protocol for battery longevity. If possible, I would at least steer clear of the very low battery warning.

Nah, Nightrider is ok as long as he does not keep his battery at 100% for too long.. A low battery is less efficient and produces more heat but he is a gentle driver.

N1ghtrider said:
I leased the Leaf so the battery should last 36,000 miles at 100%, right?
There is no battery capacity warranty, but if you are leasing I certainly wouldn't worry about battery capacity loss as much as if I owned it.

Florida's flat roads and temps in the 70s let me achieve more than 100 miles (106.2) for the 11th time in my LEAF's first 2,660 miles. That makes 1,218.6 miles on single 100-plus mile charges, or 45.8% of my total driving. I hit low bat at 91.3; zero bars at 105.0; vlb at 105.7 and --- at 106.
106milesonsinglecharge.jpg
5.8 m/kWh this charge.

It will be interesting to see in the next couple of years,how much battery degragation there is between 100% chargers and 80%..

Im 14k+ miles of 100% charging..Winter I avg 105+ per charge,the summer 120+ per charge..5.9 M/KW..

I thought I would break city charging distance records this winter in Phx, but to my surprise,cold batteries mean,less charging miles..So my winter avg went down to 105+ miles..
I actually do much better mileage doing the hot summer months with the AC on then doing the colder (40*)winter months..

I would love to see a battery study between my car @ 50K miles,where I charge the car to 100% 3 days a week,to someone else, who charges their car to 80% everyday..

mark13 said:
Im 14k+ miles of 100% charging..Winter I avg 105+ per charge,the summer 120+ per charge..5.9 M/KW...
I actually do much better mileage doing the hot summer months with the AC on then doing the colder (40*)winter months..

I would love to see a battery study between my car @ 50K miles,where I charge the car to 100% 3 days a week,to someone else, who charges their car to 80% everyday..

Cold weather means heater use and reduced battery capacity. Hot weather means increased battery capacity and more efficient air conditioner use (more efficient than the heater).

Hot weather also means higher stress on the battery.

I'm going to guess you don't actually drive those quoted miles ? This is in the first post:

The GuessOmeter has nothing to do with this. Please don't even reference what that meter says. Only actual odometer reading. No CarWings data, either; even the latest firmware update has the mileage data 2.5% off

EdmondLeaf said:
This is from 80% this morning. Should I try to attempt 100 miles from 80% or is this good enough to qualify for 100 mile club?

Post your experiences with joining the 100 miles Club and 200 km Club; that is, driving 100 miles or even better, 200 km (124.3 miles) or more, without a charge. This is not estimated, or thought you could, or maybe you got close.... your car actually powered the wheels for 100 miles or more without a charge.

The GuessOmeter has nothing to do with this. Please don't even reference what that meter says. Only actual odometer reading. No CarWings data, either.

In other words, KEEP DRIVING !!!!!!

EdmondLeaf said:
This is from 80% this morning. Should I try to attempt 100 miles from 80% or is this good enough to qualify for 100 mile club?
Yes, keep on driving! With your energy economy, you should start with a 100% charge and go for a the long-distance record :)

surfingslovak said:
EdmondLeaf said:
Yes, keep on driving! With your energy economy, you should start with a 100% charge and go for a the long-distance record :)
I am 6 miles short from 100 miles from 80%. I am going for 100 miles, even I hate to drive for no reason. Will report soon. Now I have 8 miles left on LBW.

img9208j.jpg

I never intended or thought I will be able to do this so I started with 80% charge, but we had a lot of unexpected driving to do, once I did 70 miles I knew I will be able to go around 100 miles. Last 6 miles for no reason, just to go over 100. Most of the miles I had 4 people in the car plus some load. I am not sure how many more miles I will do with what is left, but because I need more that 50 tomorrow I am going to charge now. Maybe I should start with 100% and go for total driven record but I am not Tony - just beginner.

EdmondLeaf said:
Maybe I should start with 100% and go for total driven record but I am not Tony - just beginner.

Oh, you've already beat me, because I've never done 100 miles from 80% !!! By the power invested in me by the 100 Mile Club, I hereby proclaim you to be a certified member, with all the honors and duties that every member receives.

Congratulations.

Tony

EdmondLeaf said:
I never intended or thought I will be able to do this so I started with 80% charge, but we had a lot of unexpected driving to do, once I did 70 miles I knew I will be able to go around 100 miles. Last 6 miles for no reason, just to go over 100. Most of the miles I had 4 people in the car plus some load. I am not sure how many more miles I will do with what is left, but because I need more that 50 tomorrow I am going to charge now. Maybe I should start with 100% and go for total driven record but I am not Tony - just beginner.
Very nicely done - I do believe that's the first 100 mi drive on a 80% charge! Can you tell us what kind of roads and driving speeds you did to get 7.0 mi/kWh?

I was happy to finish my day at 5.0 mi/kWh after 35 miles which included 4 mi of freeway at 60-65 mph and the rest surface streets 30-45 mph. I estimate you'd have to do a fairly steady 30-35 mph at the most to get 7.0 mi/kWh and roads around here just aren't amenable to that.

Back