Foxnews: First Leaf Owner Still Happy after 15k miles

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LTLFTcomposite said:
All these hybrid/EV buyer interviews where owners cite the privilege of jumping the HOV lanes as the number one advantage is disheartening. Hybrid and alternative fuel vehicles do nothing to reduce traffic as intended by the HOV lanes. This is pure social engineering; maybe they should hand out ice cream cones to Priuses and EV's at traffic lights too.

On the other hand, it is very effective social engineering. In high-traffic regions like Los Angeles with nightmare commutes, people DO buy the cars solely because of the HOV access. If you're trying to jump-start a new vehicle technology it's definitely an effective way. Just as HOV access for carpoolers entices them to drive in a less-polluting way. You could argue that the HOV lane is really not about reducing traffic, per se, but reducing pollution and conserving gasoline. In which case I'd say the LEAF earns its spot.

I think a better way to encourage EVs/Hybrids is to triple the gas tax (or more, over time), but I know how unpopular that would be.

Nubo said:
LTLFTcomposite said:
All these hybrid/EV buyer interviews where owners cite the privilege of jumping the HOV lanes as the number one advantage is disheartening. Hybrid and alternative fuel vehicles do nothing to reduce traffic as intended by the HOV lanes. This is pure social engineering; maybe they should hand out ice cream cones to Priuses and EV's at traffic lights too.

On the other hand, it is very effective social engineering. In high-traffic regions like Los Angeles with nightmare commutes, people DO buy the cars solely because of the HOV access. If you're trying to jump-start a new vehicle technology it's definitely an effective way. Just as HOV access for carpoolers entices them to drive in a less-polluting way. You could argue that the HOV lane is really not about reducing traffic, per se, but reducing pollution and conserving gasoline. In which case I'd say the LEAF earns its spot.

leafedbehind said:
I think a better way to encourage EVs/Hybrids is to triple the gas tax (or more, over time), but I know how unpopular that would be.

Another carrot-and-stick policy would be to let them park in handicap spots.

Social engineering seems to always have a bunch of unintended consequences, many of them not felt until years down the road. Several times I've thought that higher taxes on petrol would be good to encourage fuel efficiency. Then again, higher taxes on natural gas and electricity might be good to encourage energy efficiency. And maybe taxes on food based on the number of calories to help discourage obesity. And higher taxes on cigarettes and pot and meth and alcohol and bath salts and all kinds of things to discourage folk from using them. We have some serious landfill problems so perhaps higher taxes on non-recycled plastics. The list of what can be accomplished is limitless.

But then, what have we done to the cost of commerce? Will people be able to afford more expensive products? Will companies have to lay off workers (due to higher fuel and other costs and lower demand from people who can't afford more expensive products)? And on and on the consequences go.

Or we give tax breaks to things we like. Or we let good folks use the HOV (until we notice that the normal lanes are so empty they're faster).

Or better yet, educate people, without a bunch of hyperbole. EV's have a good story. They're far from perfect and they're not for everyone, but they likely will be for a lot of folk. However, there's been so much lying and FUD on both sides about this and that energy and environmental crisis that most people don't believe anyone. We need to change that.

SkiTundra said:
But then, what have we done to the cost of commerce? Will people be able to afford more expensive products? Will companies have to lay off workers (due to higher fuel and other costs and lower demand from people who can't afford more expensive products)? And on and on the consequences go.

Or we give tax breaks to things we like. Or we let good folks use the HOV (until we notice that the normal lanes are so empty they're faster).

Or better yet, educate people, without a bunch of hyperbole. EV's have a good story. They're far from perfect and they're not for everyone, but they likely will be for a lot of folk. However, there's been so much lying and FUD on both sides about this and that energy and environmental crisis that most people don't believe anyone. We need to change that.
Education is good, but will only make it so far. Even after you've gotten past the people who absolutely will not listen to you regardless of your arguments (ie roughly half the goddamn country) you still have people who would like to do the right thing but can't afford/wont pay for it - even if it's only a perception of it being less expensive.

Let's go with cigarettes as an example: You'll be hard-pressed to find anyone who doesn't accept smoking is bad for your health, but they do it anyway. Prices and taxes go up, but they'll complain instead of quitting. Gasoline is roughly similar in the sense that how we use it, and how much, is very habitual and changing our habits is too much of a bother until the costs get so high that people are forced to change. There are many many reasons why using less gasoline is a Good Thing(tm) - and I think most people on this forum get it - but that's obviously not enough for people to change their ways.

If change is a consequence, I'm all for it. For every job you'd potentially lose, another can be created doing something better. For every business serving an old need with old methods that goes under, a new business serving new needs with new methods can be created. Fellow-creators the creator seeketh; those who grave new values on new tables!

leafedbehind said:
Screen-shot-2011-06-21-at-11.10.39-AM1.png

They'll manage. ;) As long as the increase is gradual enough that things can adjust smoothly, that is.
=Smidge=

People wail and complain about the cost of petrol, but even if you tripled it through tax increases you'd likely not see huge changes in overall consumer behavior in the U.S. Yes, some people would buy more fuel efficient vehicles or EV's and some would change how much they drive, but overall I don't think you'd see massive behavior change. At least not the kind that we'd like to see to decrease our energy consumption and our negative environmental impacts. U.S. folk are simply too wealthy. High petrol prices have a much bigger effect in Europe and elsewhere because it is such a larger portion of people's income. It'd need to be something like $20/gallon or higher in the U.S. to have the same impact here.

The same goes for cigarettes. Some people like to smoke. You could triple the cost of cigarettes today and I doubt you'd see more than maybe a 20% decrease in smokers. Yes, people know that they're bad for them, but they also know that there's as much fear mongering as reality in all the stuff they hear so they ignore it all and decide that if they die with a cigarette in their mouth that they'll die happy. Even if it is 2 years sooner.

A purely economic sell will be difficult for EV's for some time to come. However, if the choice is between a Versa and Leaf and you tell me that economically the Leaf will cost me 3% more over the next 5 years, BUT it is quiet and quick, then I'll consider it. You then tell me that it will reduce our dependence on foreign oil that funds Islamic terrorists and I'm thinking that maybe 3% more cost isn't so bad. An EV also produces less full-chain pollution (when accounting for tailpipe, electrical generation plant, delivery, etc.) so that 3% is seeming less. The two big questions I'll still have is what will the resale value be compared to the Versa in 5 years and what is likely to happen to petrol & elec rates over that period.

More to come...

increase the price of cigarettes; consumption will go down

increase the price of gas; consumption will go down.

a few years back, WA State instituted a large jump in the cigarette tax.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2011742899_apwacigarettetax.html?prmid=related_stories_section" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

this buck a pack jump reduced "legal" consumption in the state and the State did it based on several reports including one that stated that every 10% increase in a pack of cigarettes, reduced consumption by 7%.

also, i find it difficult to believe that we have already forgotten 2008 when we had a rare drop in gasoline usage no doubt caused by gas hitting over $4 a gallon.

it is now 3½ years later and we are about to hit the same plateau but no signs in the reduction of gasoline yet but at the same time, hybrids and EVs are seeing a lot more interest.

the federal gas tax has not been increased in years and the condition of our national roads and bridges show it.

now, another thing to think about

http://www.rwjf.org/files/research/20100209tobaccotax.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

increasing the cigarette tax was a VERY popular option and why should it not? as a country we are among the leaders in non smokers. increasing the gas tax wont be as popular, but it is just as vital for nearly all the same reasons the cigarette tax increase

DaveinOlyWA said:
also, i find it difficult to believe that we have already forgotten 2008 when we had a rare drop in gasoline usage no doubt caused by gas hitting over $4 a gallon.
I vaguely recall something else that happened around that time that might contribute somewhat to people buying less gasoline...

I support modestly higher gas prices, as I DO agree it leads to conservation in the long run - but you're nuts you honestly believe petroleum follows the classic principles of supply and demand. There just isn't any viable alternative for many people, and they're going to be buying it almost regardless of cost.

At least for now - as EVs become more popular, people will finally have a real alternative to petroleum. It's not going to be a fast transition, but each time gas prices creep up the "return on investment" and "affordability" arguments become less and less easy to swallow.

DaveinOlyWA said:
increasing the cigarette tax was a VERY popular option and why should it not? as a country we are among the leaders in non smokers. increasing the gas tax wont be as popular, but it is just as vital for nearly all the same reasons the cigarette tax increase
I didn't want to get too deep into the cigarette analogy here... after all, tobacco is not a vital part of our industrial, commerce and transportation sectors while petroleum is. Jacking up the price of cigs only affects smokers, jacking up the price of gas affects even people who don't own a car. Creating effective policy here is like walking on rice paper :lol:

SkiTundra said:
A purely economic sell will be difficult for EV's for some time to come. However, if the choice is between a Versa and Leaf and you tell me that economically the Leaf will cost me 3% more over the next 5 years, BUT it is quiet and quick, then I'll consider it.
What if I told you that, if you intend to lease with no buyout, the LEAF could actually cost you less?
=Smidge=

Generally speaking I have observed mostly positive news coverage of the Leaf from Fox. The negatives are simple truths: Yes it is a "limited range vehicle" not because it only goes 80 miles on a charge but because you cannot refill it on every street corner. Yes people have range anxiety--I sure did! It went away but the first few months were tense given the car just barely covers my commute. The Volt, on the other hand, seems to have received mostly negative coverage in the wake of the "dangerous battery fires" and poor sales. Also electric cars int eh mainstream is still a very new thing and people generally distrust new things so there will be a tendency towards the negative. (At least until gas hits $6 a gallon :shock: )

Regardless of what bias anyone thinks Fox or any other outlet peddles I think news agencies in general have gone off the deep end. The purpose of news has become no different than that of sports or reality television these days. They want to be watched and get advertising dollars. Objective reporting died a long time ago. I think that might be an interesting discussion so I started a new thread on it if anyone is interested.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=8309" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

so why are you so against America doing what nearly every country in world (that is not drowning in oil) does?

why does Europe tax gasoline so heavily? GB has oil, but still taxes it to death.

we say this like we have the right to cheap gas? what gives us the right? or why should it be cheap gas at all possible costs?

not many dispute the fact that we pay less for gas than the true cost to this country. like any other evolving technology, we need to learn that the old ways were not the right way or the best way.

and i know this is a difficult concept to swallow. but what rights do we have just because our Daddy could bundle the family into a 12 mpg car, drive out to the country, have a picnic and drive home stopping for ice cream all for $2?

fact is; we as a country have made a lot of mistakes. big business took advantage of our gullibility to take our money and that continues today. now, we are a "bit" wiser to the fact but change is difficult and not many have the options to make that change easily. but change is something we have to do. we cannot continue driving at full speed towards the brick wall directly in front of us.

besides, your argument has been repeated a hundred times when seat belts were added, when air bags were added, when whatever was added. we survived that, we will survive more expensive gas and be better for it.

its as simple as this; wanna drive? then pony up the cash

DaveinOlyWA said:
what gives us the right? ... but what rights do we have ...
I think that would be our Constitution.

We absolutely need to reduce energy consumption and the negative environmental impacts of our energy consumption. However, I do not think that social engineering is the way to do it. The negative impacts of unintended consequences is just too great. I live in the U.S. and EU. There are numerous things in Europe that we should adopt in the U.S., but not all. If having 'stuff' is important to you, then the social engineering of Europe is not for you. The costs of goods and services is considerably higher there than here and they have less income as well. One major reason for this is the high cost of petrol and other energy.

On the other hand, countries with less draconian drug policies have fewer drug problems and countries with legal prostitution have less rape. We could perhaps learn from The Netherlands, Germany, Portugal, Switzerland, and others.

The thing that scares me is, like it or not, China is becoming more "vehicular" every day. I see two possible scenarios:

1) New cars being driven in China will be gas, causing a huge increase in demand for gas and therefore an increase in gas prices for everyone.
2) New cars being driven in China will be electric (or plug-in hybrid) and China, through necessity, will become a leader in EV technology, leaving American companies behind that have either buried their heads in the sand with respect to EV technology, or been run out of business by the extreme news industry (witness the power the media has apparently had over Volt sales)

Both of those scenarios scare me. I really wish that we as a society would just wake up and face facts and take action NOW to lead the way instead of waiting for other countries to do it. This country didn't become strong because we followed, but because we led. Unfortunately now we seem to be willing to sit it out, not make the necessary investments and in fact even eschew solutions to very real problems.

lpickup said:
The thing that scares me is, like it or not, China is becoming more "vehicular" every day. I see two possible scenarios:

1) New cars being driven in China will be gas, causing a huge increase in demand for gas and therefore an increase in gas prices for everyone.
2) New cars being driven in China will be electric (or plug-in hybrid) and China, through necessity, will become a leader in EV technology, leaving American companies behind that have either buried their heads in the sand with respect to EV technology, or been run out of business by the extreme news industry (witness the power the media has apparently had over Volt sales)

Both of those scenarios scare me. I really wish that we as a society would just wake up and face facts and take action NOW to lead the way instead of waiting for other countries to do it. This country didn't become strong because we followed, but because we led. Unfortunately now we seem to be willing to sit it out, not make the necessary investments and in fact even eschew solutions to very real problems.

thank you for your definition of my "brick wall"

someone stated that cigarettes and gasoline dont necessarily correlate because one is "needed". one does have benefits to us, but at the same time, we are simply moving WAAAY TOO SLOWLY towards a more efficient energy policy. giving auto manufacturers decades to improve corporate fleet mileage only allows their lawyers and lobbyists more time to fight the legislation.

fact of matter; burning gas is bad for us economically and environmentally. i guess the question is what is the balancing point between the benefits of easy fuel and the undermining cost to our society?

that point is when we find something better. we have found it. extended range hybrids, even ones as mild (ok, lame) as the Prius plug in, still show very significant gains in gas mileage, and ya, ya gotta put in some effort to make it work for ya. i admit that. but that is the same as people getting 200 mpg in their Volt. they get that because they put in the effort.

now, a lot of people disdain the tax credits that are being given out by the government but they dont realize that those credits still dont come close to the tax breaks oil companies get.

i am not saying that gas should be banned today or taxed out of oblivion tomorrow, i am just saying "make it a fair fight" we will move to the winning side all on our own.

For those who are interested in the possible/likely effects of increased gas prices on the U.S., you might want to read "$20 Per Gallon":

http://www.amazon.com/20-Gallon-Inevitable-Gasoline-Change/dp/0446549541" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Each chapter shows possible/likely effects on society of gas (and petroleum as a whole) prices at a certain level. The first chapter is at $6/gallon, each subsequent chapter bumps the price $2/gal. Some of the effects predicted, such as the bankruptcy/consolidation of the legacy airlines (Continental/United, Delta/Northwest, American) have already started.

GRA said:
For those who are interested in the possible/likely effects of increased gas prices on the U.S., you might want to read "$20 Per Gallon":

http://www.amazon.com/20-Gallon-Inevitable-Gasoline-Change/dp/0446549541" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Each chapter shows possible/likely effects on society of gas (and petroleum as a whole) prices at a certain level. The first chapter is at $6/gallon, each subsequent chapter bumps the price $2/gal. Some of the effects predicted, such as the bankruptcy/consolidation of the legacy airlines (Continental/United, Delta/Northwest, American) have already started.

the full title of the book says it all

$20 Per Gallon: How the Inevitable Rise in the Price of Gasoline Will Change Our Lives for the Better

But most electric vehicles still inspire a sort of "range anxiety." The Leaf, for instance, gets fewer than 100 miles on a charge. To play it safe, Chalouhi usually only drives about 40 miles to and from his job. Uncertainties about distance, and the availability of plug in stations away from home, have many car buyers worried about being stranded.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2012/03/16/after-15-months-driver-loves-life-with-his-electric-nissan-leaf/?intcmp=features#ixzz1pxGL7mbl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Moderators, please split this to a new thread, it really deserves a thread of it's own!!!... I'm still in shock!

Fabio said:
Now Fox has some love for the Volt:
http://green.autoblog.com/2012/03/26/fox-news-finds-some-love-for-the-chevy-volt/

In this video editorial (did GM threaten to quit advertising on the network, one has to wonder?) the Volt is praised by a conservative Texan making conservative arguments about it.
The most funny, for me, is that now the Volt is a marvel of technology and it's all thanks to GWB.

Back