How do I charge my Leaf with a generator

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkBC

Hello I just purchased a 2000 W Honda generator with the intention of using it to charge the car in an emergency, or more likely if I need to go 200 km somewhere overnight, or go camping. I'd just charge the car overnight with a full range by the morning.

But it won't charge when plugged into the generator. I think this has something to do with the grounding. Can anyone advise how to get around this?

Thanks.

It has been suggested to connect the ground to neutral, but it has also been suggested that a 100K ohm resistor should be between the two.

I have no experience doing either, and the usual cover my butt disclaimer; don't sue me because you blew up your generator.

Thanks yes I thought it had to do with that. And FWIW to anyone offering advice, I am very good with fiddling around with and modifying electrical things, so as long as I can get clear advice on what to do I will be able to do it safely.

Correction: 100K resistors, as in 100,000 ohms! 100 ohms would be bad and would burn up since it would try to dissipate 100 watts (I2R)!

TonyWilliams said:
It has been suggested to connect the ground to neutral, but it has also been suggested that a 100 ohm resistor should be between the two.

I found this previous thread and they do not mention the resistor.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=5792" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think the theory with the resistor is that since electricity always takes the path of least resistance, it would prevent the neutral from back feeding into the ground pin while still allowing an electrical connection to be made to the ground to satisfy the EVSE. But it isn't technically necessary.

EDIT: See this post/discussion: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=5792&p=182547#p182547" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lots of people use a plug end from the hardware store with a wire (zero ohms) connected neutral to ground. You plug this into one outlet and the Nissan EVSE into the other outlet. Sorry no smoke no fireworks no failures.

Back