Glove box Question

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FYI, I have a 2012 SL and I had the light put in and the glove box on order from my local dealer. Not sure, but since my 2012 had the wiring harness for the light, I would assume that others do too.

I inquired about it when I got the software update on my 2011 and they said it was there and working. It is so dim not worth the hassle. Put a motion light in the glove box with Velcro and problem solved. Use one like the one recommended for the charging door on the front of car.

Ian B

Phil, pictures are not visible.
Ingineer said:
Ok, I took my 2011 apart. What I thought to be an LED was actually a crappy little soldered in incandescent bulb:

pic

Notice how dim the thing is, and that's WITHOUT the white plastic diffuser installed! It has a blue silicone filter stuck on it to make it glow with an "LED Look" which just further reduces the light output and makes it even less efficient:

pic

I took it apart to measure the current:

pic

(It's not that bright, the camera just overexposed it... See 2 pics back.) Over 1 watt consumption and it's really all but useless anyway! Is my bench meter really that dirty? (I guess it's time to clean it! =)

I've come this far, so I might as well convert it to LED. After removing the crappy little bulb, I soldered in two 5mm bright white LEDs into the housing along with a 390 ohm 1/4 watt resistor:

pic

Here it is ready to test:

pic

pic

Voila:

pic

Now it only draws less than 20% of the original bulb's power, and is many times brighter even after the plastic diffuser is re-installed:

pic

By the way, here's the wiring harness on my 2011 that this connects to. It's a little white 2-pin connector coming out of the same bundle that feeds the VSP (Upper box with "A" on it). It's got a grey foam covering so it won't rattle on top the glovebox:

pic

Here it is all back together, lighting up everything:

pic

Night and day! I'd guess it also gives me a few more feet of mileage each month! :lol:

Still, just on principle, I'm annoyed that Nissan skimped on so many things. I know it's most likely to leverage the existing supply chain, etc. Maybe they ran out of them now, and they decided rather than do another whole production run of crappy incandescent bulbs, they'd just omit it on the 2012's.

I though I had converted (almost) all of the incandescent bulbs in my Leaf already! I wonder how many many I've still overlooked?!?

-Phil

(P.S. If you reply to this post, please avoid quoting all the pictures, as it will make a big mess in the thread!)

TomT said:
This is a fairly old thread and whatever the pictures were hosted on has probably expired...
EVerlasting said:
Phil, pictures are not visible.
I've noticed that the avatars for Phil and Mike Walsh (among others) are also missing. Perhaps they have not yet renewed their support, and in the case of Phil, the photo files have been disabled or deleted? Hope not!

Update: Just checked some of Phil's older posts, and the photos still show. His avatar of the old PG&E character is absent, however.

Despite pictures not being available, I just did the same thing in my car, and it worked great.

I got 5mm LED's from Lighthouse LEDS and hooked two up, pointing them down towards the opaque plastic, and the glovebox is nice and bright now. The LEDs had built in resistors so I didn't have to wire a resistor in series.

https://lighthouseleds.com/led-component-lighting/12v-led-with-built-in-resistor/12v-5mm-led-with-built-in-resistor-round-top.html

Note: Doing the modification is easy if you have a light bulb that's burned out. Simply tear off the blue silicone cover for the bulb, crush the bulb with a pliers, scrape out any remaining glass chunks, and use a very small drill bit to expand the holes where the wires go. Then you can feed the LED ends in and solder them direct to the solder pads on the socket.

That said, if you don't have the socket (24860-1VA0A), you're out of luck. The part is discontinued and nobody carries it anymore. You'd have to 3d print the socket or just wire the harness directly up to a LED cluster or something.

If anyone wants pictures, I can get them some.

P.S. Keep in mind that the light bulb ONLY gets power from the harness when the running lights or headlights are ON. It took me a while to figure this out--and I thought my harness was bad at first!

Back