Longest Road Trip Question/ Phil's Road Trip Solution

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Roadburner440 said:
Certaintly interesting. For a small turbine like that I guess you could call it a FADEC. More commonly it is just an ESU (Electronic Sequencing Unit). A small box with little bit balls on it that just controls the start sequence. Certaintly cool that it has no lubrication. You would be right in that I would not be familiar with that at all. I am used to pre-flighting, checking oil, etc... To not check the oil would be weird to me. We have had a couple turbine failures in my almost decade in aviation that I have seen. We had one where stuff ejected through the case, and another where the wheel and other bits shot out the exhaust. So just coming from an environment like that makes me leery of it. Never would of thought of having them in office buildings. Before your reply I just pictured you blasting down the road with ear plugs in, and the APU roaring along. :lol: On the plus side you would not need VSP at least.
It's got a LOT of electronics on it, it's way more sophisticated than anything I've ever seen in Aviation. Keep in mind it has to handle a lot more than just starting it up! It regulates and handles the power conversion, including grid interactivity (in it's original configuration). It's also got a log of diagnostic stuff in there so it can be monitored remotely.

As far as noise, startup sounds almost like a standard shop-vac. Once it's comes up to power it's pretty quiet. You can't hear it running from inside the Leaf at all unless you are parked with the climate control off. This is not in the same class as you are used to!

-Phil

Wish I lived closer to you as I would love to check that out. It sounds really neat. I am sure it has more electronics to do all your conversions of power to the Leaf. Stuff like that is certaintly fascinating. Me being a mechanical tech I try not to dabble in the electronics end to much. As loud, clunk, and old as ours are they only create the minimum amount of power/amperage required. Not even enough to amperage to run the DC inverters to run the major avionics components (enough to turn on lights, basic radios, instruments, etc).. So to see something that small on a trailer pushing enough power to recharge a Leaf battery is cool. Going to go do some research on this. Ironically I have the same trailer you got there sitting in the backyard as I built a tow behind for our Grand Prix before it got totalled.

As far as long road trips go, my girlfriend and I have been talking about driving the LEAF up to my home town of Vancouver, BC at some point. I think it can be done with a healthy dose of patience.

I think we'd take the coast road from Los Angeles using public, Nissan dealer, and maybe Plugshare L2s where possible or RV parks otherwise. Then we'd cross over to the 5 (or adjacent roads) in Oregon to take advantage of the ChaDeMo infrastructure in OR/WA.

I normally make that trip in no more than a day and a half but driving the LEAF would actually force me to take in the scenery.

Ingineer said:
It has several modes:
1. Range extension: This keeps the Leaf's SOC at about 90% (or any target SOC desired) while you drive on the highway. It basically directly provides the average power needed to the traction motor. If you floor it and pass and use greater than 30kW, it will use any additional power from the pack, and then when you return to cruising it will replace what was used to return the SOC to the set value.

That is pretty cool. I wonder if Nissan has given any thought to producing such a device themselves. They could create a small trailer hitch and some kind of electrical socket on the rear of the car. I bet they could design the trailer to be smaller and even more lightweight than yours. I must admit I cringed the first time I saw such devices being mentioned, because I think if people saw it going down the road with the little trailer it would just re-enforce the concept that an EV just can't work on its own without some kind of fuel. But now that I think about it, really it does make sense. It is sort of like a Chevy Volt, only you can chose whether or not you want to lug the I.C.E. along with you from one day to the next. I could definitely see these working as a rental system. If you know you are going to take a long trip in your EV, stop by and rent one of these. If every EV manufacturer created a universal plug on the rear of the car than such a device could be universal between all EVs. Here's another thought. If you just needed a bit more range than you have, they could make two different kinds of trailers. One kind is just another lithium battery and you can charge it up with a regular J1772 jack on it. The other kind would be a turbine engine like yours.

For my next prototype, I want to build a unit the fits in the back of the Leaf, about the size of a carry-on suitcase. The desired technology is a free piston engine, or maybe even one of these. It will have quick connections for everything, and pop right in/out easily, no need for a trailer.

Yes, my current thinking is you can stop by any Nissan dealer (or independent shop) and rent one of these anytime for a extended trip. Then you don't have to have the weight/cost/maintenance penalty of a plug-in hybrid. The place you rent from will handle all the ongoing maintenance, so all you need to worry about is fueling it on your trip.

-Phil

Ingineer said:
For my next prototype, I want to build a unit the fits in the back of the Leaf, about the size of a carry-on suitcase. The desired technology is a free piston engine, or maybe even one of these. It will have quick connections for everything, and pop right in/out easily, no need for a trailer.

But if you do that, you'll have to work out some way to vent the exhaust. That would kind of stink (no pun intended) giving a Leaf a tailpipe.

adric22 said:
But if you do that, you'll have to work out some way to vent the exhaust. That would kind of stink (no pun intended) giving a Leaf a tailpipe.
As I mentioned, there would be quick-connects installed in your car. Power, Data, Coolant, Exhaust, etc. The Exhaust is easy, just a rubber plug in the floor of the cargo area. If the engine is highly efficient, it may even be possible to use the existing coolant lines for the on-board charger to cool the engine, thus saving a run to the front. (it would likely take some mods and additional parts up front too.)

This is something that Nissan could provide for out of the factory as an option. You'd simply add on the "Extended Range Connection" option for $1200, then you'd be "trip ready".

I am investigating all possibilities that make sense. I know the idea of putting a tailpipe on the Leaf "stinks", but if it saves you from having to keep an extra Gasser in your garage for trips, it makes sense!

-Phil

So where could one get a trailer wiring plug and play harness for the trailer lights? Got my hitch installed ($133 on amazon) but need to have trailer lights! :D

Back