Lighting for charge cover

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SeattleBlueLeaf said:
I use rechargeable's too. The light comes with 3 batteries though so you won't need them for awhile.

One nice thing about NiMH rechargeables is they don't have the tendency to leak like alkalines. At least I have never had one leak but I've had many ruined devices over the years from leaky alkalines. Something to consider due to the proximity of the charging plugs. Not a place where you'd want caustic fluid leaking from overhead.

I think I stay with using the LEAFs LED headlights to provide the light while I connect my EVSE. They throw off a lot of light and will automatically go off in 45 seconds (if set on auto). If that's not enough time you can increase it up to 3 minutes. See page 2-40 in the manual for details.

I just picked up this light for my upcoming Leaf, however it was VERY hard to find as only one Lowes in Seattle had it in stock! Better pick it up now if you can as they don't know how long they will stock it...

pcenginefx said:
I just picked up this light for my upcoming Leaf, however it was VERY hard to find as only one Lowes in Seattle had it in stock! Better pick it up now if you can as they don't know how long they will stock it...

For you other Northwest folks - I'll have this on my car this Saturday at the meet up in Renton for anyone wanting to see in person.

So - since this is a motion-sensor controlled light - how do you know it doesn't turn on when the charging hatch is closed and the car is in motion?

:D

OldCoot said:
So - since this is a motion-sensor controlled light - how do you know it doesn't turn on when the charging hatch is closed and the car is in motion?

:D

Well - after three months of using it, the light is as bright as ever. I'd be surprised if the light could come on as the hatch to car seal is very strong and doesn't jitter around. The magnet holding the light to the car is also quite strong. I've been pleased with the solution.

I found a different one at lowes if you are looking for a cheaper option. LED . motion activated thin but light is not moveable still projects well

Home brand item # 0147835 $6.95 only 40 sec auto motion, 3 AAA batteries as well.

mksE55 said:
I found a different one at lowes if you are looking for a cheaper option. LED . motion activated thin but light is not moveable still projects well

Home brand item # 0147835 $6.95 only 40 sec auto motion, 3 AAA batteries as well.
Link?

I could never find the motion sensing LED light at Lowe's or HD, but I found this one at Fry's: http://www.frys.com/product/6677134?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for $7.99. Though it does not include the 3 AA batteries, it fits under the latch easily and attaches with an adhesive Velcro, is plenty bright, and the motion sensing seems to work well.
Cheers
Edit: OK, the adhesive Velcro lost its adhesiveness and fell off. So I had to attach a magnet to the back with some Gorilla glue. So, if you can find the motion sensing LED light with the magnet attachment already installed, get that.

here is the link to some from Lowes. http://www.lowes.com/pd_320270-3-72245_4294857028_4294937087_?productId=3140611&Ns=p_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl_Night%2BLights_4294857028_4294937087_%3FNs%3Dp_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&facetInfo=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and mine http://www.lowes.com/pd_147835-53058-98900001_4294857028_4294937087_?productId=3181783&Ns=p_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl_Night%2BLights_4294857028_4294937087_%3FNs%3Dp_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&facetInfo=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

been happy so for and bright.

I called Lowes and they told me that they no longer carry the light. I checked several other local stores and found a similar light at Home Depot for $12. But the light is larger than the Sylvania models and the magnet is too small to hold it when the lid is closed so I returned it and ordered the Sylvania light from Amazon.

It works great. You can stick the magnet to the lid and the light bar can be tilted downward right onto the plug area. You can set the timer for 10 or 60 seconds and has an on switch. The switch is inside the battery compartment.

I have been using this Sylvania #320270 "motion sensor night light" on the LEAF charging port hatch lid for about 9 months, works great.

Now, I am also using one inside the house in a too-dark-at-night hallway.

Stay away from these two items at Lowes. This one is too large. It's hard to tell from the internet photo but it's way too deep - it's a big sphere:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_213456-3-72178_0__?catalogId=10051&productId=3024497&UserSearch=213456" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, there's one product 271332 which doesn't appear online but is another Sylvania LED "Middle of the Night Light" E13694. It fits and looks good, and even says it will work during the daytime, but it doesn't. It only turns on when it's pitch black which didn't work for me in my garage where it's too dark to see in the port, but too bright for the light to come on.

Lowes does not have them at stores (at least in the SF Bay Areas as of April), but does have them online. Just received one today and it is just the ticket!

Jay

Back