Glove box Question

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took mine in two weeks ago for them to check it out. They agreed no glove box light, so they would order one.
I took in back in today for the install and after 45 mintues, they said there is no wiring harness to connect it to (evidently they didn't check this the first time). This seems contradictory to what others have said. I may take it apart this weekend and I have look myself. Anyone else not have the harness?

Just got through chatting with Leaf customer service (yeah I know the problems there), but here is their quote to my inquiry.
"During production of the 2012 Nissan LEAF, the glove box light was removed. if you would like to have the light installed that would be an out of pocket repair that you have to pay for."

Then they got a little snippy when I point out it was still a feature listed on the Leaf website and they told me to read the disclaimer at the bottom. Finally, they also stated the wiring harness was not present on any 2012s.

Just got through chatting with Leaf customer service (yeah I know the problems there), but here is their quote to my inquiry.
"During production of the 2012 Nissan LEAF, the glove box light was removed. if you would like to have the light installed that would be an out of pocket repair that you have to pay for."

Interesting. I guess I better get my car back to the dealer to have them put my light in....

Thats bollocks mate! 42 grand for a motor and you tell me that you do not install a glove box light!!!
I would be wel pissed PM me and I will send you the work order for my install at no charge

My dealer said they cant do anything. They ordered a lightbulb but are told by corporate there is no harness. Supposedly the "illuminated glove box" description is being removed from the web site.

Nissan corporate- at least come up with a blank and an apology!

essaunders said:
My dealer said they cant do anything. They ordered a lightbulb but are told by corporate there is no harness. Supposedly the "illuminated glove box" description is being removed from the web site.

Nissan corporate- at least come up with a blank and an apology!
Care to pull the 10 screws out and check? Takes only a few minutes.

It would be nice to catch the dealer and/or corporate lying! So far all people with 2012's have reported that the light LED connector is there, just taped to the harness.

-Phil

There is the harness on mine. It comes from the harness that supplies the VSP. The connector is wrapped in foam so it does not rattle.

By all reports the light is so dim as to be useless so I am not worrying about it.

Ingineer said:
Care to pull the 10 screws out and check? Takes only a few minutes.

It would be nice to catch the dealer and/or corporate lying! So far all people with 2012's have reported that the light LED connector is there, just taped to the harness.

-Phil

I am going to pull my glovebox tomorrow and from observing the tech at the dealership working on my car, there is a panel on the side of the dashboard that can be used to access the area when the passenger door is open. I will post what I find.

I pulled the glovebox this morning and I could not find an extra wiring harness.

nzrknb.jpg

I even pulled the "A" lableled module on the right and still could not find it.

5caz2g.jpg

It is still out if anyone has any suggestion of exactly where to look.

Tony and I (with 2011 models) looked last night, and neither one of us have a light in the glove box, nor an obvious shut-off switch that would activate when the box is closed.

Randy said:
Tony and I (with 2011 models) looked last night, and neither one of us have a light in the glove box, nor an obvious shut-off switch that would activate when the box is closed.
I understand the glovebox light is always on when the headlights are on, regardless if the glovebox door is open or not.

I definitely have one in my early 2011 and I checked and it does go on and off with the headlights - there is no separate switch for it.

Randy said:

Ah, okay, let me recheck it....

Okay, turned on the headlights and, yes, there is a soft white light at the top of the glovebox shining down...And Tony's has the same light there because I felt it but didn't know what it was....Got it!

Ok, I took my 2011 apart. What I thought to be an LED was actually a crappy little soldered in incandescent bulb:

pic

Notice how dim the thing is, and that's WITHOUT the white plastic diffuser installed! It has a blue silicone filter stuck on it to make it glow with an "LED Look" which just further reduces the light output and makes it even less efficient:

pic

I took it apart to measure the current:

pic

(It's not that bright, the camera just overexposed it... See 2 pics back.) Over 1 watt consumption and it's really all but useless anyway! Is my bench meter really that dirty? (I guess it's time to clean it! =)

I've come this far, so I might as well convert it to LED. After removing the crappy little bulb, I soldered in two 5mm bright white LEDs into the housing along with a 390 ohm 1/4 watt resistor:

pic

Here it is ready to test:

pic

pic

Voila:

pic

Now it only draws less than 20% of the original bulb's power, and is many times brighter even after the plastic diffuser is re-installed:

pic

By the way, here's the wiring harness on my 2011 that this connects to. It's a little white 2-pin connector coming out of the same bundle that feeds the VSP (Upper box with "A" on it). It's got a grey foam covering so it won't rattle on top the glovebox:

pic

Here it is all back together, lighting up everything:

pic

Night and day! I'd guess it also gives me a few more feet of mileage each month! :lol:

Still, just on principle, I'm annoyed that Nissan skimped on so many things. I know it's most likely to leverage the existing supply chain, etc. Maybe they ran out of them now, and they decided rather than do another whole production run of crappy incandescent bulbs, they'd just omit it on the 2012's.

I though I had converted (almost) all of the incandescent bulbs in my Leaf already! I wonder how many many I've still overlooked?!?

-Phil

(P.S. If you reply to this post, please avoid quoting all the pictures, as it will make a big mess in the thread!)

Thanks Phil. If the glove box harness is in the vsp harness I can see Nissan justifying leaving it out.

With your leave, a slightly off topic question. Does any know if the vsp disable and the glove bl
box light have active locations that we could add connectors, wires and LED/switch to enable (kinda like adding an EV button to a us spec iconic Prius)

Erik

essaunders said:
Thanks Phil. If the glove box harness is in the vsp harness I can see Nissan justifying leaving it out.

With your leave, a slightly off topic question. Does any know if the vsp disable and the glove bl
box light have active locations that we could add connectors, wires and LED/switch to enable (kinda like adding an EV button to a us spec iconic Prius)

Erik
Yes, there is no wire/connector for the button, but it can easily be added. The VSP module is the same, so the pin is there still. It would be an easy task to mount a momentary switch in the top of the glovebox that could easily toggle it.

Even better is to just add my small default-to-off circuit to your VSP module, then you would default to no VSP, but still retain all your exterior alerts, such as the charge mode beeping. (cutting the speaker would lose these.) A "feature" of my circuit is that it can be toggled without needing the button. Just be driving at over 20mph, and momentarily tap the power button. (Yes, the Leaf's main power button!) The Leaf will not shut off as long as you are moving at over 20mph unless it is held or pressed 3 times in a row. However, even though your Leaf will not recognize the momentary press, My circuit will "See" this and toggle the VSP mode for you.

-Phil

Back