Spare Tire Carrier

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyWilliams

I'm ready to release the first production run of spare tire carriers to LEAF drivers in SoCal only, as beta testers with free install.

What I want is feedback on what something like this is worth to you. Please spare us all how you don't need a spare tire; obviously, you wouldn't be a potential customer.

Here's some pics how it fits. You can't see the tire at all without looking underneath. The unit will be sold without a tire, or rim, jack, or lug wrench. That's stuff you can get new from Nissan, or you can recycle from the auto wrecking yard.

57101d2f.jpg

e6e69c6f.jpg

f23cef2e.jpg

853e17b3.jpg

I am interested in something like that and i would consider getting one if the price below $50 for the kit and assuming the installation is straightforward.

IBELEAF said:
I am interested in something like that and i would consider getting one if the price below $50 for the kit and assuming the installation is straightforward.
TonyWilliams said:
Ok, thanks for the data point. Not sure what you'd find out in the world for $50, however.
Hopefully IBELEAF was thinking $50 for the mounting kit excluding the tire and jack. Not sure what I would be willing to pay for the entire kit (mounting, jack, tools, & tire) but given it could save me the TPS, and/or towing, and allows me to drive the car while the tire is getting fixed, and that our family seems to average around flat a year, I don't think $300-400 is too outrageous. It's basically an insurance investment. Each person will have a different opinion, but I'd pay $250 in a heartbeat.

Not going to make it down to SoCal anytime soon to be a Beta tester though...

TonyWilliams said:
Ok, thanks for the data point. Not sure what you'd find out in the world for $50, however.
Let me clarify, my preference was for just mounting hardware, obviously adding spare tire and jack would be a separate cost. Considering that there are prices for simple license plate mounts that go up to $100, I would be surprised the cost of this to be in the north of $200.

which tire/wheel are you showing in those pictures? Looks like a nice option.

I suspect this would conflict with a trailer hitch, right?

As a data point, the "spare tire kit" on my RX-8 was about a $400 option. This included the mounting hardware and the rim/tire itself. I wish I'd have known that wheel would fit the LEAF. I would have kept it since the dealer who took it as trade would have neither known nor cared.

Some questions, please:

As part of your modification, do you modify the bottom "air-flow under-pan", cutting out a circular piece that attaches to the wheel support bracket?

Or, is handling the under-side air-flow left up to the user?

Will the OEM size wheel (rim and inflated tire) fit?

Do you need to move part of the Parking Brake actuator assembly?

How long do you need the car to "install" the "Spare Tire Lift"?

How many holes do you need to drill in the cargo-space floor in order to mount the lift?

Does it crank up and down via a new hole roughly in the center of the cargo space floor?

Would access to the crank-hole be covered by the center partition of Nissan's Cargo Carrier?

Is there a motorized version of the lift, so that access to a crank is not necessary?

Without wheel ramps, can the spare be lowered, detached, and the spare dragged out from under the car?

Great work!
Thanks, Gary

Nubo said:
As a data point, the "spare tire kit" on my RX-8 was about a $400 option. This included the mounting hardware and the rim/tire itself. I wish I'd have known that wheel would fit the LEAF. I would have kept it since the dealer who took it as trade would have neither known nor cared.

Yep, that Mazda spare would be perfect. The 94-95 model years used an aluminum wheel for the spare. The last one I found on eBay was $200.

I guess I wasn't too clear in my initial post as to "value" that a spare tire carrier might be to somebody. Here are the prices for the equipment purchased new from Nissan. Obviously, you could buy this stuff for way less than $100 from an auto wrecking yard or Craiglist, et al., in addition to the cost and installation of the spare tire carrier.

TOTAL: $364.65

$140.40
Tire - T125/90D16 98M

LEAF spare wheel (rim)
Part number 403001ya7a
66.1mm center hub diameter
Bolt pattern 5 x 114.3 or 5 x 4.5 inches
Can be ordered from a Nissan dealership outside the USA or Canada

-or-

$184
Nissan Altima 2002-2006 spare wheel (rim) part number from any USA Nissan dealership
Part number 40300-L31010, 66.1mm center hub diameter

LEAF jack part number is 99550-3ND0B and sells for UK £233.00 ($357 plus VAT and shipping and import duties)

-or-

$33.08
2002-2006 Nissan Altima Jack: 99550-L31001

The tool kit 99501-4J800 sells for UK £113.00 ($173 plus shipping and government fees/taxes). You already have a lug wrench in a USA spec'd LEAF, so you shouldn't need this.

-or-

$7.15
Nissan Altima 2002-2006 Lug wrench: 99545

Hey Tony; I would definitely be interested in the mounting kit. I have the spare tire/wheel/jack/tools (from an Altima). Also, I am a "gearhead", and could mount it myself. All I need is the kit.

essaunders said:
which tire/wheel are you showing in those pictures? Looks like a nice option.

I suspect this would conflict with a trailer hitch, right?

The wheel is the Nissan Altima 2002-2006 spare.

To my knowledge, there are three separate trailer hitches, all using the mounts and space that the spare tire uses. So, no, they wouldnt fit together. Also, the future inductive charger also fits in the spot, so it wouldn't fit those cars.

I intend to display this at the San Diego meet-up this Sat, Feb 25, with a 2 inch receiver which can be used to mount a bike rack.

derkraut said:
Hey Tony; I would definitely be interested in the mounting kit. I have the spare tire/wheel/jack/tools (from an Altima). Also, I am a "gearhead", and could mount it myself. All I need is the kit.

Ok, we'll chat about it at the meet on Sat if you're there. Part of the beta testing is getting a sense for what the average consumer can actually perform in an installation. Obviously, anybody could have the dealer or a shop install it for $$$$$.

Possible Installation Steps (?):
(simplified, and probably I missed the difficult stuff)

1. remove the rear section of the under-body "air-flow" pan.
2. move any existing parts that interfere with this lift-jack install.
3. install any needed under-body parts, perhaps gluing rubber "pads" in place using templates (that the tire or rim will rest against when cranked up into position).

(I would need the LEAF's rear end elevated to do the above 3 steps, and two of the later steps.)

4. remove the cargo, mat (if any), and ?? flooring from the cargo area.
5. mark (with a template) 4 or 5 holes in the bottom of the cargo area.
6. drill the holes
7. install suitable grommets in the holes (to better "seal" them)
8. Insert the mounting bolts, with washers, down through the cargo area floor.
9. modify the air-flow "pan" as needed - probably use a template to make a large circular cutout (to drop the tire through) and perhaps 1 or more small holes in the cutout for "hanging" it from the spare (or from the lift bracket).
10. add (probably glue) a narrow doughnut-shaped "rim" (or multiple tabs) on the upper-side of the "pan" to keep the large circular cutout from pulling up through the big hole.

11. go underneath (again), hold the lift mechanism in place, adding washers, lock washers, and nuts, at least finger tight.
12. replace the (probably-modified) air-flow pan.

13. on top again, tighten the lift mechanism mounting bolts.
14. fasten the lift-bracket to the under-side of the rim, or position it as needed.
15. fasten the circular cutout to the under-side of the wheel (or rim or lift bracket), as needed, perhaps with elastic straps.
16. slide the "spare" (now on the circular cutout) underneath the car and attach the lift cable to the lift bracket.
17. crank the lift mechanism up until the spare is held firmly in place. The circular cover should "seat" against the new "rim" and restore smooth air-flow under the car.

garygid said:
As part of your modification, do you modify the bottom "air-flow under-pan", cutting out a circular piece that attaches to the wheel support bracket?

So far, it appears the smartest option is probably to leave the plastic pan off. However, yes, I cut mine. It's not pictured, but it literally removes a vast majority of the plastic pan. Then you have to support the cut plastic.

Or, is handling the under-side air-flow left up to the user?

I don't intend to do anything with a customer's plastic. It's too easy to crack while cutting. I used both a sheet metal snipper, and a jig saw. The latter had a smaller chance of cracking. You might be able to "hot knife" it.

Will the OEM size wheel (rim and inflated tire) fit?

Yes, it should. I have not actually done it yet, so I don't have a center section to hold the factory wheel.

Do you need to move part of the Parking Brake actuator assembly?

No modifications whatsoever. If you look closely, you'll see the tire is mounted right of centerline.

How long do you need the car to "install" the "Spare Tire Lift"?

I'd come to you in SoCal. About two hours.

How many holes do you need to drill in the cargo-space floor in order to mount the lift?

Four

Does it crank up and down via a new hole roughly in the center of the cargo space floor

No. The crank is on the right rear, where the tie down hook is.

Would access to the crank-hole be covered by the center partition of Nissan's Cargo Carrier?

No. Whatever is in your trunk stays in your trunk. I'd recommend putting the jack and lug wrench in the spare wheel, plus any flares. Also, a great place for your extension cord(s). There's no reason to go in the trunk even to carry the flat tire. The only tool you should need is a crank handle to lower the wheel. I'd put that under your driver's seat.

Is there a motorized version of the lift, so that access to a crank is not necessary?

I had not even thought of this, but an electric car should have electric spare wheel lift! I'd have to look for a suitable motor, some machine work to put it on the winch, and wiring / switch / relay. It would NOT be cheap. I'm not against a one-off, but that would be awhile.

Without wheel ramps, can the spare be lowered, detached, and the spare dragged out from under the car?

Yes. You could drop the tire, detach it, and move the car forward a few feet, and there wouldn't be any dragging.

garygid said:
Thanks Tony.

Nice place for the crank!

If a REAR tire goes FLAT, might one need to jack up the
"flat" side before one could get the spare out?

Well, that might be a good test. I doubt there would be a problem even if both were flat, however.

Back