Cabin Microfilter Maintenance

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TomT said:
Interesting... Where do you drive? Mine is still lilly-white after 12,000 but I'm mostly freeways.

sparky said:
Only 11,000 mi, but mine was not so pristine...
It's where I park that's the main contributor; trees at work and parking under trees at home. I clean debris from the intake vents every week during the spring and fall. Looks to me like the filter is doing it's job.

sparky said:
TomT said:
Interesting... Where do you drive? Mine is still lilly-white after 12,000 but I'm mostly freeways.

sparky said:
Only 11,000 mi, but mine was not so pristine...
It's where I park that's the main contributor; trees at work and parking under trees at home. I clean debris from the intake vents every week during the spring and fall. Looks to me like the filter is doing it's job.

your car does not breathe that much while parked

DaveinOlyWA said:
sparky said:

your car does not breathe that much while parked
True, but gravity still functions.
Debris lands on windshield and slides down towards outboard vents. During spring and fall, when I pop the hood, I can remove a handful of leaves/pollen/acorns from each side, right over the vent holes. Smaller stuff (in photo) captured by the filter.

Has anyone tried to wash one of the old ones?
Mine has random leaves and misc objects in it as well. Now the replacement filter has a one micron rating so definitely small enough to catch pollen which is the big issue in our area

garygid said:
CF230 $6
WIX 24012 $15

Both are just Particulate filters, right?

i thought the more expensive one did something else? i got the cheaper one because it filtered down to 1 micron. pretty good i thought.

DaveinOlyWA said:
garygid said:
CF230 $6
WIX 24012 $15
Both are just Particulate filters, right?
i thought the more expensive one did something else? i got the cheaper one because it filtered down to 1 micron. pretty good i thought.
Not nearly as good as Nissan claims theirs is, according to the service manual:
The in-cabin microfilter used can remove dust, pollen, and dirt that is approximately 0.3 micrometers in size or larger.
The diagram shows their microfilter also removing all bacteria (0.3 to 20 microns), though not good enough to remove viruses (< 0.1 micron) or much tobacco smoke (0.01 to 1.0 micron).

Ray

Could someone please post really good "expert" instructions and pics how to change that filter? I'm sure Nissan charges exorbitant money for a 5 min 10 buck item job.
Much appreciated.

ILETRIC said:
Could someone please post really good "expert" instructions and pics how to change that filter? I'm sure Nissan charges exorbitant money for a 5 min 10 buck item job.
Much appreciated.
I would appreciate that too. The key is getting the filter cover removed. I don't believe the other posted instructions have that right. Nissan has a variety of cabin filter designs. Appears the LEAF, Cube, and Juke are very similar or perhaps the same. The Cube uses the same filter as the LEAF, for example. I found a video on YouTube regarding removing and replacing the cabin filter on the Cube. You can skip the first two minutes about how to remove the glove box. At 2:00 he says, "unhook the bottom of the cover and remove it". Nothing about messing with the top of the cover. The video also shows the trick of how to remove the old filter and how to insert the new one. By the way, notice he says to install the new filter with the tab down. However earlier in the video the old filter he remove had the tab up. That means either the old filter or the new one is backward.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CR12GBsG9XA[/youtube]

Okay, just got my filter in the mail today...anyone have the step by step instructions yet?

Thanks!

Here's my suggested procedure for changing the cabin filter in the LEAF. Even though there's an access panel inside the glove box as well as another access panel underneath, which both pop out without tools, I feel the easiest procedure is to remove the glove box. Here's why. First the cabin filter cover is very tight and difficult to remove and second the cabin filter removal can cause debris on the filter to fly around. The cabin filter must be squeezed (like an accordion) and folded in a bit to remove it. As you pull the filter out, the filter springs back and debris shoots off of it. If you are accessing the filter from underneath looking up behind the glove box, that debris could get in your eyes and all over your face.

With that, here's what I did.

- Remove the panel underneath the glove box. Pull down, no tools needed
- Open the glove box door
- Remove 4 phillips head screws at the top of the glove box
- Close the glove box door
- Remove 4 phillips head screws at the bottom of the glove box
- Open the glove box door
- Remove 2 phillips head screws on the inside of the glove box
- Close the glove box door
- Reaching underneath, pull glove box toward you. Take your time, don't try and over power it. It's plastic and could crack. There are connectors on the right front side of the glove box which your pulling will cause to release. They are a toolless design, similar to the panel underneath you removed.
- Once the glove box drops a bit, remove the light assembly at the top. Don't try to unplug the light from the connector, just simply pop the whole light assembly out from the glove box. (it's very easy)
- Set the glove box aside
- Looking inside the vehicle, locate the white cabin filter cover on the left side where the glove box was
- There's a tab at the bottom of the cover which must be depressed to pop the cover off. If you can press the tab down with your fingers to remove it, great! However mine wouldn't budge. If yours won't budge, here's what you do.
- Slip a flat thin screwdriver into the side of the tab toward the back of the tab. Gently rock the screwdriver slightly counterclockwise four or five times. This will warm up the plastic a bit.

leafcabinfiltercover.jpg

leafcabinfiltercovercli.jpg

- Increase the counterclockwise turn very slowly until the plastic tab clears the holder. The cover will fly off, so make sure your head isn't in the way. I suggest this procedure because I just popped my cover off with one twist of the screwdriver and now it has a stress fracture in the plastic. Basically it's the wrong plastic for this application and if you aren't careful, you'll snap that cover tab off.
- Reach in and pinch the old filter at the top and bottom edges to get it to clear the opening
- Grab the tab on the filter at the top and pull out and down
- As the filter comes out you'll need to keep squeezing the filter and pulling outward to get it to come out
- Release your squeeze slowly to reduce the about amount of debris coming off the filter
- To better understand this procedure, check out this YouTube video from 2:00 to 2:40. This video is for a Cube, but it works the same on the LEAF.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CR12GBsG9XA[/youtube]

- Once the filter is removed you may want to vacuum the filter cavity using your vacuum's crevice attachment
- To install the new filter you pinch the front edge and insert it
- Pinching and rocking it will enable you to easily work it into place. The video also show this procedure
- I modified my filter cover using a strand of plastic coated wire. This will allow me to pull down on the tab instead of using a screwdriver and risk damaging that tab any further

leafcabinfiltercovermod.jpg

Here's the plastic coated wire I used. A thin twist tie would work as well.
greenwire.jpg

- Snap the cover in place

leafcabinfiltercoverins.jpg

- Attached the light in the top of the glove box
- Line up the glove box to snap in the connectors on the right. The edge of the glove may tend to want to go to the outside of the dash opening. You'll need to work it back in place.
- Once aligned you can press it into the connectors
- Insert the 2 phillips head screws on the inside of the glove box. Don't tighten all the way. You may need to a bit of aligning.
- Close the glove box
- Insert 4 phillips head screws at the bottom of the glove box. Don't tighten all the way
- Open the glove box
- Insert 4 phillips head screws at the top of the glove box.
- Tighten all screws.
- Also make sure you are not cross threading any of the screws as you tighten. If it feels way to tight as you turn, it's cross threaded. Just back it out and start over. One of mine did that.
- Replace the panel underneath the glove box and you're done!

Here's what the WIX 24012 cabin filter looks like...

They are priced at $15.26 from Discount Fleet Supply...According to the box, this filter has "Bioshield 75" biostatic surface protectant...I bought three of them at

http://www.discountfleetsupply.com/wix24012.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and the shipping was just under $10....

Attachments

• filter.jpg
    filter.jpg
    394.1 KB · Views: 263
Wow, what a pain. In my RAV4 I open the glove box, squeeze the sides so it drops down all the way, and the cabin filter is right there and just pulls out. It's probably less than a 30 second operation, no tools needed.

I am looking to replace the cabin filter. Looks like the choices I have include (listed in order of decreasing price)

http://www.discountfleetsupply.com/wix24012.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1447777,parttype,6832" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.filterheads.com/product/single/AQ1154" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Have anyone used the one from filterheads?

One trouble is, some filters do not have specs.

The "Release Tab" on the white plastic filter-compartment cover
is on the bottom end of the cover, correct?

It appears to me that one would pull out, and UP slightly to remove
the cover, NOT press DOWN. Am I correct?

Can one reach the filter cover through the glove box's left-side
"access hatch", or is it NECESSARY to remove the glove box?

garygid said:
The "Release Tab" on the white plastic filter-compartment cover
is on the bottom end of the cover, correct?
IIRC, it's on the top end of the cover.

garygid said:
Can one reach the filter cover through the glove box's left-side
"access hatch", or is it NECESSARY to remove the glove box?
Gary, I managed to R&R the filter twice through the access port on the left side of GB
and with some access behind the GB. I never removed the GB but, there's so much contortion,
both with the filter, to make it around a tight corner and with hands/tools/lower vertebrae, that I
would probably try removing the glove box next time.

Any thoughts on the following cabin air filters?

http://www.amazon.com/Fellowes-CF-230-AP-230PH-Purifier-9372001/dp/B0067D7D9A" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://tyc.mycarparts.net/products/TYC-800138P?product_application_id=438638451" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thank You everyone for posting to this excellent thread ...Im going to order 5 filters from Rockauto..

I would like to see them come out with a reusable filter that I can clean each year..

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1447777,parttype,6832" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

When my filters come, Ill see if i can clean the stock one first before i toss it away..

Back