Car won't turn off

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My car won't turn off; it happened this morning.
The car was charged 80% during the night, but I had to charge it to 100% this morning, because I have a longer commute today. 15 minutes before leaving, I remotely turned on the climate control. Opened the trunk while the car is still connected to the charger. I press stop on my EVSE, and pulled the plug.
I put a box in the trunk and at that moment I saw that the control panel is on, which is weird, because I usually see only the climate control lights flashing.
I turned the car off, and it won't turn off. The message that I have gotten is : "while parking apply the parking brake", and "stop the vehicle. I was so confused and the car seemed confused too. I put my foot on the brake and pushed the power button. The car turned on and everything looks normal. I pulled out of the garage, went in it again, put the car on p, and turned it off, but it won't turn off. I got the same messages.
I drove to the dealership and dropped off the car there. They have not seen this before and they do not know how long it is going to take to figure it out.

All these different scenarios of plugged in, then not plugged in, foot on/off brake, press 0/1 button one, two, three times, a/c turned on from your phone, then bypass the charge timer, then walk away with the fob in your pocket, etc etc etc... it's enough to make your head spin! :?

I haven't had any problems yet but fear my days are numbered

OP did not report remedy, wonder if this is real problem or human caused problem? leafwing please report back when all is solved, please.

LTLFTcomposite said:
All these different scenarios of plugged in, then not plugged in, foot on/off brake, press 0/1 button one, two, three times, a/c turned on from your phone, then bypass the charge timer, then walk away with the fob in your pocket, etc etc etc... it's enough to make your head spin! :?

I hope that you will not have a problem ever.

For anyone who hits this in the future, it'd be interesting to know if pressing the power button rapid fire 3x or pressing and holding power works.

EdmondLeaf said:
OP did not report remedy, wonder if this is real problem or human caused problem? leafwing please report back when all is solved, please.
I have not heard from the dealership yet and I do not really know why the car was powered on in the first place.

cwerdna said:
For anyone who hits this in the future, it'd be interesting to know if pressing the power button rapid fire 3x or pressing and holding power works.
This should kill car while driving, when I done this in Prius, I had hard time to restart the car, but eventually started again.

EdmondLeaf said:
cwerdna said:
This should kill car while driving, when I done this in Prius, I had hard time to restart the car, but eventually started again.
Pressing and holding power on a Prius is the emergency shutdown. (On my Prius, I've personally tried all three things shown at http://lusciousgarage.com/blog/comments/floor_mat_anxiety_lg_tv_investigates/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.) On a Prius, I believe pressing it rapid fire 3x won't do anything. That's supposedly Nissan's emergency shutdown.

leafwing said:
Did you have anything plugged into the "accessory power port?" My guess is that you either had a battery plugged in, or the relay that controls power to the console and accessory port is faulty.

cwerdna said:
On a Prius, I believe pressing it rapid fire 3x won't do anything. That's supposedly Nissan's emergency shutdown.
you are absolutely right about 3x, but I will rather stick with pushing as hard as possible till car shutdown

EdmondLeaf said:
leafwing said:
They have not seen this before and they do not know how long it is going to take to figure it out.
Understand that dealer can't turn off car too?
No. The technician hasn't seen this before, so he had to run a diagnostic test. I was on the phone with the supervisor and he told me that there is something wrong with the "meter board"; they have to replace it. They ordered the part and they are expecting to receive it in two days. The car will be ready on Friday. I hope.
Now what is the "meter board"? That is the question that I have to ask when I go to pick up the car.

DarkStar said:
leafwing said:
Did you have anything plugged into the "accessory power port?" My guess is that you either had a battery plugged in, or the relay that controls power to the console and accessory port is faulty.
I do not have anything plugged in the accessory power port.
What do you mean by a "battery plugged in"?

garygid said:
Did you try applying the Parking Brake as the message suggested?
Yes. Watch what happened when I applied it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEsp7MvaIkI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

leafwing said:
No. The technician hasn't seen this before, so he had to run a diagnostic test. I was on the phone with the supervisor and he told me that there is something wrong with the "meter board"; they have to replace it. They ordered the part and they are expecting to receive it in two days. The car will be ready on Friday. I hope.
Now what is the "meter board"? That is the question that I have to ask when I go to pick up the car.
It would be interesting to hear if the "meter board" is the same as what Toyota calls the combination meter on Priuses. See http://lusciousgarage.com/blog/video_prius_dead_dashboard/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. In those cases, one has to use push + hold power to shutdown the car.

leafwing said:
DarkStar said:
leafwing said:
I do not have anything plugged in the accessory power port.
What do you mean by a "battery plugged in"?
I was charging a battery backup with inverter via the accessory port in my Leaf, and I surprisingly found out that when I turned off the car that the Clarion system stayed on until I unplugged the battery backup that I was charging.

It was one of these: http://amzn.com/B000TKHMWK and the accessory plug has a direct connection to the internal battery.

leafwing said:
LTLFTcomposite said:

I hope that you will not have a problem ever.

My problem is when something like this does hit I won't remember the exact sequence of events that triggered it. I hope the software in this thing has good logging/tracing so they can find the bug quickly and get an update out.

Back