Nissan LEAF Light Bulb Mods: LEDs Anyone?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went to swap out my reverse lights and couldn't get the assembly off. Unscrewed the three obvious hex bolts but something else is holding it tight. Before I risk breaking something assuming it's just a spring clip, I wanted to ask if there was some special trick.

No it is just tight pull from the bottom work it side to side a bit watch out at the top it is easy to catch the corner of the car and it will chip.

Thanks. Took more force then I thought it ought, but it popped off. Just needed that reassurance that I wasn't missing a bolt or special technique. Thanks again!

The HID's I purchased look promising but it means cutting and rewiring highs as the ballast will not fit inside the housing.
So I will need to mod the harness and the screw on cover to take more wires

Alex said:
Brightonuk said:
I am reading all these posts about upgrading this bulb and that bulb, Does anyone have a comprehensive list on bulb upgrades with part numbers and outlets?
I replaced most of my lights with LEDs that I bought from eBay. Here is a list of links:

After sitting on my shelf for months, I finally got around to installing these. I found, however, that the Reverse Lights indicated are too focused and only illuminates a narrow area on each side of the field of view so I put the "Front White Parking Lights" in the reverse socket instead and this resulted in a great improvement in visibility IMO. They also are much brighter from all angles and, therefore, more likely to be seen by pedestrians when you are backing out of a parking space.

I did a HID high-beam update on my Leaf yesterday, and will have the car at the next Bay Leafs meeting in Los Altos on the 14th if anyone is interested in seeing it.

It is very straight forward, no cutting of wires is necessary, just cutting at 7/8" hole in the headlight assembly access cover to for the new wiring and sealing grommet. You don't even need to remove the headlights to do this mod. It takes about 30 minutes to do.

leafhidlight1.jpg

leafhidlight2.jpg

leafhidlight3.jpg

leafhidlight4.jpg

Did the same upgrade as OrientExpress I just changed one side to see the difference

Can you tell which one if the HID?

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    146 KB · Views: 127
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 127
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    111.5 KB · Views: 127
Being lazy, and not wanting to look in the manuals, how does one remove the two front lenses for the map lights and the lens in the cargo area for that light on the right?

TomT said:
Being lazy, and not wanting to look in the manuals, how does one remove the two front lenses for the map lights and the lens in the cargo area for that light on the right?

It is very simple. Just go into your owners manual and follow the easy to read instructions.

I was going to say something surly/sarcastic here, but I'll be nice and just let it pass... :lol:
OrientExpress said:
TomT said:
It is very simple. Just go into your owners manual and follow the easy to read instructions.

Never mind, I went ahead and looked it up... For those wanting to know the answer, you place a flat blade screw driver, covered with some cloth to prevent it from scratching, under the forward lip of the lens and pry the lens up. It will then pop off.

TomT said:

francisaoki said:
Has anyone replaced the Halogen Hi-lights with LED's ?
I tried it with the most powerful LED I could find, but it just wasn't enough light. I did get the cool blue halogen lamps and it looks better now. I did replace the parking lights with a 96 LED "Corn Cob". Now I use my parking lights for driving lights. Works great!!

I replaced the foglights with these 68 LED H11 lamps:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/130397799793" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
H11_68.jpg

I haven't seen 96 LED bulbs, but I used these 38 LED bulbs for the parking lights:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/150438852492" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
38LED_parking.jpg

I tried quite a few bulbs for the map lights, and decided these looked best, and gave the most light output:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/260811916577" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
maplight.jpg

Back