Help Choosing the right EVSE

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcdivenut

Hi all - so after driving my one, my wife is convinced and I just filled out the online reservation for my what will hopefully be my next car.
So I have now spent the better part of 3 hours reading this forum (thanks for the great resource) and looking at different things.
One of he first questions I have is about charging stations. I assure you that I have read pretty much every stickied thread and a couple of pages below that, and I don't think there is a clear answer out there, and hoping the collective can assist. Here is my situation

Will probably lease, not buy but that might change based on final #'s but my hope is that battery tech evolves in 3 years so probably lease and as far as I can tell I don't want to pay interest on a charger that I will hopefully use after this car.
I am getting a 2012 SV (with QC)
Will be charging outside. I have a garage, but a narrow driveway, so the "out" car is the most heavily used, which I want to be the Leaf, so need a weatherproof unit.
I do have a standard outlet by the driveway, which I might be able to convert to 240, but not sure and don't know enough about electrical to know if this even remotely possible.
I know I have a 200A panel, but I was looking at doing something else (installing a backup generator) and the electrician said there were no extra slots in my main panel so he was talking about adding a sub panel. I am not sure if I am doing the generator, but if that is the case I would probably have him do a sub panel with enough room to accommodate both, right?
I am able to convert Amtrak points to Lowe's gift cards, giving me between $300 and $400 in savings, lowering the Watt Station cost there to $600 to $700.
I like the idea of the unit being able to turn off completely so no vampire.
I want to be able to be able to control when I charge, although I think I can do that with an app or from the car, right?

So based on this I am thinking that the Watt Station from Lowes and paying an electrician to install is probably going to be less expensive that the Aerovironment (plus I don't love that they charge $99 for an assessment, although I understand why) route? I also get the idea of Nissan having a preferred partner, but tend to think that intelligent and researched purchasing saves money vs the convenience of the preferred solution.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions?

dcdivenut said:
Hi all - so after driving my one, my wife is convinced and I just filled out the online reservation for my what will hopefully be my next car.
So I have now spent the better part of 3 hours reading this forum (thanks for the great resource) and looking at different things.
One of he first questions I have is about charging stations. I assure you that I have read pretty much every stickied thread and a couple of pages below that, and I don't think there is a clear answer out there, and hoping the collective can assist. Here is my situation

Will probably lease, not buy but that might change based on final #'s but my hope is that battery tech evolves in 3 years so probably lease and as far as I can tell I don't want to pay interest on a charger that I will hopefully use after this car.
I am getting a 2012 SV (with QC)
Will be charging outside. I have a garage, but a narrow driveway, so the "out" car is the most heavily used, which I want to be the Leaf, so need a weatherproof unit.
I do have a standard outlet by the driveway, which I might be able to convert to 240, but not sure and don't know enough about electrical to know if this even remotely possible.
I know I have a 200A panel, but I was looking at doing something else (installing a backup generator) and the electrician said there were no extra slots in my main panel so he was talking about adding a sub panel. I am not sure if I am doing the generator, but if that is the case I would probably have him do a sub panel with enough room to accommodate both, right?
I am able to convert Amtrak points to Lowe's gift cards, giving me between $300 and $400 in savings, lowering the Watt Station cost there to $600 to $700.
I like the idea of the unit being able to turn off completely so no vampire.
I want to be able to be able to control when I charge, although I think I can do that with an app or from the car, right?

So based on this I am thinking that the Watt Station from Lowes and paying an electrician to install is probably going to be less expensive that the Aerovironment (plus I don't love that they charge $99 for an assessment, although I understand why) route? I also get the idea of Nissan having a preferred partner, but tend to think that intelligent and researched purchasing saves money vs the convenience of the preferred solution.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions?
Both the Watt Station and the Aeroviroment are weatherproof. You can buy the AV unit directly from them for $995 and have your own electrician do the install.

How far away will the charge be located? Aerovirment is the only one with a 25' cable.

Welcome to the forum and to your future as a LEAF family. Glad that you've found the forum useful. We still love our LEAF and driving electric after 9 months with ours.

1. Can you actually get a LEAF SV model with QC? For the 2011 model year, we had to order the SL in order to get the QC.

2. You're probably correct to avoid AV's/Nissan's $99 fee and AV's costly install charges. I haven't read much about the GE Wattstation, but it looks like it is outdoor-rated, so that'll work for you. I notice that the cord length is 16 feet. The AV unit has an option of a 25 foot cable. You don't mention your proposed distance from your EVSE mounting location to where you plan to park your LEAF, but do consider the distance.

3. You can't really "convert" a 110 V outlet to a 220 v outlet, but you could conceivably have the proper wiring pulled to that location and use the existing outdoor outlet box for your 220 v plug. You might want to install a new outlet box for your 220 v plug, though, because you might want a nearby 110 v for "trickle charging" with the standard Level 1 charging cable EVSE that comes with the car, and for other outdoor uses such as holiday lights, garden tools, etc.

4. The sub-panel idea is probably your best choice for placing the 40 Amp breaker for your EVSE circuit, since your main panel is full of breakers.

5. For timing your charges, the LEAF comes standard with timers built in to its operating software. You won't need an "app".

Best regards and Happy New Year

I drove 5 months on the included L1 charging at the slow 120 volts and driving 50 miles per day average. Just saying it works fine so don't panic on the L2 install. Definately skip the AV assessment IMO.

You won't go wrong with the Wattstation as long as 16' cable is plenty. I believe it needs to be hardwired (no plugin) if mounted outside.

It's unlikely you can convert the 120V outlet to 240V as the wires leading to it must not be connected to any other outlets (i. e. that outlet is the only thing connected to the circuit breaker). Even if it is, the wire is probably only large enough for 15 or 20 amps which might charge your Leaf but would have no headroom for future EVs.

Most likely, you will need new wires, rated for 40 amps (or maybe even 70 amps), pulled from your panel (or new subpanel) to the charging station.

If you have a fence next to your (narrow) driveway, maybe you should look at having conduit buried so that you can mount the charging station on the fence instead of the garage. This way, you'd have an easier time plugging in the second (or third) car on the driveway.

I'd suggest you find a local electrician to look over your situation and give you an estimate. If you post where you live, someone may be able to give you a recommendation.

Thanks for all the responses.
I am getting the SL, not the SV... got them confused :)... so it will have QC
16 feet should be plenty of cord since my driveway is long but narrow, and I will probably mount the EVSE to the side of the house. If I get another EV I figure I can back one in and have the other straight in so they can share.

I would love to save the cash and go for the EVSE upgrade and then just have the electrician install a sub-panel and pull a 240 outlet to where I need it to plug that in and then waiting until the next gen of EVSEs since I am sure pricing will come down. However, the idea of plugging something like that in outside just makes me nervous... electricity + water/snow = no good!

I live in Bethesda MD, if anyone has recommendations for electricians... seems like there is a VERY broad range of understanding of what is needed for these and as a result quotes vary tremendously.

I plug my EVSE upgraded unit in, outside and in the rain and snow, during work at my co-workers house. I use a $10 tool box that I lock, which keeps the elements and the curious away from the EVSE. I also lock the nozzle to the car & use waterproof cord connection boxes where my extension cord meets the EVSE cable. I charge 10 KW a day at work with 110v and 10KW a night with 220v at home with the same EVSE.

dcdivenut said:
...I would love to save the cash and go for the EVSE upgrade and then just have the electrician install a sub-panel and pull a 240 outlet to where I need it to plug that in and then waiting until the next gen of EVSEs since I am sure pricing will come down. However, the idea of plugging something like that in outside just makes me nervous... electricity + water/snow = no good! ...
If you are planning to keep the Nissan EVSE in the car, then I'd go for the Wattstation rather than load and unload it every day (ColumbiaRiverGorge obviously feels differently). If you're planning to just leave it home and plugged in, I'd do the upgrade and mount some sort of weather resistant housing for the outlet and the EVSE "brick" to live in.

DoxyLover has it right on upgrading your existing outlet...it must be dedicated (the only outlet on the circuit) and you'll be limited to the 15 or 20 amp rating of the wires used to run it.

Davewill makes a great point. I am still waiting to see if the EVSE gets better and cheaper. The Wattstation does look sweet. My LEAF has had two collisions so far, so money spent for a fixed EVSE went to repairs. I park my car at the back of parking lots to avoid door dents, but on a dark and windy night, a shopping cart sped down the lot, to the bottom of the lot meeting my front left quarter panel. That was a $1200 repair!, $500 deductible. A rock took out a fog light and another $200+ part. It could be worse, I could still have a $250 a month gas payment.

Good thoughts... still not sure about the EVSE and the elements, but glad to hear that others have had it work without a problem.
Just finished the online form to order my Leaf and they are giving me a 3 month timeframe.
Based on that, and the rate at which I accumulate Amtrak miles for work the Watt Station may end up only costing me a couple hundred bucks :D after I convert them to Lowe's cards. hey... maybe in a couple of months the cost will even go down (although personally I doubt it).

dcdivenut said:
I live in Bethesda MD, if anyone has recommendations for electricians... seems like there is a VERY broad range of understanding of what is needed for these and as a result quotes vary tremendously.
Don't know if you are still looking for an electrician, but I had master electrician Cary Lamari from Cary Electric install my GE WattStation outside my house in Maryland (and my WattStation is the model that plugs in to an outlet rather than being hard-wired). Here's a YouTube video that shows him installing the AeroVironment charger during the middle of the video (this video is how I first came to know of Cary): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R61LyUJEupM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back