Auto self-locking door

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Google search box on the website's search page gave me this as the first hit when I asked for auto lock:
How to disable auto door LOCK?

The answer there is what keydiver said, though with a bit more detail. I haven't tried it, but it might be a good idea to follow the instructions in the Owners Manual for disabling auto unlock, except for pushing the button the other way. i.e. I'm suggesting you do it within 20 seconds of turning the car on.

Ray

If you want to change the MODE TYPE (and not just turn the function on/off--which is in the manual), you can have a Nissan tech plug-in their CONSOLE laptop to the car and change settings. For example, you can have the doors lock:
1) when you shift out of "park"
2) when you reach 20 mph
It took them awhile to figure it out, but I had them adjust both the lock and unlock settings.

I'd have to go back and re-read the service manual to confirm but I believe that this may be one of those Consult programmable functions that is reset and lost if the car is rebooted...

Stanton said:
If you want to change the MODE TYPE (and not just turn the function on/off--which is in the manual), you can have a Nissan tech plug-in their CONSOLE laptop to the car and change settings.

The manual only talks about auto unlock when you arrive with the doors locked. Doors unlock when you turn power off or hit park button.

I would like it to stop locking me in when I take off. There is no mention of that in the manual as far as enable/disable this particular feature.

Does anyone know how to disable auto lock? I know how to enable/disable auto unlock.

Thanks.

The directions as above DO work, no matter what the manual does or doesn't say. Within 20 seconds of turning the car on, simply hold the "LOCK" button on your driver's door for 5 seconds, until the light flash, or the car beeps, or whatever. The Leaf will no longer lock the doors automatically. Trust me, its the first thing I changed on my 2012.

TomT said:
I'd have to go back and re-read the service manual to confirm but I believe that this may be one of those Consult programmable functions that is reset and lost if the car is rebooted...

Stanton said:
If you want to change the MODE TYPE (and not just turn the function on/off--which is in the manual), you can have a Nissan tech plug-in their CONSOLE laptop to the car and change settings.

I've verified that NOT to be the case (it retains the settings) :cool:

OK, good to know. There are a number of functions that can be set or modified by the Consult that revert to their default setting if 12 volt power is removed from the vehicle, but it has been many months since I last read those sections of the Service Manual and couldn't recall off the top of my head which they are...

Stanton said:
I've verified that NOT to be the case (it retains the settings) :cool:

keydiver, maybe they changed something in 2012 model. I have 2011.

I'm gonna try it again and report. So far no luck. I tried everything, holding the unlock button down and cycle power off and on (per manual), not holding it down after it beeped, cycle power off and on, not cycle power off and on -- all possible permutations I could think of. It would do one beep first time (after 5 sec holding down) and 2 beeps next time. One beep is the one I'm after that's supposed to do the trick. As it stands right now, one beep turns off unlock when powered off and 2 beeps turns it on again (unlock when powered off). No difference as far as auto lock when taking off.

So, every time I hit 14 mph the stupid thing would lock me in and that's it.

'11 when I finish driving I turn car off and immediately on than hold lock for a while and now no more locking @14
ILETRIC said:
keydiver, maybe they changed something in 2012 model. I have 2011.

I'm gonna try it again and report. So far no luck. I tried everything, holding the unlock button down and cycle power off and on (per manual), not holding it down after it beeped, cycle power off and on, not cycle power off and on -- all possible permutations I could think of. It would do one beep first time (after 5 sec holding down) and 2 beeps next time. One beep is the one I'm after that's supposed to do the trick. As it stands right now, one beep turns off unlock when powered off and 2 beeps turns it on again (unlock when powered off). No difference as far as auto lock when taking off.

So, every time I hit 14 mph the stupid thing would lock me in and that's it.

Stoaty - no one is going to steal me or my car, however, no one can help me if I'm locked in my vehicle and need to be extracted from there. I'd lock the door driving in a very bad neighborhood, but how often do I do that, right?

ILETRIC said:
I tried everything, holding the unlock button down and cycle power off and on (per manual), not holding it down after it beeped, cycle power off and on, not cycle power off and on -- all possible permutations I could think of.
Did you really mean what you said, that you were holding UNLOCK down? That will set or reset the auto unlock function, as the manual says. It won't do anything with the auto lock function. To affect that you have to hold LOCK down.

Ray

Stopping the auto lock is something I tried ... and failed

If you use the proceedure the car stays locked from the time you hit about 15mph until you manually unlock it.

As said above, if I need help, I don't want them doing mental gymnastics for 10 minutes before they decide to break a window.

This "feature" is a PITA

ILETRIC said:
Stoaty - no one is going to steal me or my car, however, no one can help me if I'm locked in my vehicle and need to be extracted from there. I'd lock the door driving in a very bad neighborhood, but how often do I do that, right?
Out of curiosity, do you also not wear a seatbelt because you want to be able to escape quickly if you drive into a lake? :roll:

If you need help so badly that you can't open the door yourself, the cost of a window should be the least of your worries.
=Smidge=

Hey, it worked like a charm!

Thanks, planet4ever. Makes total sense now to play with the lock side of the button rather than the unlock side to enable/disable the appropriate functions.

Thanks again for the suggestion. Interestingly enough, it is not mentioned in the 2011 manual as far as I can tell. Looks like an omission. Calls for a fix if it's also missing from the 2012 manual.

Back