Glove box Question

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i have a glove box light and it...sucks. first some background.

my Prius has a glovebox light that is on when the car is on. ya thats right. even with the glovebox closed the light is on all the time.

now my Leaf has a light as well, it also stays on all the time (no switch) but only when the headlights are on. which is understandable i guess although i would like the option to open the glovebox and have light without the headlights being on but switches break and they are not free so i do see the point

CWO4Mann said:
I just checked my glove box and no light but it does have the cut-out hole. I'll mosey over to the dealer this Saturday and tell them that I found "a defect" and see what they say.

sorry (OT alert!!) but have to ask... is your VIN correct? would this not imply there are 150,000 Leafs running around?

I just went out and checked my (late) 2011 SL. It indeed has a glove box light, switched along with the parking lights. Judging from the color and dimness, I'd say it's probably an LED, perhaps because it would be difficult to change a burned-out incandescent.

I guess I've never opened the glove box at night because I had no idea there was a light! :oops:

planet4ever said:
Huh? Glove box light? I don't have one in my 2011 SL. I have a white plastic insert in that hole shown in the OP photo. Could it have been something that Nissan dropped post-tsunami? (Possibly a parts supply problem.) Does anybody with a VIN > 1000 have one?

Ray

Ray, check it with your headlights turned on. I bet that white plastic insert lights up. That's what my light looks like.

For about $6 at Home Depot they have a 2-pack of small LED lights that can be switched manually, or magnetically, for cupboards, etc.. You mount the magnet on the door and the light inside and when they separate the light turns on.

Amerelle LED Insta Lights (2-Pack)
Model # 71185 Store SKU # 542806
$5.97 /EA-Each

lites.jpg

Seems like a decent solution although on second thought I'd probably set it up closer to the passenger side door to get the magnet block out of the path moving things in and out. Alas, the double-sticky tape is one-use only. There are two sets if you make a mistake but I'd already put the other light in the charge port to be switched on manually should I ever need it. I think I'll probably redo this but at least you get an idea... Time will tell if they are up to automobile vibration levels, etc...

img1332d.jpg

Boomer23 said:
planet4ever said:
Huh? Glove box light? I don't have one in my 2011 SL. I have a white plastic insert in that hole shown in the OP photo.
Ray, check it with your headlights turned on. I bet that white plastic insert lights up. That's what my light looks like.
Oops, right you are. I learn something every day.

Ray

Nubo said:
Brightonuk said:
My 2012 does not seem to have a light in the glove box the photo is where I think the light should be it is just a hole
In addition, the second photo is the panel on the left inside the glove box it looked like it has a handle but there is a sticky type tape inside the handle any ideas

I think I see your problem. You bought a Chevy!! :lol:

file.php
+1 :lol:

Well as inquiring minds do, indeed, want to know - I went out and pulled the glove compartment on my 2012 SL. There is a wiring harness for the light that has been taped up and tucked away. This was clearly deleted on purpose, but I don't know what the purpose was. I will try tomorrow to go to Nissan and get the light and install it. I removed the tape from the harness and left it sticking out of the hole in my glove compartment for easy install! Yes, I re-taped the end since a small current is running through it with the lights on (I tested it.)

Hey PatricioEV nice find! Can you reach the harness through the hole? How did you get to it?

I wrote to Nissan about this, It is not so much that they may have decided not to use the light but to leave that Chevy emblem hole is unbelievable.

Well, maybe they wanted people to think it was a Chevy Volt... :lol:

Seriously, if you are going to save 10 cents by eliminating the glove box light, at least spend 1 cent to put a cover in so it isn't as obvious what you have done!

This kind of thinking on Nissan's part is what perpetuates the expensive economy car stereotype... Apparently they have not learned anything from the comments by many over the last year...
Brightonuk said:
I wrote to Nissan about this, It is not so much that they may have decided not to use the light but to leave that Chevy emblem hole is unbelievable.

TomT said:
This kind of thinking on Nissan's part is what perpetuates the expensive economy car stereotype... Apparently they have not learned anything from the comments by many over the last year...

Maybe it is an economy car with $15k worth of electric bits tacked on.

Yes, as has been discussed before, in many regards it is exactly that: An economy car with an expensive electric drive train and battery...
Herm said:
TomT said:
Maybe it is an economy car with $15k worth of electric bits tacked on.

Brightonuk said:
Hey PatricioEV nice find! Can you reach the harness through the hole? How did you get to it?

The way it's taped up, you'd have to remove the glove box. It's only ten screws. Lower the door, release the black slide arm on the left hand side and pull straight out from the bottom. That'll release the door and give you the angle you need to slide the top arms out of the holes. Then remove all ten screws you see. There's a foot panel attached that you can pull down from the very back and the clips will release it, then just pull the compartment straight out. There are some clips so you have to yank. Don't worry, it's all designed to come apart! Right in the middle above the empty cavity, you should find a wrapped up loose harness and tiny connector. just unwrap and thread down through the "Chevy bow tie" hole in top of the glove compartment as you put it all back together in reverse order.

Looks like the part # is "[24860M] SOCKET & BULB" or SKU 24860-ZE0001 and costs $15.18 at courtesynissan.com: http://www.courtesyparts.com/24860m-socket-bulb-leaf-ze0-2011-p-645313.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Doesn't look like the same part is used on other cars, but at least if the picture is to be believed it appears to be a LED if it's similar to the one used on both the Versa and GTR.

Back