Stuck behind a Leaf in HOV lane

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
drees said:
Simple rule of thumb that's posted all over the place, but is often ignored: Slower Traffic Keep Right! When there is an HOV lane that is the left lane and you are in it, this means you should be moving slightly faster than the speed of traffic in the regular lanes. If that speed is over the limit, then you probably should move over to the regular traffic lanes.

I'm sure glad I don't live in CA with your traffic laws. It's a collision just waiting to happen. There's no doubt that countless research has shown that speed kills. Here, it's a lot different. Most people use the HOV lanes (always on the far left)because there's too much traffic in the other lanes. Sometimes our HOV speed limit is 55 and sometimes 65. Here, there is absolutely nothing illegal (our law is there is no impeding of traffic if you are doing the speed limit no matter how many cars are behind you) or wrong about a car traveling the speed limit in the HOV or any other lane except the left 'fast' lane next to the HOV lane. To tell someone that they should move over into the slow 'fast' lane is ludicrous and unfair just so someone can go over the speed limit. AND, as some others have posted, it's very dangerous to be speeding past slowed traffic next to the HOV lane. We don't have that 'enter/exit' restriction that CA has, so cars can enter at ANY time and they often do. THAT speeding illegal driver can go into that 'fast' lane and work their way past the driver driving the HOV speed limit if they so choose. So your "Slower Traffic" rule isn't so simple when it comes to HOV lanes. It does make sense though for all the other lanes. We don't have any such signs, but most drivers do it anyway.

Packet said:
but if they're tailgating, you can't really tap the brakes to wake them up without running the risk of being rear-ended.

Packet, just flip your rear lights on for a sec instead of touching the brake pedal. They will slow down, get the hint, and you will have a nice gap.

LEAFfan said:
We don't have that 'enter/exit' restriction that CA has, so cars can enter at ANY time and they often do.
The above is mostly confined to So Cal. I've never seen any in Nor Cal but have heard of (?) a few places up here where it exists.

From what I hear, the theory is that they're there safety reasons: so that someone doesn't unexpectedly pull into a HOV lane of fast moving car(s) from lanes that are crawling.

When I was in college in LA (15+ years ago) , I accidentally crossed into/out of a HOV lane w/o even knowing about the restrictions. My So Cal passenger said: "woah! that's illegal... you can only enter/exit at the breaks". Me: "Wow, I've never seen those before." (since I grew up in Nor Cal)

drees said:
Simple rule of thumb that's posted all over the place, but is often ignored: Slower Traffic Keep Right! When there is an HOV lane that is the left lane and you are in it, this means you should be moving slightly faster than the speed of traffic in the regular lanes. If that speed is over the limit, then you probably should move over to the regular traffic lanes.

Well said. It's simple a matter of being considerate. I do agree with Leaffan that in extreme cases where the other lanes are frozen, you should not be flying by at even the posted speed limit - that's simply crazy. I want to go 80 and my Leaf will, but I usually cruise around 50 in this situation, hugging the left line and watching the stuck cars to my right like a hawk. Haven't had anyone tailgate me yet, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't wedge myself back into the mess to let some maniac past. If I'm passing everyone by a delta of over 40mph, I think the "slower traffic move right" rule is well satisfied.

I'm planning on getting the stickers ASAP as that will cut my commute time in half in No. Cal.

What I cannot understand is why the white stickers for EV vehicles will expire in 2013 but they are going to issue "green" stickers for plug-in hybrid Prius' that will last until 2015. The Prius only has a 13 mile ev range but it's going to have more time in the HOV lanes?

Does not compute.

LakeLeaf said:
My understanding of California motor laws is that you are *required* to drive the speed limit if you are in any lane but the right most *and there is traffic behind you*. If you don't drive the limit and are holding up traffic, you can be ticketed.

I assume that applies to the HOV lane too - but have never seen that clarification to be certain.
It's not as cut and dry as some above have vented. As stated above. All too often, some weak minded driver will cut into the HOV lane ... leaving YOU to slam into him or at least break hard. So ... should you be required to do 70, seeing how frequently this happens ?? Should you have to when freeway stretches are habitually stopped ahead, then drive like hell for only 1/2 mile, only to have stop or come to a crawl again? It's SO stupid - to have to blaze then crawel / blaze then crawl again and again. Yet many parts of freeways are like that every day. Over a year ago, friends of ours had relatives south bound on the 5 near Crown Valley. Multiple deaths resulted because the jack weed truck driver behind them / driving on auto pilot / up to full speed though that section of freeway invariably slows to a crawl or stop ... slammed into them. I say screw Mr(s) idiot driver ... driving on my tail when they have 2 or 3 other lanes they can speed then crawl in. Ok, I'm off my soapbox and thank your for being patient w/ me.

It is against the law to exceed the posted speed limit, even in the HOV lane. If you are eligible to drive in the HOV lane, you have the right to obey the law. I don't believe in leaving the HOV lane just so others can more easily violate the speed limit.

Spindoctor said:
I'm planning on getting the stickers ASAP as that will cut my commute time in half in No. Cal.

What I cannot understand is why the white stickers for EV vehicles will expire in 2013 but they are going to issue "green" stickers for plug-in hybrid Prius' that will last until 2015. The Prius only has a 13 mile ev range but it's going to have more time in the HOV lanes?

Does not compute.
What makes you think white stickers expire in 2013? They're good until 2015, just like the greens will be. http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/carpool/carpool.htm

fooljoe said:
Spindoctor said:

Does not compute.
What makes you think white stickers expire in 2013? They're good until 2015, just like the greens will be. http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/carpool/carpool.htm

I will bet the white stickers will be extended beyond 2015 :)

fooljoe" What makes you think white stickers expire in 2013? They're good until 2015 said:
http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/carpool/carpool.htm[/url]

My mistake. Last time I had checked the DMV site the whites were expiring 2013. Thanks for the correction.

fooljoe said:
Also, one can hope that the 2015 deadline gets extended again. Anyway, the future is uncertain, but it's $8. One would have to be incredibly certain about never wanting to use the HOV lane and keeping the car until 2015 and the law never changing not to just plunk down the $8.

For my commute it cuts the bridge toll from $5 to $2.50 so it will pay for itself in about 3 days. :)

I forget where I read it, but I recall that the Prius stickers adding something like $1700 to the resale value in traffic nightmare areas like So Cal.

BudRaymond said:
It is against the law to exceed the posted speed limit, even in the HOV lane. If you are eligible to drive in the HOV lane, you have the right to obey the law. I don't believe in leaving the HOV lane just so others can more easily violate the speed limit.

what Bud said.
I called CHP, as you can see way up above, and they said: If you are driving 65, you are following the law. The folks behind you have no right to speed, nor do you.

If you force them to pass on the right, you are putting them and yourself at risk. And I don't believe everything the CHP says. The law says SLOWER traffic keep right, so you are violating the law as much as the speeder.

thankyouOB said:
I called CHP, as you can see way up above, and they said: If you are driving 65, you are following the law. The folks behind you have no right to speed, nor do you.
Of course, you always run the risk of what happened here a few months ago...

A Prius was apparently going exactly 65 in the HOV lane while other traffic in the regular lanes was going somewhat faster. A large pickup truck came up behind him and was flashing his lights and honking his horn for a number of miles according to the report, trying to get him to move over or speed up. Finally the driver of the large pickup swerved out of the lane to pass and clipped the Prius and spun it in to the center divider. The report says the Prius was totaled but the driver was basically unhurt. The pickup kept going and they are still looking for it last I heard...

AP1 said:
If you force them to pass on the right, you are putting them and yourself at risk. And I don't believe everything the CHP says. The law says SLOWER traffic keep right, so you are violating the law as much as the speeder.
wrong wrong wrong.

CHP says speeding at more than 65 in the HOV lane is a speeding violation.
You CANNOT find law that supports what you are saying with regard to the HOV lane.
It does not exist.

TomT said:
thankyouOB said:
Of course, you always run the risk of what happened here a few months ago...

A Prius was apparently going exactly 65 in the HOV lane while other traffic in the regular lanes was going somewhat faster. A large pickup truck came up behind him and was flashing his lights and honking his horn for a number of miles according to the report, trying to get him to move over or speed up. Finally the driver of the large pickup swerved out of the lane to pass and clipped the Prius and spun it in to the center divider. The report says the Prius was totaled but the driver was basically unhurt. The pickup kept going and they are still looking for it last I heard...

you have a cite for this?
or is it urban legend?

BrendanDolan said:
TomT said:
Proof once again that EV drivers can be every bit as incompetent and inconsiderate as ICE drivers...

Correct, but that's life. The same person who will smile and gladly let you ahead in line at the grocery store is the same person that will fly through the parking lot at 30 mph and honk at everyone who is backing up just to get out ahead of everyone. :lol:

I cannot stand left lane campers, EV or ICE. If you're blocking the flow of traffic, move. If someone wants to go 90 mph and I'm in the left lane going 80 mph, I will gladly move over, even if it requires a momentary reduction in my speed.

Reminds me of a time in Germany going between Mannheim and Frankfurt .. I was steady at 140 mph in a Porsche 911E and a Volkswagon Golf (known as the Rabbit in the States) pulls up behind me and blinks his lights at me. Passed me like I was standing still. I still wonder what he had under the hood.

Dave

I checked back with CHP again and officer montoyez said: if you are going the speed limit, you dont have an excuse to go 75 because someone behind you wants to speed. That would make you a speeder, too.
The move-to-the-right ONLY applies in HOV lanes where there are is more than one HOV lane, such as on the 110 freeway or in parts of southern OC.

consideration goes both ways, TT.
if people want to speed they can do it in the number 1 lane, where I would NOT drive because I would be able to move over.

Back