Better Data Connection is needed.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoppy

Is there any hope of getting a Verizon connection for my Leaf? There is such bad service from AT&T at my home that Carwings refuses to update 95% of the times I try it.
Nissan: are you guys tracking the number of failures to communicate?
Guests that bring AT&T cell-phones to my home can never get calls out.
Verizon is a much larger and more reliable network in the U.S. Why can't we use a service that actually works?

Carwings is basically useless to me until this gets fixed. If Nissan thinks I'll subscribe to this the way it is, they're sadly mistaken.

If not that then how about a Wi-Fi connection from the Leaf to my home router?
Or is there a way to route network traffic through the J1772 port and the EVSE?

Hoppy said:
If not that then how about a Wi-Fi connection from the Leaf to my home router?
Or is there a way to route network traffic through the J1772 port and the EVSE?
You could get a MicroCell for your home: link
It basically acts like a cell tower, but routes the traffic over your home internet connection.

I've heard of providers giving these for free to their customers that have bad connectivity at home, but it looks like AT&T charges, and I don't know how that would work with Carwings. It might be worthwhile calling Nissan & complaining about the connection and see if they can set you up with a MicroCell.

Thanks for the thought.
I already looked into that. AT&Ts microcell isn't open, meaning you have to register each device that you want to be able to use it (unlike Verison's) You also have to have a phone account with them to manage the microcell. Perhaps Nissan could wrangle the deal, but I don't want to pay the $170 to purchase it.

I'd just like to use a better network.

AT&T uses the GSM technology which is the most prevalent worldwide. Verizon uses CDMA which is found in Asia, South America, etc but only covers 40 some countries when GSM covers over 120 something so it was a business decision that was made based on the most widespread technology.

what they should have done is based it on an non specific protocol. the data transmission is so pathetically slow but does not transfer much data most of the time. too bad satellite would not work in buildings since that would be the way to go when latency would not be an issue.

Since Sprints change of heart, it does look like LTE will be the major technology in a few years. so maybe we can hope for a change in 2014?

DaveinOlyWA said:
Since Sprints change of heart, it does look like LTE will be the major technology in a few years. so maybe we can hope for a change in 2014?

Unfortunately LTE is so badly fragmented there is little hope of it working world wide. I think there are currently 38 different radio frequency spectrums being used for LTE around the world which will severely limit roaming and compatibility between LTE providers.

http://www.cedmagazine.com/news/2011/12/gsma-warns-of-lte-spectrum-fragmentation

-Matt

Hoppy said:
Thanks for the thought.
I already looked into that. AT&Ts microcell isn't open, meaning you have to register each device that you want to be able to use it (unlike Verison's) You also have to have a phone account with them to manage the microcell. Perhaps Nissan could wrangle the deal, but I don't want to pay the $170 to purchase it.

I'd just like to use a better network.

I have the ATT microcell and it does not have any provision to connect to the LEAF. The ATT microcell needs a 10 digit telephone number and the LEAF doesn't have one. There are prior posts discussing the LEAF telephone number in detail and I agree other means to get the cell data signal are definitely needed.

Back