Remove the Back Headrests = Better Rear View

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not only is it potentially unsafe, it ties up the screen so that it can't be used for anything else... Better to take out or turn the headrests as I did on day one of ownership...

Brightonuk said:
Keep the headrests and utilize the backup camera with the "camera always on" Mod

They are definitely needed for rear seat passengers for their safety (I wouldn't ride in someone's car without them) so I've left mine in from day one and have had no vision problems, but putting them on the side is a good idea if you have vision problems.

Anyone know of other car models that use the same 1/2" on 4 1/2" centers stem pitch? I drop my kids off at school every day so removing these aren't an option but if I could find a compatible lower profile headrest, I would go for that. Spent about an hour on Google and eBay trying to find something, but stem spacing just isn't something people talk a lot about.

TickTock said:
Anyone know of other car models that use the same 1/2" on 4 1/2" centers stem pitch? I drop my kids off at school every day so removing these aren't an option but if I could find a compatible lower profile headrest, I would go for that. Spent about an hour on Google and eBay trying to find something, but stem spacing just isn't something people talk a lot about.

Try and find the Euro market versions to buy:

2011_nissan_leaf_33_cd_gallery.jpg

mwalsh said:
Try and find the Euro market versions to buy:

2011_nissan_leaf_33_cd_gallery.jpg

Now, why didn't they do ours that way? I even though it has a rear camera, I still like to have a clear sight line out the back.
Headrests with holes in them like you see in old Volvos would have worked, too.
My kids are tall enough now that removing the headrests isn't an option for me anymore.

Another nugget for you (though you may have run into this already).....you can't remove the US model headrests while the seat backs are in the upright position. I found this out the hard way yesterday morning...."What..the...f**k...is...wrong...with...these...damn...headrests. Oh, they're hitting the roof." :?

mwalsh said:
Another nugget for you (though you may have run into this already).....you can't remove the US model headrests while the seat backs are in the upright position. I found this out the hard way yesterday morning...."What..the...f**k...is...wrong...with...these...damn...headrests. Oh, they're hitting the roof." :?

I ran into the same issue when I was performing this change... http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=107873#p107873" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I thought it was a strange design problem that you have to fold the seats forward to remove the headrest. Perhaps its a safety design.

My Mercedes has a hinge function. push a button and they drop down, but if you need them just pull them forward to set up . Works great. I would any for go an automatic drop button. But if some one could make a hinge function you could tilt them backwards or even forward like in the back of the Toyota highlander this would be nice. Anyone with welding skills. I guess an upholstery shop could redo the Head rest smaller.

I flopped the rear seat back forward to get the head rests down and out of the way. The less obstructed rear view was eye opening. However, I stopped noticing that clear view only a few minutes into the drive. After driving with them down for many many miles, one day at the car wash, the workers flipped the rear seat back up into place in the process of cleaning. I never even noticed that the seat back is back up and the rear head rests are supposedly "block my view" again! Now my rear seat back is always in position. I suppose I don't really need to see every last inch of the rear window to know who's where when around me.

palmermd said:
garygid said:
Rotate Rear Headrests with one support in place, for much better visibility ...
for Geeks! :D

Nice tip Gary. I did this and it does work great. I had removed them at first, but I think this is a better solution for long term storage of the headrests. I tried them a couple of different ways, but in the end I have them facing the normal direction but I put the inside leg into the outside hole. The outside leg is behind the seat between the seat-back and the trunk cover. The headrest rubs the side of the car when raising the seat-back, but I don't intend to lower them often so I don't believe this will be a problem.

20110629-020228.jpg

20110629-020238.jpg

Nice! Excellent tip and photos! I gotta try that... Those head rest really do block the rear view when backing up (I dont trust the backup camera sometimes).

I removed the back headrests on my last 3 vehicles including my Leaf, gives a much better rear view. I used to carry them in the back but got tired of moving them around and I rarely had people in the back so not they just sit in my garage and if I even need them, I know where they are. Some vehicles(some minivans I've seen) have fold-down rear headrests, nice idea :idea:

I continue to just fold down the rear seats.

It's easier and faster to flip the rear seat back up when you have a passenger than it is to replace a headrest.

garsh said:
I continue to just fold down the rear seats.

It's easier and faster to flip the rear seat back up when you have a passenger than it is to replace a headrest.
Thats not a bad idea :idea:
I hadn't thought of that, I agree it would be easier than trying to install the headrests which is kind of a PIA as you can't do it with the seats up due to the limited headroom, you have to fold the seat at least halfway anyway :x

TomT said:
Brightonuk said:
Keep the headrests and utilize the backup camera with the "camera always on" Mod
Not only is it potentially unsafe, it ties up the screen so that it can't be used for anything else..

On my Leaf S, the screen seems to do three things:
- shows me what is behind me, when transmission is in reverse. Very important.
- tells me which radio station I am listening to, when the radio is on and not in reverse. Less important to me: I rarely change the station.
- all other times, it displays the time (often in disagreement with the dash clock). Redundant.

EDIT: I forgot: it also could show incoming cell phone calls and messages. I forgot, since I don't use that feature.

Back