Nissan LEAF Light Bulb Mods: LEDs Anyone?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
120 LEDs! :
http://www.hidgeeks.com/H9-LED-Fog-Light-White-p805.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
9604.jpg

Still not bright enough, I bet.

It may be irritating to some since the LED low beams are about 5,000K and the incandescent high beams are about 3,000K. Thus, they appear to be very yellow in comparison.

richard said:
What's the make and model of the original H9 bulbs? Is the color that irritating? I'm almost at 5,000 miles and I haven't even seen the high-beams yet. I'll have to check them out tonight.

No, they are fine for fog lights but worthless for high beams. Also, the very broad light source from so many LED chips makes them very difficult to accurately focus and project. Ideally, you want a point source of light.

TEG said:
120 LEDs! :
http://www.hidgeeks.com/H9-LED-Fog-Light-White-p805.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
9604.jpg

Still not bright enough, I bet.

TomT said:
It may be irritating to some since the LED low beams are about 5,000K and the incandescent high beams are about 3,000K. Thus, they appear to be very yellow in comparison.

Understood. But what are you going to want when you really need those high-beams? Matching color, or light output?

Light output wins every time for me. My Acura has HID low beams and incandescent high beams so it has the same color temperature difference, but unlike the Leaf, the high beams light up the night like twin torches due to very large and well designed reflectors. My BMW was the same way.

richard said:
TomT said:
Understood. But what are you going to want when you really need those high-beams? Matching color, or light output?

Herm said:
Alex said:
Yes, I installed these several months ago. But unfortunately, they make only a small improvement - primarily the color is much better.
I would concur with others that the reflector design is at fault.

How much power did the replacement bulbs consume in comparison with the Leaf's stock ones?
I have never measured to power usage of these bulbs, but according to their description, they consume 65W (like the stock bulbs). Here is their advertisement blurb:

• Rated at 4000 Kelvin and illuminating 120 watts of light from only 65 watts, these bulbs emit a brilliant Xtreme cool white light that lights up road hazards and signs long before a normal halogen bulb.

They do seem to illuminate a bit better than the stock bulbs, but it’s probably due to a slight increase in light output and their whiter color temperature.

Having sold PIAA products for years I can tell you that the claims manufacturers make rarely translates in the field. It has a lot more to do with efficient reflector/projector housing design than bulb output.

The LED may work OK for a high beam application since you are less concerned about beam pattern. Although with the LED's spread all over the place vs. located where the halogen filament once was, I bet it will look bright from the outside looking in but not so bright from the drivers seat since light is scattering everywhere. I would buy it from amazon then return it if they suck. THey will send you a UPS label for the return freight.

If you want a more effective high beam I suggest swapping out the rather worthless fog lights and swapping in a pair of 55w driving beams (long and narrow beam) and then have the relay triggered by the high beam wiring.

Here's the data on the OEM high beam bulb

Philips H9
Germany 1B04.B
12V 65W 12361

Spec sheet

So 2000 lumens for the US (DOT) model, if I'm reading the spec sheet correctly.

Amazon lists it here. Funny, a customer is saying it's brighter than his stock bulbs.

At least one thread in Candlepowerforums says all H9's including this one, are about the same.

DSC_5398sm.JPG

DSC_5405sm.JPG

I wouldn't bother with LEDs for fog light, they are just not bright enough for the price. HID conversion is easy

http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-HID-Headlights/H11/HID-Kits-Bulbs/V-HIDS-35W-SLIM-BALLAST-p4782951.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am reading all these posts about upgrading this bulb and that bulb, Does anyone have a comprehensive list on bulb upgrades with part numbers and outlets?

Alex said:
Brightonuk said:
I am reading all these posts about upgrading this bulb and that bulb, Does anyone have a comprehensive list on bulb upgrades with part numbers and outlets?
I replaced most of my lights with LEDs that I bought from eBay. Here is a list of links:

Thanks for the post any comments or altenate suggestions on Alex's options

Bought and installed the HELLA blue bulb in one side only to see the difference. Not much. Think I wasted some money and time on this one. So be it. I don't like the brights on this car; they need to be real Xenons! How does one do that or the equivalent to get some light up the universe driving lights? Maybe this deserves it's own thread?
JimSouCal said:
HELLA H83357011 H9 12V/65W High Performance Xenon Blue Halogen Bulb (Automotive)
Better light pattern and whiter than stock bulbs, good buy (2) bulbs in package even though it said one bulb

Herm said:
Have you guys considered night vision goggle?, it would save a lot of power.. learn to think outside the box.
Already have stereo thermal nightvision goggles and they are monochromatic and have a very high noise ratio.

Here is the text from the LED replacement guide that I hand out at our BayLeafs meetings:

Nissan Leaf LED Replacement Guide

The Leaf’s lighting is a mixture of LED and traditional incandescent lighting. The low-beam headlights, brake, and rear lights are LEDs, while the rest of the lighting is incandescent. This guide is for replacement of the incandescent light bulbs. In many of the replacement applications, the LED bulbs can be 10X the cost of the OEM bulb, so economics appear to be a major factor in Nissan’s decision where to use LEDs.

There are many vendors for LED bulbs, but my recommendation for a reputable vendor is WWW.Superbrightleds.com. They have a great selection, competitive pricing and a very liberal exchange and refund policy.

Here is a list of the lights in the Leaf and their recommended LED replacement. LED replacements are not recommended for the Fog-light, parking light, and high-beam headlight bulbs.

Backup light 921-CW12/WW12 (cool white or warm white) $5.95 ea.
LED backup lights may not have the same intensity as the OEM incandescent bulbs.

License plate light WLEDNW6/WW6 (Natural or warm white) $3.74 ea.

Front Side marker light(in headlight assembly) WLED-WWHP6-TAC (Warm white) $6.95

Side turn signal light WLED-AHP5 (Amber) $5.95

Front turn signal light 3157-A45-T (Amber) $24.95
The Leaf has a CAN bus bulb-out detection circuit for the turn signals. For the LED bulb to flash correctly, an RL-2525 load resistor ($3.95) must be installed in parallel with each turn signal LED bulb.

Rear turn signal light 7440-AHP3 (Amber) $12.95
The Leaf has a CAN bus bulb-out detection circuit for the turn signals. For the LED bulb to flash correctly, an RL-2525 load resistor ($3.95) must be installed in parallel with each turn signal LED bulb.

Rear hatch and center interior light 3022-WWHP4 (warm white) Festoon bulb $6.95
There are a number of 30mm festoon bulbs available with different light dispersion angles and intensities to choose from. The Nissan OEM bulbs are 27.6mm long, but with some persuasion, the 30mm LED bulbs will work just fine.

Front interior map lights WLED-WWLX 9.95
There are a number of 194/168 type wedge bulbs available with different light dispersion angles and intensities to choose from. This recommendation is representative of that selection.

Even HIDs are going to do much for you, other than alter color temperature. The reflector design and manufacture is just too poor to properly focus and project ANY light source.

HIDs would likely work best in the fog lights and give you the most bang for the buck there if you want more light output than LEDs can provide... I was going more after affect (think DRLs) and color temperature match to the low beams than light output so LEDS worked well there for me.

JimSouCal said:
Bought and installed the HELLA blue bulb in one side only to see the difference. Not much. Think I wasted some money and time on this one. So be it. I don't like the brights on this car; they need to be real Xenons! How does one do that or the equivalent to get some light up the universe driving lights? Maybe this deserves it's own thread?

Note that, if you are attempting to match the color temperature of the LED low beam headlights, you do not want warm white, you want cool white.

OrientExpress said:
Front Side marker light(in headlight assembly) WLED-WWHP6-TAC (Warm white) $6.95

Back