Official EV Project / Ecotality / free charger thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks to mwalsh and SilverLeaf for this additional info. While it appears that all EV Project LEAFs will be fitted with the Level 3 connector, it may be that for non-project LEAFs, this could be an option.

Possibly L3 will be an option on the SV but will be included on the SL?
Or, more likely, an option for the SL, but possibly for both?
Or, perhaps it will be a dealer-install option?

Possibly, since the "USA Level 3 Standard" still might change (for some "strange" reason), Nissan is trying to minimize the number of USA LEAFs that will need a "refit"?

I am one of the ones who is waiting to hear from Ecotality because they need more information. I emailed Nissan yesterday and here is their reply below. No new information.

Thank you for taking the time to personally contact us about your interest in the Nissan LEAF.
You will receive contact directly from ECOtality when they are ready for the additional information needed to review. According to the information sent by ECOtality it will be in the next few weeks.

Straight from the horses mouth (Nissan LEAF Chat):

Art
Can you tell me if EVERY Nissan LEAF SL and SV participating in the EV Project will receive an L3 charging port at no additional cost (as part of the EV Project program)

Roland
Yes that is correct.

I have been waiting to hear from ecotality about my eligibility here in San Diego.

I just got my email. They say I was 'questionable' because they thought the installation might cost too much.
Interesting since I had a TAL charger there before, so I already have a dedicated 40A circuit running to a junction box where the EVSE will install. Oh well.

However, they provide a link for emailing. When I hit reply it delivered to one address. But when I clicked the link it wanted to send it to another address, so I sent that, too. Then I got back an "undeliverable" for the "link" address.

Oops, ecotality!

Their email follows:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Subject: Status of your Leaf Charger

Dear David,

Your responses on the questionnaire suggest that the installation at your residence of the EV charger may be more costly than allowed by EV Project guidelines. However, we would still like to include you in the EV Project.

We can arrange with you to have a local electrical contractor provide a free home assessment to determine the actual installation cost. This assessment may show that you do in fact qualify for a free home charging unit and free installation. If, however, the installation does fall outside of the EV Project cost guidelines, you will be offered a credit of up to $1200 toward the installation cost along with the free home charging unit.

If you choose not to accept this option, your registration with Nissan for the LEAF remains valid and you will be contacted by Nissan on your next steps.

We thank you for your willingness to participate in the EV Project and for deciding to be part of the gasoline-free future.

If you are interested in arranging a free home assessment, please send an email to [email protected] to request an appointment. Your prompt reply within the next 72 hours is greatly appreciated.

__ Please call me to schedule the survey home assessment
__ The preferred number is:
__ I do not want my home surveyed, please notify Nissan and keep my registration for the LEAF valid.

OK , as I suspected.

Anyone else got the mail ?

I guess most will go ahead with ecotality, considering they are essentially taking $2,200 off. BTW, if you pay extra, that would still be eligible for 50% tax credit.

evnow said:
OK , as I suspected.

Anyone else got the mail ?

I guess most will go ahead with ecotality, considering they are essentially taking $2,200 off. BTW, if you pay extra, that would still be eligible for 50% tax credit.

I just got the same email. I'll schedule an inspection ans see what they say. I'm torn between using Nissan's preffered charger (and possibly paying more than I need to) or suing something else like the Blink or Leviton's models and save a buck or two.

(shrug)

Interestingly, my mail from ecotality doesn't say what I should do with it - they just want me to "place an X on the left for one of the following " !!

They forgot to put this in our mails.

If you are interested in arranging a free home assessment, please send an email to [email protected] to request an appointment. Your prompt reply within the next 72 hours is greatly appreciated.

I was one of the ones that was told they needed more information to see if I would be included in the EV Project. I have not received any email from them yet. I am in Los Angeles, CA.

Kataphn said:
I was one of the ones that was told they needed more information to see if I would be included in the EV Project. I have not received any email from them yet. I am in Los Angeles, CA.
Me either - in San Diego County.

I just got the email from the EVproject saying they want to schedule a home assessment, but the boxes they say to check aren't checkable. Pretty dumb. Maybe this is the way to reduce the number of approved applicants.. "well you didn't follow the instructions so we assumed you didn't want the free charger".

Hi Turbo2ltr,
I was able to "x" the boxes by hitting reply back to CRM, then I used my mouse to select the entire square where the checkbox is supposed to go. Once the box is highlighted, then press "X" on your keyboard. It worked for me...

Randy

turbo2ltr said:
I just got the email from the EVproject saying they want to schedule a home assessment, but the boxes they say to check aren't checkable. Pretty dumb. Maybe this is the way to reduce the number of approved applicants.. "well you didn't follow the instructions so we assumed you didn't want the free charger".

LOL. You can just put an x next to the box & delete the empty box. The x you type comes up with a box.

BTW, they have promised to include 4700 people in the study and they need to. If they drop one person they need to pickup someone else.

How odd. I've never seen an email that you are expected to interact with the original text when you reply as a form of feedback..It's certainly not a tactic I've ever used in marketing or gathering feedback. They could have done better....but I guess "free charger" will make up for any shortcomings. :)

Thanks for the info.

I got my email was in the junk folder.

Congratulations. We would like to welcome you as a participant in the EV Project. We are moving forward together in this study that will help promote Electric Vehicles.

As a double check on our assessment tool and to be prepared for your installation later, we would like to schedule The EV Project survey team to come out and assess your home for the installation….

We would like to phone you within a week and schedule a time with you within the next two weeks for the survey home assessment.

Just got a follow up email that starts "Our apologies for any difficulties in responding back to our email. We have identified a problem and have resolved it and have decided to resend this out. Thank you for your understanding."..

I was able to respond to this one with the X's in the right spot although I had to change the formatting such that the text appears white instead of disappearing into blackness. Odd email communications.

Back