How the rear wiper blade is held on

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwalsh

Leaf Supporting Member
In case you ever need to know.....this is how the rear wiper is held on. Nut is under a plastic cover which simply pulls off (nubs on either side hold it onto the arm):

photo6.JPG

Note how mine is facing the wrong way - tint shop installed it incorrectly and I didn't notice until it rained on Saturday and I had to use it for the first time since. It did sweep downwards onto the metal hatch, but with no paint damage (fortunately!).

mwalsh said:
Note how mine is facing the wrong way - tint shop installed it incorrectly and I didn't notice until it rained on Saturday and I had to use it for the first time since. It did sweep downwards onto the metal hatch, but with no paint damage (fortunately!).
I've never seen that one, before. It must have been an interesting surprise!

Driving the LEAF in the rain/bad weather is one thing I have not been able to do with the Hertz rental LEAF, yet. I'm sure it will happen quickly once I have my LEAF. The past couple months must be a record for the rainiest period ever, here in Philly...

mwalsh said:
tint shop installed it incorrectly

I'm having my Leaf tinted tomorrow and they tell me the tint goes on the inside. What are they doing on the outside of your car? Maybe they took the whole thing off to be able to get the tint on the inside? :?

Oddly enough, I haven't turned on the wipers yet - in Seattle!

Odd weather we be havin'

Is the rear wiper replaceable by itself, or must one replace the whole arm?

tps said:
mwalsh said:
I've never seen that one, before. It must have been an interesting surprise!

Driving the LEAF in the rain/bad weather is one thing I have not been able to do with the Hertz rental LEAF, yet. I'm sure it will happen quickly once I have my LEAF. The past couple months must be a record for the rainiest period ever, here in Philly...

pasowino said:
Maybe they took the whole thing off to be able to get the tint on the inside? :?

I have a feeling that maybe they did take the glass out of the hatch completely.

Not sure about just replacing the blade. It's actually getting harder to find blade replacements...I found that last year when I needed new blades for my Focus - had to buy them (including the hatch wiper) already on new arms.

mwalsh said:

This is an example of why I had the dealer install my tint, even though it wasn't the "cheapest". These kinds of things are always done better with repetition, and there just aren't enough Leafs out there yet for "practice".

Stanton said:
This is an example of why I had the dealer install my tint, even though it wasn't the "cheapest". These kinds of things are always done better with repetition, and there just aren't enough Leafs out there yet for "practice".

Got to be honest though.....I consider it a design flaw that it can be installed incorrectly in the first place.

Deisgn flaw in that the superior shop you used did not replace the part in the order and manner in which they removed it.

There is no way on this big blue marble that everthing can be made "stupid proof".

Might be that a different person put it on than took it off. Since it's
not intuitively obvious which way the shaft will rotate, it would be
an easy mistake to make. IMHO

mwalsh said:
In case you ever need to know.....this is how the rear wiper is held on. Nut is under a plastic cover which simply pulls off (nubs on either side hold it onto the arm):[...]
Note how mine is facing the wrong way - tint shop installed it incorrectly [...]
Erm... Just curious: why does the tint shop need to remove your wiper?!!

Or you can just remove the wiper motor assembly completely and put a nice cast aluminum plug in the hole... makes for a clean look:

6148963081_a48cce2377_z.jpg

I never use a rear wiper and it always holds dust where the wiper blade meets the glass. Plus I like the cleaner look of the wiper (and emblems) removed.

Stanton said:
mwalsh said:

If you are in Middle Tennessee I recommend Performance Films of Nashville. They have done at least 6 LEAF's so far. Did a great job of mine.

Skywagon said:
I never use a rear wiper and it always holds dust where the wiper blade meets the glass. Plus I like the cleaner look of the wiper (and emblems) removed.

Each to his/her own. Personally I prefer to see out the rear window when its raining, less concerned how it 'looks'

JPWhite said:
Skywagon said:

Each to his/her own. Personally I prefer to see out the rear window when its raining, less concerned how it 'looks'

JP, he's in AZ where it rarely rains. For the whole year, our ave. is around 6" but this year we are over 2" below that so far. Also, if you use Rain-X or something similar, the rain blows right off. I use Dri Car Wash 'N Guard on all the /windows/windshield because it lasts longer than Rain-X.

LEAFfan said:
JPWhite said:
Skywagon said:

JP, he's in AZ where it rarely rains. For the whole year, our ave. is around 6" but this year we are over 2" below that so far. Also, if you use Rain-X or something similar, the rain blows right off. I use Dri Car Wash 'N Guard on all the /windows/windshield because it lasts longer than Rain-X.

Wonder if I use Rain-X on the rear camera lens would it prevent stains from dried up rain drops? Gunk on the camera lens is one of my pet peeves after a heavy rain.

mwalsh said:
aqn said:
Erm... Just curious: why does the tint shop need to remove your wiper?!!

I think they may have taken the glass out entirely to tint it. But just guessing.

I highly doubt it...

What they do is they fit the film on outside and cut it while it still sits on outside part of the glass, than they apply already cut film on the inside using the other, stickier side of the film.
It's just much easier to cut on outside of the glass and wiper comes in a way.

mwalsh said:
In case you ever need to know.....this is how the rear wiper is held on. Nut is under a plastic cover which simply pulls off (nubs on either side hold it onto the arm):
Thanks for this! Saved me a trip back to the dealer (!) who reinstalled it incorrectly after a service/wash.

Back