Is there an issue with the Blink Chargers?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brightonuk

I just read on the "Leaf Owner Group Forum" that the Blink Home Charger will not charge if your router is down.

there is a probllem with the BLINK charger in there software. If you turn your home router off the BLINK will not charge your LEAF. I started charging my LEAF but then shut off my router at night and in the morning the LEAF was not charged. ECOTALITY acknowledges this problem but has no fix for it. The work around is to power recycle the BLINK and start the charging again with the router powered on. This needs to be resolved. If your router fails you cannot charge your LEAF with the home BLINK.

Can anyone confirm this?

I have charged for a couple of months on my Blink without even connecting to the router/wifi at all, until they came an install a PLI for it. It's good that you don't believe everything people say and at least try to confirm it with others like you do.

One day last week, my wireless went down, the charger wouldn't work and I had to power cycle it. This was the first time in four months of having the blink that it failed to charge overnight.

blink has lots of data collection, screen and software issues, but it has never failed to charge in four months. NEVER.
I am on my third unit and a fourth one may come as the cost and kWh data functions dont work.

But it charges, charges charges.

thankyouOB said:
I am on my third unit and a fourth one may come as the cost and kWh data functions dont work.
It may always charge, but this doesn't exactly sound like an advertisement for the Blink. :eek:

SharonaLA said:
One day last week, my wireless went down, the charger wouldn't work and I had to power cycle it. This was the first time in four months of having the blink that it failed to charge overnight.

Woke up this morning to a Leaf that was not charged...only had 20 miles left...then went back at lunch trying to figure out what went wrong...(after reading some possible solutions on the forum:) )
instead of power cycling the blink charger, i first checked for network connectivity. what you know, all network test failed...
and no matter what i tried, the blink charger will not charge the car...

oh well, so i went thru the wifi setup page again, (already gave it a static IP from last time, and it remembered!) and the charging started as soon as blink charger got network connectivity.

i know for sure it used to charge without network connectivity...maybe some firmware got updated.

dyyuan said:
i first checked for network connectivity. what you know, all network test failed...
9 out of 10 times, the network test will fail, even if hardwired to a router and shouldn't be relied on to test connectivity. The best thing to do is set a static IP address on the Blink and that can be tested from another computer on the same network.

I must be living a charmed life... I've had my Blink for 6 months, I'm on Wifi, and I've never had a problem or a connectivity test fail... Actually, that is not quite true: I did have a red screen of death once when DWP was having a feeder problem and we were experiencing arcing, spikes and brownouts here... I had to reboot it after that,

DarkStar said:
9 out of 10 times, the network test will fail, even if hardwired to a router and shouldn't be relied on to test connectivity. The best thing to do is set a static IP address on the Blink and that can be tested from another computer on the same network.

There is a bug that intermittently will disable the Blink if it is not connected to the network.

I have seen this twice.

I connect the Blink to our network with a Cisco wireless access point. My daughter accidentally unplugged it 1 month ago. I found out 3 days later, when the Blink would not charge the Leaf when I plugged it in. Rebooting the Blink restored the charging capability, but I noticed that the network would not connect.

After figuring out the access point was off, all was well.

Until this weekend. Daughter has returned to college, and someone-who-will-not-be-named unplugged everything in her room, including the Cisco access point.

Five days later, exact same problem. Blink won't charge the Leaf. You plug it in and nothing happens. The Leaf is waiting for juice, and Blink doesn't recognize that the Leaf is even plugged in. Rebooting Blink and restarting the access point restored normal operation again.

Outside of this, the Blink has always worked. There have been a handful of overnight reboots, but when that happens the system is right back to normal.

Is the general conscience to go with a Blink or should I opt for the Nissan option when it comes to home charges or another brand?
It would cost me $2k more for the Nissan EVSE (I got the BLINK for $770.00 NIB)

The wife wants a trench to run the power cable to the EVSE so the price from Aerovironment was $2700.00 installed with the BLINK I do not have that issue as I can just plug it in to the 240 outlet in the garrage.

DarkStar said:
dyyuan said:
i first checked for network connectivity. what you know, all network test failed...

yeah, it was already on 192.168.x.250, but was off the wireless AP for some reason.(hence no access via a browser)
i had to manually select my AP, which was the 4th one (had to hit the "next") button to go over to the next page.
once that was selected, and the key input, it actually remembered it was programmed for that IP address.

this whole time, the plug was in the car, and nothing was happening, but as soon as i applied the new AP / IP setting, charging kicked off without me doing anything else.

I would go with the blink to save money but be warned, the blink is a super oversized POS that is not 100% reliable. My Blink failed to charge again last night for the third time in 3 weeks of use. I used my l1 for the first four months without an issue and use chargepoint at work everyday without an issue. Luckily I went to check on it before bed and found it wasn't charging, it was stuck in "waiting for the car" mode. I had to unplug it and wait for it to reboot then go out to the car and plug and unplug util it started charging. If mine wasn't free I would take it back and buy a second portable evse from Phil. I think their software and it's demand for an internet link is the issue. My signal is weak in the garage.

Brightonuk said:
Is the general conscience to go with a Blink or should I opt for the Nissan option when it comes to home charges or another brand?
It would cost me $2k more for the Nissan EVSE (I got the BLINK for $770.00 NIB)

The wife wants a trench to run the power cable to the EVSE so the price from Aerovironment was $2700.00 installed with the BLINK I do not have that issue as I can just plug it in to the 240 outlet in the garrage.

Back