How to disable auto door LOCK?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahagge

Forgive me if this has already been answered, but I couldn't find it in searching the site...

Question: How do I disable the auto-door-lock "feature"? I can't stand it. I need to let the wife and child out of the passenger side of the car before pulling into the garage, and none of us ever remembers to unlock, so we have to fumble in frustration.

The owner's manual talks about how to deactivate the automatic unlock function (though for the life of me, I can't of any reason why you'd want to do that), but it doesn't tell how to keep the system from auto-locking the doors when you reach 15 MPH.

There's gotta be a way...doesn't there? :roll:

Turn the car on and then hold down the lock/unlock button in the lock direction for about 5 seconds until it beeps and the parking lights flash. Holding it down in the unlock direction triggers the auto unlock with car off on and off...

ahagge said:
Forgive me if this has already been answered, but I couldn't find it in searching the site...

Question: How do I disable the auto-door-lock "feature"? I can't stand it. I need to let the wife and child out of the passenger side of the car before pulling into the garage, and none of us ever remembers to unlock, so we have to fumble in frustration.

The owner's manual talks about how to deactivate the automatic unlock function (though for the life of me, I can't of any reason why you'd want to do that), but it doesn't tell how to keep the system from auto-locking the doors when you reach 15 MPH.

There's gotta be a way...doesn't there? :roll:

Forgive me but I didn't check this on my recent LEAF test drive; but don't the doors automatically unlock when you go back to park? I know that on my VW Routan I don't mind the auto lock buttons as once you shift to park, the door will unlock if you attempt to leave the car -- you don't need to manually unlock. Having the doors auto-lock when driving (especially with little ones) I would think would be preferred until you stop. I didn't check, but perhaps the feature was disabled on the demo car we drove -- the drive event rep' did mention that they disabled the pedestrian warning noise on all the cars but didn't notice about the door locks.

redLEAF said:
Forgive me but I didn't check this on my recent LEAF test drive; but don't the doors automatically unlock when you go back to park?
Firstly, for the LEAF, when you turn the car off it auto-unlocks to let everyone out; just putting it into park isn't sufficient.

Secondly, I think the OP's point was that they're not parking; he's putting his foot on the brakes and letting folks out before pulling into the garage (so they're not squeezing out alongside a wall). Turning off the car and then turning it back on would be a pain. :)

davewill said:
Packet said:
Turning off the car and then turning it back on would be a pain. :)
Especially when he could just punch the unlock button on his armrest.
I have gotten used to this mode (had this same protocol programmed on my sports car to avoid car jacking), but the lack of backlighting on the unlock button IS a design flaw (building my list for a 3 month critical review of this car I have grown to just cherish).

One benefit is it prevents you from leaving the car without turning it off, and that, along with the security of a locked car, I also like

Awesome. Thanks! Just disabled the auto-lock.. That was very annoying. Now if we could just get rid of that "send carwings data to Nissan?" message every time you power up..

Yesterday, I asked my dealer to change the door locking setting for my LEAF from the factory-set "unlock on power OFF" to "unlock when shifting into Park." I've had several ICE vehicles of various brands and they all unlocked either the driver or all doors when the vehicle was put into Park. I find after 9+ months having to either turn off the vehicle or grope around for the door unlock button counterintuitive and something I still haven't gotten used to.

Good news: using their CONSULT system, a dealer can easily and quickly make this change. They did for me, and I really like the "shift into Park" unlocking approach way better.

Bad news: apparently Nissan considers this service chargeable to the owner/lessee; even my dealer was surprised at this as they tried to find a Nissan-approved code to bill their time against. So my suggestion might be to do this in conjunction with another door lock issue that may crop up.

FYI: The Dealer can also change the auto Door lock function with Consult III+.

Here is the relevant page from the service manual:
pic

I have mine set to lock as soon as it goes into "gear" and unlock in park. This way when I want to let someone out, I just hit park.

-Phil

If I remember correctly though - and I might very well be wrong about this - it returns to the normal behavior if the 12 volt battery is disconnected or goes dead...

Ingineer said:

TomT said:
If I remember correctly though - and I might very well be wrong about this - it returns to the normal behavior if the 12 volt battery is disconnected or goes dead...

Ingineer said:
Not when set by Consult.

-Phil

OK, good to know! Thanks!
(I wonder why they didn't make this a user selectable option...)

Ingineer said:
TomT said:
Ingineer said:
Not when set by Consult.
-Phil

I tried that Park setting and hated it. It's been a while, but I think I remember the problem was that I had to push the Park button (or the door unlock button) to get the doors to unlock. I normally just power down, and let that automatically apply Park. Again, my memory may be faulty, but I seem to remember powering down and finding the doors still locked!

Whatever the problem was, I finally concluded that my preferred mode was to turn off the auto lock. If the doors aren't locked when I'm driving, they don't have to be unlocked when I stop. Occasionally my wife gets worried at a stoplight if there is a panhandler close by, and locks the doors from her side. That's fine with me as an exceptional case.

Ray

Talking about auto-lock, does anyone know how to enable auto-lock for the doors to be locked automatically based on a timer may be 20-30 seconds after parking the car.

I have noticed that it doesn't seem to lock and I have to either press the lock button after I get out of the car or use the remote or press the button on the door. Is there a automatic lock feature?

sam4205 said:
Talking about auto-lock, does anyone know how to enable auto-lock for the doors to be locked automatically based on a timer may be 20-30 seconds after parking the car.

I have noticed that it doesn't seem to lock and I have to either press the lock button after I get out of the car or use the remote or press the button on the door. Is there a automatic lock feature?

As far as I know the car has no timed automatic lock feature.

In my case, I have the auto lock enabled but wanted to switch from unlocking when the car is powered-off to unlocking when the car is shifted into Park. I followed the directions (holding Unlock button until hazards blink) but the car will not unlock when shifted to park. The doors will lock when moving but will not unlock when shifted to park (nor when powering-off). I have to manually unlock the doors. I can toggle back and they will once again unlock when powering-off. I've tried repeatedly toggling between the two modes and have also tried turning the auto-lock on and off, but the unlock when shifting to park feature doesn't work. It's like it doesn't recognize that the car has been shifted into Park. Anyone else have this issue? Suggestions??

For both lock and unlock there are two types of choices: whether it happens automatically, and when it happens. The business with holding down the lock or unlock button will toggle the whether, but doesn't affect the when. That apparently has to be done with the Consult tool your dealer has.

For lock, the "when" options are at 15mph or when shifting out of Park.
For unlock, the "when" options are at power off or when shifting into Park.

Ray

There are actually 3 choices for some conditions: the where and when you mention, plus how many doors un/lock. The system is pretty flexible, just odd that several settings require the dealer's CONSULT system. I'm told there are actually 6 modes for the unlock function alone. Modes 5 and 6 are for future use, and:

• MODE1: All doors are unlocked when the power supply position is changed from ON to OFF (factory default)
• MODE2: All doors are unlocked when shifting the selector lever from any position other than P to P position
• MODE3: Driver side door is unlocked when the power supply position is changed from ON to OFF
• MODE4: Driver side door is unlocked when shifting the selector lever from any position other than the P to P position

I opted for MODE2 - unlock everything when shifting into P. For enhanced security, it would probably be better to just have the driver door unlock (MODE3 or 4). Since the LEAF only permits one setting, we picked MODE2. Quickly unlocking all doors is most convenient for any passengers.

I did mode 2 as well.

Lot easier to find the park button in the dark than fumble with the lock switch. Why the hell doesn't it also unlock if you power down (forcing park)? It would be much better!

-Phil

I just asked the dealer about doing this and they said they'd have to charge me $115 to reconfigure the BCM in order to change this option. ??!! Made me wonder if they just don't know how to do it & are making it more complicated than necessary.

Salisbury Sam, you make it sound like a fairly simple thing to do. Am I getting a line from the dealer here, or is it a quick and simple option they could change?

Back