SKPnSF
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:22 pm

DRL (Daytime Running Lights) wiring source

Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:31 pm

I purchased some LED lights I'd like to use as DRL. I haven't poked around under the hood or under the dash much. Does anyone know of an ignition-on wire that can accommodate (a whopping: :D ) 60mA ?

User avatar
TonyWilliams
Posts: 10090
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:48 am
Location: San Diego
Contact: Website

Re: DRL (Daytime Running Lights) wiring source

Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:34 pm

The fuse block/bus bar in front of the mighty 12v battery has some spots to a tiny fuse.

But, you want it switched, right?

SKPnSF
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:22 pm

Re: DRL (Daytime Running Lights) wiring source

Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:15 pm

I have completed the installation. I connected to a secondary fuse panel that is between the battery and firewall. There are switched and non-switched fuses in the panel. Beware, the switched fuses activate with the ignition as well as when the vehicle is connected to a charger. I don't anticipate this being a problem since the lights draw only about .5 amps.
I'd post pics, but I don't see how to attach pics to a post in this forum.

User avatar
johnr
Posts: 884
Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 2:08 pm
Delivery Date: 11 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2151
Location: Exeter, CA

Re: DRL (Daytime Running Lights) wiring source

Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:29 pm

I'd like to see some pics. Upload them to http://imageshack.us/ or http://tinypic.com/ and then come back here and paste in the code they give you. If the pics are really large, you can use the resize feature on the site - 640x480 works well.
My trip to Mineral King and the value of regen

Charging stations, electrical adapters, and portable CHAdeMO quick chargers

2011 upgrade: Fossil < Leaf. 2014 upgrade: Leaf < imiev. 2017 upgrade: imiev < tesla. Done upgrading.

SKPnSF
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:22 pm

Re: DRL (Daytime Running Lights) wiring source

Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:32 pm

Pics available
http://s1112.photobucket.com/albums/k49 ... LED%20DRL/

http://s1112.photobucket.com/albums/k492/skpnsf/Leaf%20LED%20DRL/

Slight correction, the circuit is active with ignition on and when vehicle is charging.

DarkStar
Posts: 2066
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:06 am
Delivery Date: 25 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 568
Location: Hillsboro, Oregon, USA
Contact: Website

Re: DRL (Daytime Running Lights) wiring source

Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:45 am

Does anyone know where the regular DRL circuit is? I realize that it isn't enabled for the U.S. market, but isn't it still required for Canada? Also, in the U.K. they are able to use their fog lights as DRL (without the headlights also on) also, however on the U.S. model you can't turn on the fog lights unless the headlights are on too.

I've been digging around the service manual, but haven't come up with anything...
Mikiko (2011 Nissan LEAF ETEC) Status:
Reserved: 04/20/10 | Ordered: 10/01/10 | EV Project Blink Installed: 03/22/11 | Delivered: 03/25/11 | VIN: 568

Oregon Electric Vehicle Association | Electric Auto Association

muus
Posts: 186
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:48 am
Delivery Date: 16 Jun 2014
Location: Ottawa, ON, Canada

Re: DRL (Daytime Running Lights) wiring source

Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:05 am

It would be interesting to find out how to enable DRLs on the LEAF for us Canadians that wish to purchase one south of the border.
2014 Leaf SL (Gun Metal Grey)
Upgraded Panasonic EVSE (20A)
JuiceBox bought from Kickstarter
23 months 50,000 KMs
Leaf Spy Pro: 62Ahr (up from a low of 50Ahr)

User avatar
TomT
Posts: 10640
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:09 pm
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360
Location: California, now Georgia
Contact: Website

Re: DRL (Daytime Running Lights) wiring source

Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:20 am

Unless you replace the fog lights with LEDS, as I have, they make very inefficient DRLS as that draw a total of 110 watts...

DarkStar wrote:Does anyone know where the regular DRL circuit is? I realize that it isn't enabled for the U.S. market, but isn't it still required for Canada? Also, in the U.K. they are able to use their fog lights as DRL (without the headlights also on) also, however on the U.S. model you can't turn on the fog lights unless the headlights are on too.
Leaf SL 2011 to 2016, Volt Premier 2016 to 2019, and now:
2019 Model 3; LR, RWD, FSD, 19" Sport Wheels, silver/black; built 3/17/19, delivered 3/29/19.

User avatar
EVDRIVER
Moderator
Posts: 6620
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:51 am

Re: DRL (Daytime Running Lights) wiring source

Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:24 am

mogur wrote:Unless you replace the fog lights with LEDS, as I have, they make very inefficient DRLS as that draw a total of 110 watts...

DarkStar wrote:Does anyone know where the regular DRL circuit is? I realize that it isn't enabled for the U.S. market, but isn't it still required for Canada? Also, in the U.K. they are able to use their fog lights as DRL (without the headlights also on) also, however on the U.S. model you can't turn on the fog lights unless the headlights are on too.



Which bulbs did you use? Link? I wish I could just turn on my headlights (leave on) and have them go off with the ignition like my truck. More Nissan silliness.

cfl
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:06 am

Re: DRL (Daytime Running Lights) wiring source

Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:04 am

EVDRIVER wrote:
mogur wrote: I wish I could just turn on my headlights (leave on) and have them go off with the ignition like my truck. More Nissan silliness.

Just cover the light sensor on the passenger side dashboard, very close to the windshield, then turn the light to "auto". Works very well.

Return to “Enhancement / Change Requests”