Newbie question on 110v charging

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
planet4ever said:
The list price is (or at least was) $671 :!: I thought you could get them from http://www.everythingnissan.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for "only" $508, but I can't find any LEAF accessories there now. If you are going to put out that kind of money I recommend spending $800 for one that has been upgraded so it can be used on either 120v or 240v: evseupgrade.com. That way you can plug in to electrical dryer outlets, 240v outlets at RV campgrounds, etc. and still use it anywhere you can find a normal electrical plug.

Ray
Thanks for the info. The reason I asked is that someone in another thread threw out an off-hand "$199" price and it didn't seem to make sense given what Ingineer charges for an upgraded cord.

My plan was to use an upgraded cord at home and carry a stock cord in the car. I don't really need the speed of a 240V charge at home but I do need the ability to preheat the car, hence my interest in the upgrade. And getting a local electrician to install a 240V outlet next to the breaker panel in my garage would be trivial (240V dryer outlets aren't located in garages here in snow country so all my current outlets are 120V 15A).

Kind of off topic, but I had never thought of RV parks as charging locations. I wonder if
one could plan a road trip based on RV parks about 70 miles apart? LEAF, tent, backpack
stove.... :cool:

planet4ever said:
The list price is (or at least was) $671 :!: I thought you could get them from http://www.everythingnissan.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for "only" $508, but I can't find any LEAF accessories there now. If you are going to put out that kind of money I recommend spending $800 for one that has been upgraded so it can be used on either 120v or 240v: evseupgrade.com. That way you can plug in to electrical dryer outlets, 240v outlets at RV campgrounds, etc. and still use it anywhere you can find a normal electrical plug.

Ray
The Nissan/Panasonic EVSE does still seem to be available from everythingnissan.com, just search for part 296M13NA0A. But the minimum shipping charge is $52 so the total price is about $560. Still cheaper to just buy an already modified one from Phil and a lot less hassle!

dgpcolorado said:
The Nissan/Panasonic EVSE does still seem to be available from everythingnissan.com, just search for part 296M13NA0A. But the minimum shipping charge is $52 so the total price is about $560. Still cheaper to just buy an already modified one from Phil and a lot less hassle!
You can get an original one for cheaper at parts.com for $468. Don't know what shipping is. It says MSRP is $625, not $671 like mention in a previous post by someone. Phil was the one who pointed this out in one of his posts a while back. Just look for package-evse (or just evse) under Nissan.

Also, to clarify, it's not just a "cord" but it's the whole EVSE that come with cords on the 2 ends. If you only want a stock EVSE, then $468 from parts.com is probably the cheapest you can find.

Volusiano said:
dgpcolorado said:
You can get an original one for cheaper at parts.com for $468. Don't know what shipping is. It says MSRP is $625, not $671 like mention in a previous post by someone. Phil was the one who pointed this out in one of his posts a while back. Just look for package-evse (or just evse) under Nissan.

Also, to clarify, it's not just a "cord" but it's the whole EVSE that come with cords on the 2 ends. If you only want a stock EVSE, then $468 from parts.com is probably the cheapest you can find.

Shipping is adjusted at ship day to about $30 or less. EVSE upgrade has new units in stock to ship now.

Volusiano said:

Thanks. FWIW, ground shipping and handling to my zip is $72.16, which makes the total $539.88. I get the impression that the shipping charge is a major profit center for the on-line parts outfits.

EVDRIVER said:
Shipping is adjusted at ship day to about $30 or less. EVSE upgrade has new units in stock to ship now.
Makes it hard to comparison shop if shipping can't be determined in advance!

Just buying an already modified unit from EVSE upgrade would be the simplest approach, and likely easier for Phil as well.

For those using the 110V charger solely, are you guys unplugging it after every charge? or do you guys just leave it plugged into the wall? Not sure what is best in terms of reliability of the part.

I charge outside, but would rather not unplug it every day.

azrael1234 said:
For those using the 110V charger solely, are you guys unplugging it after every charge? or do you guys just leave it plugged into the wall? Not sure what is best in terms of reliability of the part.

I charge outside, but would rather not unplug it every day.
Prior to getting my Schneider L2 EVSE, I charged with the Nissan OEM EVSE for three months, leaving it plugged in the whole time. I had no problems, but obviously I don't know if there are negative long-term effects to leaving it plugged in.

(P.S. it's 120V not 110V, and it's not a charger, just an EVSE. I thought I would bring these points up before the "Not-A-Charger" police rip you a new one. :D )

Back