MY12 orders from Jul 25 in Tier 2, open to public on Aug 4

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evnow

http://nissannews.com/newsrelease.do;jsessionid=96980FC074C25D2CF66D87C8B0E09323?&id=2682&allImage=1&teaser=nissan-launch-all-electric-leaf-upgraded-2012-model&mid=1

NISSAN TO LAUNCH ALL-ELECTRIC LEAF AS UPGRADED 2012 MODEL IN NEW U.S. MARKETS

Nissan North America Inc. is expanding availability of the all-electric Nissan LEAF to U.S. consumers for the 2012 model year, with upgrades based on feedback from the thousands of owners who already have driven several millions of miles in the first 100-percent electric car for the mass market.

The Nissan LEAF, enriched with additional standard equipment including quick charging and cold-weather features for the 2012 model year, now will be available for order in the Southeastern United States and Illinois.

“Many enthusiastic consumers have eagerly anticipated ordering a Nissan LEAF of their own, and now we can make zero-emissions mobility a reality in more markets,” said Brian Carolin, senior vice president, Sales and Marketing, Nissan North America. “In response to direct feedback from Nissan LEAF owners, the features that customers want most will come standard on the 2012 Nissan LEAF – including quick charging and cold-weather features.”

Nissan on July 25 will open up the ordering process to consumers with existing reservations in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Maryland, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia and Washington, D.C.

After the prioritized ordering phase for existing reservations in those markets, Nissan on Aug. 4 will open new reservations and orders to the general public, both in these new markets, as well as places where the Nissan LEAF already has been on sale (Arizona, California, Hawaii, Oregon, Tennessee, Texas, and Washington). Expected delivery of the first 2012 Nissan LEAFs will begin in the fall.
Nissan will expand into additional new markets as the year continues. In the fall, orders from existing reservations and new reservations will begin in Connecticut, Colorado, Massachusetts, New Jersey and New York. By the end of the year, Delaware, Indiana, Louisiana, Nevada, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Rhode Island will be added as markets where the Nissan LEAF will be available for order.

I'll start a separate thread on new prices.

I'm a little surprised by the speed at which they will open other orders.

But as I wrote in another post - Nissan will finish off the existing orders in 2 months. They need to find more orders - and at a good clip.

I expect Leafs to be available from order to delivery in 2 months or less by the end of this year.

Nicely spotted EVNow. Wish I had time to watch my twitter feed today but when you glance at 130 new tweets you get intimidated. None the less, I have a copy of the letter Tier 2 folks should be receiving on my blog but it needs to be updated with your information from the Press Release:

Nay Sayers! Eat This! Order You LEAF Next week!

So, most of the country that can order Focus EV can also order Leaf by the year-end - assuming Focus EV is not getting delayed.

How long until all 50 states can order a Leaf ?

Will this happen by year end ?

KJD

Looks to be as I suspected for some time. Holding a $99 reservation in a Tier 2 state for over a year buys one something less than two weeks in the ordering process. And at a substantial price increase over the price which was quoted when the reservation was made. I wonder what my $99 will get me by the time ordering comes to PA?

I'm not trying to bash Nissan, just saying that the reservation process seems to be more of a marketing tool for them. They got far more benefit from the $99 than we ever will. OTOH, it was only $99, so not much of an "investment" on our parts.

tps said:
I'm not trying to bash Nissan, just saying that the reservation process seems to be more of a marketing tool for them. They got far more benefit from the $99 than we ever will. OTOH, it was only $99, so not much of an "investment" on our parts.
What we don't know is the original Nissan plan for rollout. Clearly they intended to have the Tier 2 order just after Tier 1 last December. Something changed that - we won't know what until someone writes a book about it in a few years.

tps said:
Looks to be as I suspected for some time. Holding a $99 reservation in a Tier 2 state for over a year buys one something less than two weeks in the ordering process. And at a substantial price increase over the price which was quoted when the reservation was made. I wonder what my $99 will get me by the time ordering comes to PA?

It is really disappointing. Hold a reservation for a long time, hang on through thick and thin, and in the end it seems it makes a vanishingly small difference. If-as-when you get a Leaf, you'll be just one among many, and no assurance that deliveries will be in the same sequence as orders, and in fact it seems virtually certain they will not be.

Well, on the other side, Nissan never actually promised us anything more. We were just too hopeful.

The good part is that now there is no need to rush in and order quickly. One can find out prices, visit dealers, and take whatever time is needed to do a systematic and careful evaluation, with little or no downside to delay :D

Any news on the public getting an invitation to reserve?

as in startting August 4th reservations open to the public august 4th?

I signed up my mom for a car recently and I am hoping to secure a reservation for her some time soon!

I had not reserved before and finally got the option to reserve today. Never got an email of course, even though I have been signed up for notification since February.

that's why I bypassed my local dealer who had failed to become
certified. They thought that the certification would come by Monday....
still not certified..... now the unwashed millions are ordering and those
of us who really made the effort can just join the que..... :D

hodad66 said:
now the unwashed millions are ordering and those
of us who really made the effort can just join the que..... :D
As Linda Ellerbee would say: "And so it goes..."

Hopefully it is not millions and they'll push the schedule up a bit to keep a steady flow of orders in the pipeline so we get to order soon.

I had registered my mom for a Leaf here in Va about 2 weeks ago

I logged into her account last night and noticed she is able to "complete payment" to reserve a car

that would be foloowed by an RAQ I am guessing.

so while she did not get an email invitation to reserve, her dash is open for reservation now

previously it said "reservation are closed for now"

seems like the flood gates are opening on order invitations

My guess is the lack of dealer understanding of the order process in wave 2 areas is masking demand...... in other words Nissan prob is getting a very small # of confirmed orders in all the new market states, mostly because customers and dealers cnat figure there way thru the process, and some because it s a lot of money and times are tough.

kmp647 said:

I logged into her account last night and noticed she is able to "complete payment" to reserve a car

so while she did not get an email invitation to reserve, her dash is open for reservation now

previously it said "reservation are closed for now"

seems like the flood gates are opening on order invitations

My guess is the lack of dealer understanding of the order process in wave 2 areas is masking demand...... in other words Nissan prob is getting a very small # of confirmed orders in all the new market states, mostly because customers and dealers cnat figure there way thru the process, and some because it s a lot of money and times are tough.

Yes, Nissan tweeted about the orders re-opening this morning and I also blogged and tweeted it last night. Also, as a Virginian not near Loudoun County you may still be interested in my latest blog post Kevin:

http://aecn.timehorse.com/

kmp647 said:

Any progress with your mom? Someone here in GA appears stuck at assessment, but I was wondering if the RAQ is coming as quickly for new reservations in Tier2 as it seemed for Tier 1.

Skip the assessment. Call Nissan and have them waive it. You can charge on L1 until you decide what wall charger is best for your particular situation. Some people go with AV, but there are a lot more choices now. My point is not to wait for the RAQ simply to get the home assessment.

Back