Charging Station and LEED Platinum Certification - Need Info

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vlad92

I'm looking for suggestions... my company is breaking ground on a new 12 story office building to be completed in 2012. They are attempting to earn what is known as a Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design, or “LEED,” Platinum Certification, awarded to buildings that comply with some of the nation’s most stringent sustainable “green building” practices. If successful, we would become just the second Platinum-certified building in the State of Nebraska so it's a big deal for the firm.

I was going to propose they consider adding charging stations in the parking lot (not just for my Leaf, but others as well). Can anyone point me in the right direction so I can include the information when I send it to the steering committee? I'm looking for general information for the execs as well as where we would start if my company wanted to go down this path.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Checkout Coulomb and Clipper Creek websites. Probably contact them to see what they would need from you.

http://www.coulombtech.com/products-charging-stations.php

http://www.clippercreek.net/ClipperCreek%20Products%20v05.htm

OP is not asking about LEED. He is asking about info on adding chargers to the building.

I was going to propose they consider adding charging stations in the parking lot (not just for my Leaf, but others as well). Can anyone point me in the right direction so I can include the information when I send it to the steering committee? I'm looking for general information for the execs as well as where we would start if my company wanted to go down this path.

garygid said:
Did you try to Google
LEED certification

Seems like a lot of info there.

Sorry for not being clear... I'm not looking for info on LEED. I'm looking for info on charging station vendors, configurations, and so on. I'd like to have suggetions and information in-hand when I bring this up so our Corporate Facilities group so they have a direction on where to start.

Sorry I did not sufficiently understand.

I thought you wanted the EV charging facilities done in such a way
that they would facilitate getting the desired LEED rating ... not just info on getting "chargers" (or "charging stations") installed.

Biggest questions affecting strategy:
1. who will pay for the Level 2 EVSE (charge stations, not "chargers") or the Level 3 "Quick-Chargers"
2. who will pay for maintaining them
3. who will pay for the operating costs (mostly electricity)
4. will they be "public", or restricted-access (like require an activation card or key, a subscription, being an employee or "visitor", etc.).

Depending upon these fundamental choices, you will probably have some different "constraints" and "options".

Whatever specifics you find will be of interest to some folks here.

Not likely to be of interest to most of our group unless their business is operating commercial buildings. For us private users, an EVSE is a liability. The OP will likely want the EVSE installation to be structured as an asset that either directly or indirectly contributes to the profitability of the building. Apples and oranges.

garygid said:
Sorry I did not sufficiently understand.
Same here ... sorry. But it would behoove you to understand the LEED criteria, in particular, as just one example, restricting the charge spots to private-only use could affect the LEED credits to be earned. If your company is already (quoting you) "breaking ground" and "attempting to earn ... Platinum", then you might want to contact the architectural firm and converse with them about what the charging stations could contribute toward LEED credits.

garygid said:
Many of us (at least some) might want to provide helpful information to our "place of work" people. This might not apply to you, but there are others here.

Of course your right. Sorry.

How would you improve the cash flow of a commercial building?

My company jumped on the "green" bandwagon. They just built two new buildings (Salt Lake City and Mesa, AZ) that both attained "Silver" LEED certification.

I've been trying to talk them into installing EV charging for 8 years. Still slightly less than zero interest (that is to say they are not neutral but actually against the idea). I even offered to pay for the installation and charger (but not ongoing maintenance or electricity).

Cash flow for a commercial building:
Occupancy times rental rate, minus expences ... right?

Of course, capital asset value is different.

So adding charging spots will cost more, but might bring in more tenants.

For a one-tenant building, built by or for the tenant, the charge spots are an additional expence, but might attract better employees, and even customers.

Cash flow for a commercial building ... parking is an important cash generator. Infact in PSRC meetings they want to make the regulations flexible so that they don't lose any of the prime parking spots. Ability to charge a little more would interest them.

Thank you everyone for the input!

I reviewed with our Managing Director of Corporate Real-estate and he was very interested. It will be considered by the team with recommendations brought to the Steering Committee. Hope it works out! Thanks again!

Vlad92 said:

I reviewed with our Managing Director of Corporate Real-estate and he was very interested. It will be considered by the team with recommendations brought to the Steering Committee. Hope it works out! Thanks again!

I sent you a PM a while back- FYI

Vlad92 said:

Nice job, Vlad! I hope you come thru the process with a very successful development!

Back