Charging stations in need of upgrades in greater Los Angeles

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kataphn

I thought I would start this thread so we can post our general efforts in getting legacy charging stations upgraded in the greater LA area and ask each other for help. Here is my offering: where I went, what I saw, what I did, and what you can do.
Where: We went to a performance of Iris at the Kodak Theatre at Hollywood and Highland.
What I saw: 2 side by side legacy small paddle stations in the underground parking. They were marked at the head of each space with a "EV only, others will be towed" sign. No markings on the cement.
What I did: I talked with the assistant manager of the parking Diana Montalvo of New South Parking ([email protected]). I explained that the stations needed to be upgraded to the J1772 standard (I explained the whole thing). She stated that the city of Los Angeles owns the parking structure and for me to email her with my request and she would forward the request on. So I did email her. I also found out it was Eric Garcett's city council district and I emailed him as well at [email protected]

What you can do: email Diana and Eric and let them know these stations need to be updated.

Kat

Kataphn,
I have 3 files with info on the Clipper Creek EVSEs and the associated forms to have heritage units replaced free. If I email them to you, perhaps you could save and post links and this thread.

EXCELLENT idea and work ... thanks for that !

In addition I suggest you go to EVChargerNews (and/or EVChargerMaps) -- (KodakTheater) -- and report about your (unsuccessful) visit with "Add Comment" button. Maybe something like: "Would love to charge my LEAF here, but only found 2xSPI. Visit this place often for its [list of amenities] ..." These comments may increase chances of converting at least one of the SPIs to J1772. If the existing site had Avcon, they are probably already on the upgrade list.

The reason I am making this suggestion is that the EVCN/EVCM administrators use the comments to be alerted to popular destinations. And combined with your efforts to get the real-estate/station-owners involved it may grease the wheels for a faster response in handling the (agonizing) paperwork process.

The more of us that do these kind of (recently dated) requests ... the higher the chances that the "squeaky" wheel gets (upgrade) grease :)

Again, thanks for what you are doing already ! :p

So I'm a little confused....Does this contract provide funding for upgrading these type of chargers?

http://www.green-energy-news.com/nwslnks/clips810/aug10013.html

And if it does, don't they already have a list of what's out there?

Or is it only certain types that will be upgraded?

Yes, it is confusing. I don't have the inside track to a precise answer, only general info from what I have heard thru the grapevine.

Yes, of course they have a list of existing sites that are already out there ... but here's my general knowledge:

The Avcons are conductive and are highest priority. The SPI's are inductive and needed by existing (old) Toyota Rav4-EVs. The total funds may limit the stations that will be upgraded, with (obviously) popular locations getting higher priority. If a site has only SPI, but more than one, there's a possibility that all but one could be replaced with a (conductive) J1772, but that's lower priority -- unless the site is a popular spot, in which case it may rise on the priority list ... at least that's my guess. The entire project is somewhat handi-capped (causing delays) by administrative stuff, like site agreement paperwork, ownership questions, maintenance responsibility, liability, etc.

That's about as much as I know ... hopefully it helps and doesn't add confusion :)

LEAFer said:
Yes, it is confusing. I don't have the inside track to a precise answer, only general info from what I have heard thru the grapevine.

... Snip...

That's about as much as I know ... hopefully it helps and doesn't add confusion :)
Ditto for myself! I've contacted a program guru through a RAV4-EV board and will post his responses here, hopefully next week. ;)

Back