Can the Leaf solar panel be upgraded with a custom panel?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mxp

Are there any possibilities:
A MNL user "mogur" in a separate thread measured measured the Leaf's solar panel and it was rated about 4 to 5 watts in direct, full sun. Can this inferior panel be upgraded to something more newer and outputs more?

I am also curious if the roof of Leaf SV has a cut-out for the panel or does it not?

Thanks!

mxp said:
A MNL user "mogur" in a separate thread measured measured the Leaf's solar panel and it was rated about 4 to 5 watts in direct, full sun. Can this inferior panel be upgraded to something more newer and outputs more?

I am also curious if the roof of Leaf SV has a cut-out for the panel or does it not?

Thanks!

The panel isn't mounted into the roof...it's in the spoiler. So (assuming the wiring is there in all models) all you would need to do is get a spoiler from a SL. The cutout isn't in the SV spoiler.

The ROI simply would not be there for such a change...

mxp said:

mxp said:

Thanks!
If I was to upgrade the panel, what I would do is build a mount for a full size panel to go on the roof of the car and then run a wire to the spoiler location where the existing panel is and plug in there. According to the service manual, the solar panel is currently connected via a 10 amp fuse, so you do have plenty of room (note that you'll still need a power diode for what ever panel you add).

You have to keep in mind though that the only thing you're affecting is the on-board 12 volt lead-acid battery, so I'm not sure what you would get out of this unless maybe you had an additional SLA battery in the back for a ham radio or something... :D

DarkStar said:
mxp said:

Thanks!
If I was to upgrade the panel, what I would do is build a mount for a full size panel to go on the roof of the car and then run a wire to the spoiler location where the existing panel is and plug in there. According to the service manual, the solar panel is currently connected via a 10 amp fuse, so you do have plenty of room (note that you'll still need a power diode for what ever panel you add).

You have to keep in mind though that the only thing you're affecting is the on-board 12 volt lead-acid battery, so I'm not sure what you would get out of this unless maybe you had an additional SLA battery in the back for a ham radio or something... :D

Thanks to all who chimed in. For a brief moment, I thought there might be a practical possibility..... Oh well... ;-)

I wish there was a option where solar panels on top of the car would increase KWH..I just bought $500 worth of advanced HO solar lights that put out amazing light at night..Each light has about a 9 sq inch cell on top..

Im thinking that Nissan will have to add something new to the Leaf in a few years and it will total solar package that will add 30 miles per charge to the car..

The physics simply don't work. At high noon, in a good location, you get about 1000 watts per square meter of sun energy. A typical PV in this kind of application is about 20 percent efficient. Do the math and you see that there is simply not enough surface area to generate enough power to be practical.

mark13 said:
I wish there was a option where solar panels on top of the car would increase KWH..I just bought $500 worth of advanced HO solar lights that put out amazing light at night..Each light has about a 9 sq inch cell on top..

Im thinking that Nissan will have to add something new to the Leaf in a few years and it will total solar package that will add 30 miles per charge to the car..

Look into putting PV panels on your house, garage, carport, awning, etc. I recommend grid-tied so you don't have to worry about batteries and "range anxiety" for your house. If you can't afford a grid tied system you can put in a 12v system to power garden lighting, security lights, ventilation fans and other low power devices.

In the heat (not so much this summer!) of the central CA valley it would be great to have a PV panel on every vehicle roof or trunk that would run the air circulating fan while the car was sitting in the sun. Would take some engineering, but would be easy for a car mfg. to build into the dashboard or sunroof.

I would agree accept there is a sector of "power consumers", like myself who will pay a premium to support renewable technology because it helps the industries reach the magic economy of scale sooner and because it feels good. I would pay several grand to replace the hood and top of the car with solar panels if i could tap into the main drive batteries. I find this sort of thing more fun than lowering the suspension for example, and surely more effective for me than taking anti depressants! :D
G

mogur said:
The physics simply don't work. At high noon, in a good location, you get about 1000 watts per square meter of sun energy. A typical PV in this kind of application is about 20 percent efficient. Do the math and you see that there is simply not enough surface area to generate enough power to be practical.

mark13 said:

What thermostats???

bakerstone1 said:
I also have a concern about the thermostats in the new Leaf. I am sure that they will be tested by some of the most respected people around, but it needs to be a really high quality item. I want it to be renewable energy, but I don't want to give up much comfort either.

Back