South San Jose to Santa Cruz and back on a single charge

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SparkyEV

We did South San Jose to Santa Cruz (Seaside & Bay) and back today over highway 17 (1800 feet elevation at the summit) with no problem. We started with 100% charge and got back home with 3 bars and 24 miles remaining range. Total distance covered was 72.8 miles. We trickle charged (L1) at our destination for a few hours which gave us 1 bar back, but we got there with 7 bars bars remaining so we could have made it home without it. Route was highways 85 & 17 and speed was 55-60, dropping to 50 on the section of 17 where the speed limit is 50. A/C was on for the trip over and off for the trip back. We had 2 adults and one 18-month old on board.

We averaged 5.0 miles/kWh on the way over and 4.6 on the way back (per the dash). I reset at the summit on the way over just to see the difference. We got 3.0 miles/kWh on the way up and 8.0 on the way down. Remaining range at the summit was only 34 miles (we still had 51 miles to go to get to our destination and back home!), but by the time we reached Santa Cruz it had climbed to 64. We didn't lose any bars on the way down, but we didn't get any back either despite lots of regen.

I noticed that the dash miles/kWh pegged at 8.0 on the way down the hill to Santa Cruz, but the center console miles/kWh was 18.2 (both were reset at the summit). When I combine the uphill segment with the downhill segment, weighted by the distance of each leg, I get (22.1/36.9)*3.1+(14.8/36.9)*18.2=9.2 using the center console numbers, but (22.1/36.9)*3.0+(14.8/36.9)*8.0=5.0 using the dash numbers. 5.0 seems closer to reality and more in line with my 4.6 number coming home (I didn't reset at the summit on the way back), but the 8.0 number seems low considering that it held at 8.0 for a while despite the fact that the downhill leg was mostly regen. Something funky going on there.

Here's the elevation profile:

SparkyEV said:
We did South San Jose to Santa Cruz (Seaside & Bay) and back today over highway 17 (1800 feet elevation at the summit) with no problem. We didn't lose any bars on the way down, but we didn't get any back either despite lots of regen.

I noticed that the dash miles/kWh pegged at 8.0 on the way down the hill to Santa Cruz, but the center console miles/kWh was 18.2 (both were reset at the summit).
Thanks for the review of the trip.

I have been able to get 99.9 KWm on the center console for many miles, much like the 99MPG reading in my ICE if I reset it while coasting downhill at freeway speeds. I recently drove up Mt Wilson (Above 4000 feet) near my home until I had 2 bars remaining (Single digit range), and then turned around, resetting the center meter. I got home (1500 feet) still reading 99.9 (Unlike the ICE, which drops quickly.), even with a bit of uphill (Guess 500 feet) and freeway speeds to get home. I did gain a bar through regen on the down grade, so I ended up with three at home (About 30 miles range meter). It is all a matter of how you drive, and what energy you expend to get there. Looking at carwings should be over 100mkw on the way down, but I didn't turn the car off so it will show up as 1 trip. I believe the max reading is 99.9 on the center, and 8 on the dash, but I have seen 106 mkw on carwings. This trip hasn't showed up yet so we will see, I expect the average to be around 4, since I started with about a half charge and took it easy on the upgrade, never using more than 20kw to maintain a 34 mph speed.

That's good to know Sparky. Thanks for the info. That's one of my favorite day trip when I was living in SJ. I'll forward this to my bro who's thinking about getting the LEAF but worries about range for that type of weekend excursion.

BTW, how did you get that elevation profile?

Caracalover said:
I believe the max reading is 99.9 on the center, and 8 on the dash

Interesting! It's hard to believe that I really did get 9.2 miles/kWh on the trip there though, but maybe regen has a bigger effect than I thought. One thing that I didn't mention is that on the way down the hill on the return trip one of the lanes was closed due to construction and traffic was backed up, so I didn't get nearly as much regen on the way home as I did on the way there. I'll have to collect some more data...

occ said:
BTW, how did you get that elevation profile?

That's from Google Earth. You can enter a route, then right-click on the 'route' entry in the left-hand side of the window and select 'Show Elevation Profile.' Very handy!

Another thanks to Sparky for posting this. I'm looking at the same thing. Round trip would be 66 miles for me, plus side trips. I was fairly confident there'd be no issues, but, glad to know that others have ventured before me.

Just made my first trip over the hill and back. I live near down-town San Jose (87/280 interchange). Took surface streets down Cambrien area to pick up a friend and then the 4 of us headed to Santa Cruz (16th/Capitola). 69 miles round trip w/ 4.4 miles/kW. No charging in between. No HVAC. Had 18 miles on the GOM and 2 bars of charge left.

Kept the speed to 60, or as posted when less. Used the cruise control all the way up and down and generally utilized very little "hypermiling" techniques.

Easy peazy to get there and back!

I do that trip all the time, though I'm a little closer (85/camden, though I work downtown right near you - look for the black Leaf with the Toothless dragon vinyl on the side!). It's easy to go over and back without really worrying about it.

Two tips, if you're running low or need side trips: 1. The charger at Zero Motorcycles in scotts' valley is very often unused. 2. right downtown SC by the theaters are three chargepoints in one lot and there's almost always one unused. Great to stop there, get some amazing edamame and wings from Hulas while you charge, then drive home.

I regularly do the 9-thru-Saratoga / Big Basin Redwoods / Felton / Santa Cruz / Home-via-17 loop. Driving through the redwoods in a super-silent leaf is a special joy. Side bonus: I've done it enough (as have other Leafers, according to the park rangers there) that they may finally give us an outlet to charge with there in Big Basin.

I just came across this thread because in two weeks the wife and dog and I are planning to go to Santa Cruz for the night. Coming from Walnut Creek I'm contemplating the trip with the LEAF like this:

-Start with 100% charge in WC
-WC to Stanford Shopping Center QC: ~55mi
-QC to 100% over lunch
-Stanford Shopping Center to Santa Cruz: ~50mi
-L1 at our destination overnight to 100%
-Same trip in reverse going home

I'd even consider doing 80% from WC to Stanford but 100% would give us a shorter charge time while at Stanford. What I'm more worried about is the 50 miles from Stanford to Santa Cruz up and over highway 17. I know you went there and back on a 100% charge from a closer location so I assume I'll be fine, but still it worries me a little especially if it is warm out and I need to use the AC... but I guess it's a pass on the way to the beach so chances are it'll be mild. Thoughts?

There's not much to worry about a 1-way trip from Stanford to Santa Cruz, unless you like to drive 80 MPH :lol:

With just an 80% charge at Standford, you only need to average ~3.1 M/KW.

If you roll the speed limit, you should be fine.

foobert said:
There's not much to worry about a 1-way trip from Stanford to Santa Cruz, unless you like to drive 80 MPH :lol:

With just an 80% charge at Standford, you only need to average ~3.1 M/KW.

If you roll the speed limit, you should be fine.

Thanks for the feedback. That kind of news gives me hope. I tend to be a very frugal freeway driver when driving the LEAF so I'm sure I can make it work.

Eric,

There is a QC charger at bishop ranch. Which is just down the road from walnut creek on the way to santacruz.

I used it 6/24, left side. Way cool, 20 minutes, from 40% to 80%.
Almost not enough time to get bored.

I did find it sad I wanted to sit in the car and listen to the radio and couldn't.

weylan said:
There is a QC charger at bishop ranch...

Weylan- I have used this QC before about 3 weeks ago and the right side was down for me also.

As of now, all Blink QCs are off the BlinkMap for whatever reason. Interesting that you used it successfully during this outage.

There's a thread about Bay Area QCs over here that you should post your experience at.

At this point our Santa Cruz trip looks to be a day trip instead of an overnight. That, in conjunction with the Blink QCs being unreliable (off the map), we're going to be taking our ICE. Good thing gas prices are down ;)

weylan said:
There is a QC charger at bishop ranch. Which is just down the road from walnut creek on the way to santacruz.

I used it 6/24, left side. Way cool, 20 minutes, from 40% to 80%.
Almost not enough time to get bored.

I did find it sad I wanted to sit in the car and listen to the radio and couldn't.

Why not? After starting the QC, I get in the car, turn on the car, turn on the radio, turn on climate control, and sit in comfort for ~20 mins. The LEAF lets you turn on all the electronics while doing the QC, except it won't let you try to drive away.

Back