palmermd
Delivery Date: 31 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 1100011011

Re: L3 Charging ?

Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:02 pm

Don't take this personal, and I really have no beef with anything you posted on this thread or this site. In fact, you've done a fantastic job promoting the Leaf and EV's in general. Thank you for that, but in regards to your comment...

mwalsh wrote:Number one rule of journalism.....if you've got a scoop, run with it.

That is the number one thing I dislike about journalism. I can't tell you who scooped any big news events, pretty much ever. The only people who seem to care about scooping are the journalists themselves. I wish they could come up with some incentive to share information and only release when you have enough verified information before going to press. Not going to happen, so I guess we'll have to live with what we've got, but one can dream.
Michael

Leaf since 31 March 2011
Driving electric since 1996

First Bar Loss
Second Bar Loss
Third Bar Loss
Fourth Bar Loss

mwalsh
Delivery Date: 05 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0213

Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:16 pm

palmermd wrote:I wish they could come up with some incentive to share information and only release when you have enough verified information before going to press.

What's to verify? The scoop was that there was a L3 charger going in. Period. Nothing else was promised or inferred in my post except that more information would follow as soon as I reached out to Mitsubishi. It was others who started getting all freaky.
2011 Blue Ocean SL with 75,000 miles.
2015 pack under warranty 12/30/15.
Tinted windows.
Bridgestone Ecopia 422+ tires.
L1 EVSE upgrade.
FIAMM horns.
Superbright LED lighting.
2013 sun visors.
LED shifter.
Heated seats.
GT-R map lamp lenses.
AV L2 EVSE.

palmermd
Delivery Date: 31 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 1100011011

Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:43 pm

mwalsh wrote:
palmermd wrote:I wish they could come up with some incentive to share information and only release when you have enough verified information before going to press.

What's to verify? The scoop was that there was a L3 charger going in. Period. Nothing else was promised or inferred in my post except that more information would follow as soon as I reached out to Mitsubishi. It was others who started getting all freaky.

like I said, my comment had nothing to do with you or your post, but rather a general comment about journalists who think that it is important to "scoop" everyone else. Sorry about straying off topic.

Now when the heck am I going to be able to put some electrons through the $700 plastic hood ornament that I purchased?
Michael

Leaf since 31 March 2011
Driving electric since 1996

First Bar Loss
Second Bar Loss
Third Bar Loss
Fourth Bar Loss

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

L3 charging between LA and Bay Area

Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:08 pm

Agree w/garygid's strong suggestions. Starting a war w/Mitsubishi and/or their owners is a bad idea. That'd give them ammo to restrict/not allow competitor's vehicles from using their station.
Boomer23 wrote:The same goes for placing a few QC stations between LA and the Bay Area, at perhaps 60 mile increments along I5 or SR 101. There is a much greater need for these before the 100 or so QC stations within the Bay Area and SD.

(I'm from the SF Bay Area and am moving back there in ~2 weeks. I've driven between LA and San Jose a bunch of times, once back on 101.)
I think I-5 would be a lot more useful since I suspect most people take that route instead of the slower (and more dangerous route) of 101. I agree it would be nice to have what you propose but I do question how many people will actually want to use a pure EV (at least w/the Leaf's current range) for the trip and add so much time to the journey.

Google Maps says SJ ->LA is 340 miles, taking 5 hours, 45 mins. Needing to stop 5 times to L3 charge adds at least 2.5 hours to the trip, assuming the station isn't in use already and operational. There isn't a whole lot to see and do on I-5 between the Bay Area and LA. Much of it is the middle of nowhere.

Also, there'd need to be points before (or after?) certain strategic points like the hilly portions of highway 152 (near the San Luis Reservoir) and the Grapevine area.

It would REALLY suck to encounter one that's out of order and not have enough juice left to reach the next one.
Last edited by cwerdna on Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

garygid
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 29 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000855

Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:18 pm

1. AND, not have enough juice to reach the Previous one either. What a "pile" of LEAFs that would be!

2. I think Mike did a good, accurate job of letting us know about a big event.

The event, apparently on the 9th, might be by invitation only, so Please do not assume that it is OK to "show up", at least until we learn more.

But, after our Gathering in Cerritos, IF we are invited, and IF the timing works out (the event might be early morning, to be much cooler), THEN we could go, parking a WHOLE "Branch" of LEAFs ... probably across the street to the East of the main parking lot.

IF it happens, should we make a long banner, something like:
"Go, Mitsubishi, Charge!" (or some such)? :D
See SOC/GID-Meter and CAN-Do Info
2011 LEAF, sold in 2015
2010 Prius, 2014 silver Tesla S
Nissan EVSE, mod to 240/120v 16A
PU: SDG&E
Solar PV: 33 x 225W -> 7 kW max AC
To Sell: X-treme 5000Li EV motorcycle

tps
Delivery Date: 07 Feb 2012
Leaf Number: 18044

Re: L3 charging between LA and Bay Area

Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:35 pm

cwerdna wrote:It would REALLY suck to encounter one that's out of order and not have enough juice left to reach the next one.

I guess it would be the same as reaching a filling station in an ICE car, finding it out of order, with not enough gas to reach the next one. :) Just goes to show how woefully inadequate our EV charging infrastructure currently is.

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:16 pm

tps wrote:
cwerdna wrote:It would REALLY suck to encounter one that's out of order and not have enough juice left to reach the next one.

I guess it would be the same as reaching a filling station in an ICE car, finding it out of order, with not enough gas to reach the next one. :) Just goes to show how woefully inadequate our EV charging infrastructure currently is.

True, but ICE cars also typically have MUCH longer ranges than 62-138 miles on a tank and don't take 30 minutes or more to fill. Some publications, prior to the Leaf shipping (it might've been Edmunds) equated EVs to virtually running on empty the whole time.

Edmunds had a Mini E in their long term test fleet and sometimes posted about the range anxiety stories. The Mini E didn't have anything like Carwings to help w/you finding charging stations.

'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

TurboFroggy
Delivery Date: 21 Jun 2011
Leaf Number: 2398

Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:37 pm

Check it out, I turned Boomer23's pic into a LOL...

http://cheezburger.com/View/4933424384

:mrgreen:

Awesomb....
Reserved 4/25/2010 - Ordered 12/2010 - picked up 6/21/2011
6.88KW Grid-Tie Solar
2013 Tesla Model S P85, Reserved 11/10/2012 picked up 3/8/2013.
2011 Nissan Leaf
2000 Ford Ranger EV NiMH (SOLD)
2 Ton Geothermal
Zero Energy Bills

planet4ever
Delivery Date: 02 May 2011
Leaf Number: 1537

Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:40 pm

cwerdna wrote:I think I-5 would be a lot more useful since I suspect most people take that route instead of the slower (and more dangerous route) of 101.
<snip>
There isn't a whole lot to see and do on I-5 between the Bay Area and LA. Much of it is the middle of nowhere.

Which is why I would say, "Neither of the above." The idiots back in Washington didn't seem to understand anything about California when they drew up the interstate system. They built I-5 out in the west side alkali flats where no one lived and little could grow except cotton. Then they downgraded the main artery through the Central Valley from US 99 to CA 99. All of the cities, most of the places to eat and sleep, and nearly all of the interesting places to visit or relax are on 99. It is still a freeway and still the lifeline through much of the 450 mile long Great Valley.

Oh, forgot to mention, not quite true from San Jose, but from San Francisco or anywhere north of 580, it's only 25 miles and half an hour longer to the LA area by 99 than by I-5. So put the DC chargers where they will do the most good for everyone, on 99. If you are one of the half million people living in Fresno, wanting to go to Bakersfield or Stockton, chargers on I-5 are useless. Of course if you live in Kettleman City (pop. 1400) that's a different matter.

Ray
End of April 2013: Traded my 2011 SL for a 2013 S with charge pkg.

KeiJidosha
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2011

Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:59 pm

cwerdna wrote:True, but ICE cars also typically have MUCH longer ranges than 62-138 miles on a tank and don't take 30 minutes or more to fill. Some publications, prior to the Leaf shipping (it might've been Edmunds) equated EVs to virtually running on empty the whole time.

Edmunds had a Mini E in their long term test fleet and sometimes posted about the range anxiety stories. The Mini E didn't have anything like Carwings to help w/you finding charging stations.

MINI E did not have Quick Charge or J1772 capability either. If it had, 32 amp J1772 provides up to 30 miles/hour charging. A 70 amp Tesla J1772 would provide almost 50 miles/hour charging. Because of the lack of a plug standard and infrastructure, BMW discouraged opportunity charging, exacerbating range anxiety by limiting options.

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”