The SOC-Meter system generally uses:
1. A connection to the LEAF's EV-CAN buss, most conveniently through the LEAF's OBD connector. A 6-foot (or 9-foot) OBD cable with 16-wires (one wire to each OBD connector pin) is about $13.
2. One female 9-pin "D" connector, soldered to (the correct) wires from item #1.
3. The AVR-CAN (about $55), with suitable firmware "flashed" into its uP.
4. A supported display (perhaps $10 to $20) to see the SOC value. Connection varies from 3 wires (for a UART-serial LED display) to a short ribbon cable and 34-pin connector (about 11 wires connected) to allow the AVR-CAN to control the display.
5. On LCD displays, usually three wires and a "pot" to control the display contrast.
6. A suitable housing, with holes for mounting the display, the pot (if used), an On/Off switch, and a possibly a grommet for the "OBD" cable entrance. Perhaps 4 rubber feet.
7. Possibly a couple of other parts to STOP the LEAF's charging when the SOC goes over a selected limit.
--------------------Parts and Sources used in our SOC-Meter Project Kit
Note 1. Always check stock before ordering.
Note 2: Sometimes Shipping and Handling charges can be substantial.
Note 3: Ordering in quantity for your Local LEAF Cluster or Branch might help.
1. 7-Segment Serial Display
: 4 character, 10mm high, about $13 each.
Very easy to interface, 3 wires: Control, 5v, and Ground.Yellow - COM-09764Blue - COM-09765Red - COM-09766Kelly Green - COM-09767
We are using primarily the Red and Blue units, but also a Yellow unit, but ordered all four types from this source.
2. One AVR-CAN Development Board
, 16 MHz by Olimex, about $55
In the Kit, this board is flashed with our last-release SOC-Meter firmware.Mouser Part Number: 909-AVR-CAN
Note: SparkFun no longer sells this item.SparkFun sku: DEV-08279
3. Project Box
: a 3.97" X 2.12" X 1.72" black ABS plastic project enclosure.All Electronics Cat# MB-132
, about $3
4. One OBD Cable
, 16-wire, male OBD connector
I suggest a 6-foot cable, right-angle OBD connectorOBD2cables Part number: 142601
6-foot (about $13)
PN 142602 (same as 142601 except a 9-foot cable)
orType B, OBD2cables PN 144507
5. Toggle Switches
The SOC-Meter has an option to use one or two switches (two suggested):
A. One On-Off-On SPDT mini toggle switch
for the Power On/Off/Automatic ModesAll Electronics Cat# MTS-5
B. One DPDT mini toggle switch
for the EV/CAR CAN-buss Selector Option (recommended)All Electronics Cat# MTS-12
6. Pushbutton Switches
: momentary on, normally open, miniature, panel mount
The SOC-Meter uses one Red pushbutton (top, left) and one Black pushbutton (top, right).Radio Shack 275-1547
This is a package of 4 for under $4, two with red caps, and 2 with black.
However, as of 23 Dec 2011, Radio Shack online is out of stock.
So, I have ordered similar, possibly even better push buttons at:All Electronics Cat# MPB-1B (Black cap)
andAll Electronics Cat# MPB-1 (Red cap)
7. Zener Diode
: one 5-volt 1-Watt zenerAll Electronics Cat# 1N4733
(or equivalent) 5 for $1
8. Connector Blocks
A. connects the Display to 3 of the EXT2 connector's pins.
B. connects the two Pushbuttons to 3 of the EXT2 connector's pins.A 1x6 Connector ShellA 2x4 Connector ShellWires with Female Pins
9. Misc Items
: Stranded Wire, heat-shrink tubing, electricians tape, "glue", ...
:Not included in the kit
: Tools: Soldering iron, wire cutter and stripper, drills and sharp hobby knife