Nuisances

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
12. Yes, the static will zap you, but I've come around to enjoy it in a strange way. It's become a parting handshake and expected. Yeah i know, and my friends do too..... :D :D :D

The only way I have found to do it is to turn off the AC button, turn the temp all the way down, and then use the mode control to adjust the fan speed to what I want. This insures that neither the AC nor the Heat will come on (theoretically)... Wouldn't a Fan-Only button have been nice...

rawhog said:
hey ya!! i am relatively fairly certainly sure that i did this once and that was blow fan only with no A/C and that indicated no climate control power being used. now that we are getting into Spring-like weather here (a few weeks before Summer...) i want that cool air blowing in but do not want to use A/C. but can not get it to blow forward w/o the A/C automatically coming on??

so how did i do it before? any thoughts?
[/quote]

planet4ever said:
I have never taken the fob out of my pocket, not once. Well, except when I change pants. The button thing should be no problem -- one beep = unlock, two beeps = lock.
Hmm, all I've ever heard is when I push the button on the car handle is a click or clunk, the same sound when locking or unlocking. The beep sounds when using the fob, which I don't do when my hands are full.

Nope, mine definitely beeps from the button on the outside door handle.

Rat said:
planet4ever said:
I have never taken the fob out of my pocket, not once. Well, except when I change pants. The button thing should be no problem -- one beep = unlock, two beeps = lock.
Hmm, all I've ever heard is when I push the button on the car handle is a click or clunk, the same sound when locking or unlocking. The beep sounds when using the fob, which I don't do when my hands are full.

rawhog said:
When I hit the fan speed button the A/C comes on. I then just hit the A/C button. Turns off A/C but keeps the fan fan running for "free-cooling mode).
Same here. It's quick and easy so I don't see this as an annoyance. When I exit the car with this arrangement (fan only) and later check on Carwings for range it shows only a 1 mi. difference with climate control on. Normally the difference is much greater. So it knows that as of that moment climate control consists only of the fan. It must have a memory of how much power draw the climate control was using when the car was turned off.

JohnnySebring said:
12. Yes, the static will zap you, but I've come around to enjoy it in a strange way. It's become a parting handshake and expected. Yeah i know, and my friends do too..... :D :D :D

It's early yet, but zero static with the Wet Okole seat covers. :mrgreen:

I think there's a bug with the climate control mode button.
If you cycle through the mode settings:
(mid-level -> mid/lower -> lower -> lower/defrost -> mid-level...)
When you switch to defrost, the AC comes on (as expected), but
when you cycle back to the mid level vents, the AC remains on.
Also, what's up with defrost+lower vent combo? Seems like a
weird combination.

You do have to be careful about where the temp is set though because if it is too high, the heat will come on whether or not you want it to do so...

rawhog said:
When I hit the fan speed button the A/C comes on. I then just hit the A/C button. Turns off A/C but keeps the fan fan running for "free-cooling mode).

Jimmydreams said:
JohnnySebring said:

It's early yet, but zero static with the Wet Okole seat covers. :mrgreen:

well i guess that settles it - i'll have to get the WOs, because i pick up a hell of a static charge from the car. from the tip of my house key to the car i've had arcs as long as 1cm. that's something like 30kV.

I love my LEAF!! I am a member of the 80% club.
AND
I had to remove the back head rests for better visability!!
One close call....and they were gone....
I live in AZ...I love the AC...much colder than my husband's Prius!!
I drive in ECO mode most of the time...but love the D mode!! Zippy!!
I shift into D for left turns in traffic...not because I have too, but just because if I need acceleration, it will be there.
Love the Bluetooth...that has been the most surprising perk. I had no idea how convenient it is!!
I am having frustration with scheduling Climate Control.
Also, what timer gets priority, the CAR or my BLINK charging station?

KLQL8N said:
I had to remove the back head rests for better visability!!
Try removing just the left rear headrest. For me, it's the only one that really gets in the way. (And it fits nicely into the cargo organizer.)
I am having frustration with scheduling Climate Control.
Also, what timer gets priority, the CAR or my BLINK charging station?
In the Owners Manual there's a section on timers and it talks about setting priority to charging or priority to climate control, and what happens in various cases. I haven't tried it out myself since I mostly just use low fan and/or open window for climate control.

Pros:
I love the zip, great acceleration, more than most "regular" cars I've driven. Love the integrated Ipod connection, just plug the iPhone or iPod in and it starts playing! Most of all I'm impressed with how cheap it is to drive, roughly equivalent to 50 cents a gallon gasoline! I don't think people really get this yet, EV is much less expensive to drive! The range has not been an issue I just leave the charger set to 80% and the timer set to all the time and plug it in whenever I get the chance. Once the charging network is in place, this car will be good for practically everything we do, actually it already is with even a little bit of planning!

cons:
I was getting some pretty good static shocks on dry days so after reading one persons suggestion on MNL I have simply started holding a metal part of the door so the static equalizes as I exit and presto, no more zaps!

Carwings has been down for a while, waiting on an update that should be out this month, but not having it has not been mission critical, just a minor nuisance.

Today the windshield wipers started working intermittently. After talking to the EV help line, I decided to reboot the electronics by disconnecting the negative on the 12v battery for 30 minutes and presto, everything is back to normal... and carwings works again!

Overall, this car has far exceeded my expectations!
g

(1) Rear seatbelts! My 7 yr. old daughter struggles to buckle her belt everyday,and we often end up having to help her. Other (adult) passengers also seem to have a bit of trouble with the rear belts. You *must* use two hands to keep the buckle from 'smashing' below the level of the seat, and can get a bit awkward if you have a booster seat. My daughter never had issues buckling up in our Prius or 4Runner.

(2) The 'whimper honk' when I lock the car from my remote. I like a crisp 'chirp'.

Can probably think of more, but those are the first to come to mind.

Overall, I love our Leaf and have to accept some quirks with the good!

mbutter said:
(1) Rear seatbelts! My 7 yr. old daughter struggles to buckle her belt everyday,and we often end up having to help her. Other (adult) passengers also seem to have a bit of trouble with the rear belts. You *must* use two hands to keep the buckle from 'smashing' below the level of the seat, and can get a bit awkward if you have a booster seat. My daughter never had issues buckling up in our Prius or 4Runner.

(2) The 'whimper honk' when I lock the car from my remote. I like a crisp 'chirp'.

Can probably think of more, but those are the first to come to mind.

Overall, I love our Leaf and have to accept some quirks with the good!

I couldn't agree more on these two. If anyone found a solution to the seat belt problem, please post your solution.

As for the horn, besides the wimpiness of it, I prefer being able to activate it all over, and not just at 3 and 9 o'clock on the steering wheel.

Otherwise, so far so good though.

the Leaf fully lives up to my expectations. I havent driven my ICE in 6 weeks, except for one trip with my wife that had enough range that it made her neeeervooous.

I especially like the back-up camera, which i thought was superfluous, but isnt.
I got to use the stickers yesterday for the first time on the 405--what a whiz. the freeway itself was going OK, so I wonder what it will be like on a stall-and-crawl day.
It knocked 5-10 minutes off the 40- to 45-minute commute.

Of course, it is zippy and everyone who stops by and visits likes it mucho.
power off the roof is a real high.
still trying to work the first bill out with LADWP, but I attribute that to their new billing system more than anything else.
they are very responsive.
Kudos to them.
They also told me that if you have solar there is no need to get a second TOU meter to get the 2.5-cent discount, so I charge at 8-9 cents a kWh, depending on whether it is summer rates, which are lower for the base period.
When DWP talks about raising rates, I think--go ahead, make my day.

My previous car caused static electricity, so I'm used to that - and happy that the Leaf does it less often.
The short sun visors don't hit me in the head when I flip them around, and they don't get caught in the windows.
The highly boosted steering makes tight turns easy and keeps rough roads from jolting the wheel around.
The fan pushes some serious air, and the A/C is very efficient.
Key fob is nice and small, and I don't need car keys anymore.
Turn signals make a pleasant clicking sound, as they should.
The car auto-locks at 15 mph and auto-unlocks when turning off, good safety feature.
The glove box is quite roomy.

So, yeah, I kinda like those things actually. :lol: Now, here's what I don't like:

Stupidly designed software running on the touch-screen and on the dash display. There's not one thing I like about it - it is not intuitive, and lacking in functions - makes it hard to manage charge timers, use navigation, and so on. I give the software designer a big fat "F".
Carwings - it has such huge potential, but the implementation is dreadful and there are several unresolved bugs.
Hard to tell when the car is fully on or just in accessory mode. Requirement to press brake pedal to turn car fully on (it would be better if I could turn the car fully on without having to press the brake pedal, and instead would have to press brake pedal to get in gear). If left on with A/C on, the A/C turns off when EVSE is plugged in, although the indicators say it's still on.

The warning alert system is inadequate. The other day after pulling away from a shopping trip I noticed a small ding every so often, so soft I barely heard it (I was listening to an audiobook on CD). Then I noticed a warning triangle in the upper dash. The car drove okay and all the gauges read normal. I looked and looked for some visible indicator as to what was wrong and saw none. I quickly pulled over to the curb and parked, leaving the car running, then looked at every single display on the dash and on the touchscreen. Nothing except that lighted triangle. Finally I started paging through the lower dash info screen. I had to go 3 or 4 pushes on the upper left button before getting a screen that had an option that said warnings, or something of that nature as the second (lower) choice. I then had to remember to push the upper right button to make the selection change to go down (counterintuitive!), then hit the upper left button again to select. Finally that caused a diagram of the car to appear in the lower dash area with a highlight on the rear hatch. I got out and reclosed the rear hatch (where I had placed my purchases and which I had thought was securely closed). The warning went away. Why in heck don't they make that diagram of the car with the highlighted open door appear automatically on the dash like every other car without having to go through all that? The tone should be louder and and the menu navigation buttons should be more intuitive, too.

Rat said:
The warning alert system is inadequate. The other day after pulling away from a shopping trip I noticed a small ding every so often, so soft I barely heard it (I was listening to an audiobook on CD). Then I noticed a warning triangle in the upper dash. The car drove okay and all the gauges read normal. I looked and looked for some visible indicator as to what was wrong and saw none. I quickly pulled over to the curb and parked, leaving the car running, then looked at every single display on the dash and on the touchscreen. Nothing except that lighted triangle. Finally I started paging through the lower dash info screen. I had to go 3 or 4 pushes on the upper left button before getting a screen that had an option that said warnings, or something of that nature as the second (lower) choice. I then had to remember to push the upper right button to make the selection change to go down (counterintuitive!), then hit the upper left button again to select. Finally that caused a diagram of the car to appear in the lower dash area with a highlight on the rear hatch. I got out and reclosed the rear hatch (where I had placed my purchases and which I had thought was securely closed). The warning went away. Why in heck don't they make that diagram of the car with the highlighted open door appear automatically on the dash like every other car without having to go through all that? The tone should be louder and and the menu navigation buttons should be more intuitive, too.

No one said the product dev people on the LEAF were intelligent. I had the same issue and I doubt most people even know to scroll though a menu to find the description, particularly when on the freeway.

Back