Herm
Delivery Date: 29 Aug 2012

Re: Jumping another vehicle

Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:22 pm

bowthom wrote:Then their are all the reasons for not jump starting a dead car from any car with modern electronics. Why is the car dead? Lights left on or is their an alternator problem that will take down your system as soon as the other car starts.

It happens, also many MANY lead acid batteries explode when you make a connection to them, sometimes spewing acid all over.. ask any technician at a battery replacement center and will give you many examples. There are some cases of Priuses needing expensive repairs after a jump, but I think those were incorrect polarity hookup, a fraction of a second to do damage.

TomT 's advice is good, you can also use a dedicated jumping cord that uses the cigarette plug sockets such as this.. mostly they are used to partially recharge the dead battery:

http://www.vat19.com/dvds/easy-quick-ju ... cables.cfm

planet4ever
Delivery Date: 02 May 2011
Leaf Number: 1537

Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:11 pm

I just skimmed this thread quickly, but I didn't see what I consider to be the most obvious point. All jump starting procedures I am familiar with say that the engine of the booster vehicle must be running when cranking the dead vehicle. This is obviously because ordinary 12v batteries don't have enough power to charge a dead battery and crank the engine at the same time; the power needs to be augmented by an alternator. Duh! The LEAF has no alternator (and having the DC/DC active is not recommended).

Ray
End of April 2013: Traded my 2011 SL for a 2013 S with charge pkg.

scottf200
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2011

Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:23 pm

planet4ever wrote:This is obviously because ordinary 12v batteries don't have enough power to charge a dead battery and crank the engine at the same time; the power needs to be augmented by an alternator. Duh! The LEAF has no alternator (and having the DC/DC active is not recommended). Ray
I'm a little confused because when you jump someone you are not charging their battery per se ... when they get their vehicle started the alternator on their vehicle charges their battery. As I mentioned other EVs can jump start other cars.
100K EV miles and 80% EV usage
Volt = 53+ mile BEV up to 100 MPH, then 40 MPG hybrid with a 9 gal gas tank
'17 Tesla Model X 100D 'used'| RIP '16 P90DL Sig | 2011 Volt kid2 | 2016 for wife | 2012 kid1

Herm
Delivery Date: 29 Aug 2012

Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:57 pm

scottf200 wrote: I'm a little confused because when you jump someone you are not charging their battery per se ... when they get their vehicle started the alternator on their vehicle charges their battery. As I mentioned other EVs can jump start other cars.

Perhaps those other EVs are using a stronger 12v battery, the Leaf does not have a starter and only needs a deep cycle type lead acid battery, not a high starting amps type.

scottf200
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2011

Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:26 pm

Herm wrote:
scottf200 wrote: I'm a little confused because when you jump someone you are not charging their battery per se ... when they get their vehicle started the alternator on their vehicle charges their battery. As I mentioned other EVs can jump start other cars.
Perhaps those other EVs are using a stronger 12v battery, the Leaf does not have a starter and only needs a deep cycle type lead acid battery, not a high starting amps type.
Good point. The Volt, for example, does not have a have a traditional starter motor (per SAE article **) but uses the 45 kW 'generator motor' to start the ICE/GasGen. It does have a 600:CCA 60:AH 12v battey (picture) but this certainly does not run the 54kW motor to start the ICE/GG.

** Chevrolet Volt Special Edition - SAE Vehicle Electrification - Title: A new role for the ICE section
100K EV miles and 80% EV usage
Volt = 53+ mile BEV up to 100 MPH, then 40 MPG hybrid with a 9 gal gas tank
'17 Tesla Model X 100D 'used'| RIP '16 P90DL Sig | 2011 Volt kid2 | 2016 for wife | 2012 kid1

bowthom
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 23 Feb 2011
Leaf Number: 307

Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:19 pm

Hello
Well those other EV's, are they powered by 12V lead acid batteries. Then by all means a simple jump from any one of it's hi capacity 12V batteries will jump start another car. BUT, we're talking about a leaf here right?
Reserv Apr 20 - Ord Aug 31
Red - ETEC trim
BLINK inst 3/14/11 (rev 2.1.2B)
P1213 4/29/11 - Charger repl 6/8/11
P1273 2/15/12 - P32270 10/2/13
Michelin MXV4
TCU upgrd 2/15/17
-1bar 11/8/14 -2bars 6/28/16
Est. del 2/28/11

Deliver 2/23/11 - 68k+ mi

palmermd
Delivery Date: 31 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 1100011011

Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:25 pm

This is the image I had in mind when reading the title....oops.

Michael

Leaf since 31 March 2011
Driving electric since 1996

First Bar Loss
Second Bar Loss
Third Bar Loss
Fourth Bar Loss

Ingineer
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2011
Leaf Number: 6969

Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:07 pm

While Nissan doesn't condone it, you should have no issues jumping another car with the LEAF. Be absolutely sure to get the polarity correct, and connect the ground on the LEAF to the DC-DC converter, NOT THE BATTERY (-) TERMINAL!

Procedure: Connect the red/black jumpers directly to the Pos/Neg terminals of the dead car's battery first, then connect the red directly to the LEAF's Pos battery terminal, and then finally, connect the black jumper lead to the case of the DC-DC. The DC-DC is the large aluminum box behind the "engine looking" inverter. You can easily see the black negative terminal on top of it, which is a good place to grab. Once jumping is complete, disconnect in reverse order. Be very careful not to short the jumpers together when removing them from the LEAF.

The LEAF's DC-DC converter is about as powerful as an alternator on any normal car, and should charge a dead ICE battery enough to start it in a few minutes. No need to "rev" the LEAF! =)

-Phil
Easily Learn Electricity HERE! - - - - Website: http://evseupgrade.com/ - - - - Like us on Facebook: EVSE Upgrade

JPWhite
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 30 Jul 2011
Leaf Number: 5734

Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:12 am

Ingineer wrote:While Nissan doesn't condone it, you should have no issues jumping another car with the LEAF. Be absolutely sure to get the polarity correct, and connect the ground on the LEAF to the DC-DC converter, NOT THE BATTERY (-) TERMINAL!

Procedure: Connect the red/black jumpers directly to the Pos/Neg terminals of the dead car's battery first, then connect the red directly to the LEAF's Pos battery terminal, and then finally, connect the black jumper lead to the case of the DC-DC. The DC-DC is the large aluminum box behind the "engine looking" inverter. You can easily see the black negative terminal on top of it, which is a good place to grab. Once jumping is complete, disconnect in reverse order. Be very careful not to short the jumpers together when removing them from the LEAF.

The LEAF's DC-DC converter is about as powerful as an alternator on any normal car, and should charge a dead ICE battery enough to start it in a few minutes. No need to "rev" the LEAF! =)

-Phil

So you are saying that using the jump leads while the vehicle is turned on is the best way to go, given one hooks up the jump leads appropriately? No need to upgrade the 12v battery either.
--
JP White
http://jpwhitenissanleaf.com
Blue SL-e, Res 4/22/10, Ord 3/29/11, Del 7/30/11
110,000 Miles.
Lost 5 Capacity bars
7/18/13 (29,206), 8/25/14 (51,728), 7/12/15 (71.108), 5/12/16 (88,362), 10/17/16 (96,532)
New Battery 12/3/16 (98,956)

Ingineer
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2011
Leaf Number: 6969

Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:47 am

JPWhite wrote:
Ingineer wrote:While Nissan doesn't condone it, you should have no issues jumping another car with the LEAF. Be absolutely sure to get the polarity correct, and connect the ground on the LEAF to the DC-DC converter, NOT THE BATTERY (-) TERMINAL!

-Phil

So you are saying that using the jump leads while the vehicle is turned on is the best way to go, given one hooks up the jump leads appropriately? No need to upgrade the 12v battery either.
Yes. Putting high loads on the little battery without the DC-DC converter is not a good idea. In fact, The DC-DC is powerful and yet current-limited, and since it is liquid-cooled, it can handle high loads much better than most car alternators. Without having the LEAF in ready, you aren't going to get much across the jumper cables from the small battery alone.

-Phil
Easily Learn Electricity HERE! - - - - Website: http://evseupgrade.com/ - - - - Like us on Facebook: EVSE Upgrade

Return to “Batteries & Charging”