Battery Questions/Concerns

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 2017 Leaf SL that I purchased pre-owned. it had around 8300 miles on it and was in like-new condition. I purchased it end of April 2018, it was manufactured in May 2017. It came from California. I live in the DFW Texas area.
A couple of days ago I noticed that it had dropped one bar on the battery bars. I currently have just over 18k miles on it. I drive 12.6 miles each way to work (side roads) and for errands around town. I rarely take it on the highway unless necessary (more because of traffic than anything else). I wasn't expecting to have it drop a bar this soon, with less than 20k miles on it. I know the climate here isn't the best (very hot summers) but it still surprised me. I have a co-worker that has a 2015 leaf SV (24kw battery) with just under 30k miles who purchased his also pre-owned a couple of months before I did. He has just a slightly longer commute than I do but other than we probably have similar driving use. He still has all 12 bars. Should I be concerned? I have read a little regarding the 30kw batteries degrading quicker than the 24kw. I have photos from the other morning of the bars and of LeafSpy, not sure where to upload them. LeafSpy shows the SOH of the battery as 83.94

If it doesn't drop another bar, that's not unusual. (Although the BMS my have been reset to falsely show 12 bars.) If you lose another bar any time soon, then that is cause to make them take the car back.

An update.... I am now at 21,579 miles and have now lost a 2nd bar. I'm concerned that I am now down another bar at under 22k miles, and my driving for the past 6 months has been very limited (store and back mostly - no highway, no daily commute since I'm working from home) Even when I was going into the office I took side roads. As for charging, I have only used a fast charger once, and according to LeafSpy it was only fast charged once by the previous owner. I don't leave it connected to the charging unit, I don't charge everyday, I only top off when I know I need to make sure I have enough to get where I'm going. LeafSpy shows the SOH as 77.83. My two co-workers who each have a 24kw leaf have still not lost bars (both are 2015 models) with much more mileage.

Has your vehicle had the update done to it that corrects a SW bug that reports accelerated degradation on low-mileage 2016-2017 30kWh LEAFs? You will need to visit a Nissan workshop to have this verified.

From what you describe, your vehicle has all of the characteristics of a car that has not had the SW patch done.

Here are some articles for reference that describe the issue and the fix:

https://insideevs.com/nissan-issues-software-fix-for-2016-17-leaf-battery-reporting-issues/

http://cleanfleetreport.com/exclusive-nissan-leaf-battery-fix/

http://cleanfleetreport.com/exclusive-documents-from-nissan-leaf-battery-issue/

I know they did some update when I took it for service around that time, I can't 100% say it was this update. Going to call them now to see what exactly that update was.

I would get a second opinion on that, because your car exhibits the exact symptoms of one that has not had the patch done. Ask what was the number of the service campaign that was applied. The correct answer for this question is ID:pC630.

Back