J1772 Holster

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gascant

Does anyone know where I can get a non-functional J1772 holster? My LEAF will be parked about 15 feet from my EVSE and I'd like to holster the connector on a shelf that's conveniently nearby instead of hauling the cord and connector over from the wall each night. I've seen functional female sockets for $125 but that seems steep to pay for something that will be used for storage only. I think the one in the EVSE itself is molded into the case.

(Apologies to the forum leadership if this is a repeat post--I couldn't find a discussion on this in my searches)

gascant said:
Does anyone know where I can get a non-functional J1772 holster? My LEAF will be parked about 15 feet from my EVSE and I'd like to holster the connector on a shelf that's conveniently nearby instead of hauling the cord and connector over from the wall each night. I've seen functional female sockets for $125 but that seems steep to pay for something that will be used for storage only. I think the one in the EVSE itself is molded into the case.

(Apologies to the forum leadership if this is a repeat post--I couldn't find a discussion on this in my searches)
I wonder if ECOTality would sell you the cord reel from a Blink. Also, look at the Clipper Creek, it has a simple metal slide. Seems like it would be simple to fabricate something like that and attach it to the wall.

A short piece of PVC or ABS plastic pipe and a couple of U wall clamps should do it for just a few bucks...

ENIAC said:
I wonder if ECOTality would sell you the cord reel from a Blink. Also, look at the Clipper Creek, it has a simple metal slide. Seems like it would be simple to fabricate something like that and attach it to the wall.

mogur said:
A short piece of PVC or ABS plastic pipe and a couple of U wall clamps should do it for just a few bucks...

ENIAC said:
Good point! Here are three options.
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100346362/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100342626/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100343148/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

ENIAC said:
mogur said:

ENIAC said:
Good point! Here are three options.
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100346362/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100342626/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100343148/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053
Interesting. The male connector is about the width of my wrist, so I've been able to find brackets that would hold it, but I was really looking for that "click" to secure it. In the absence of that, though, the ABS pipe sounds like a good idea. I think I have some in my plumbing supplies box.

gascant said:
Interesting. The male connector is about the width of my wrist, so I've been able to find brackets that would hold it, but I was really looking for that "click" to secure it. In the absence of that, though, the ABS pipe sounds like a good idea. I think I have some in my plumbing supplies box.
All the EVSEs just simply have a way to secure the connector, so that it doesn't fall to the floor.

ENIAC said:
All the EVSEs just simply have a way to secure the connector, so that it doesn't fall to the floor.
Exactly. That's what I want to replicate about 15 feet away from my EVSE, hence the desire to find a non-functional female connector (or holster).

ENIAC said:
I don't believe that's true. According to pictures on at least three manufacturer's websites (which may be outdated...) Clipper Creek, Leviton, and EVDriver's personal favorite, EVChargeAmerica all just loop the J-cord over a wall mounted saddle.

Glenn

garygid said:
A short piece of PVC pipe with a rectangular hole cut on top for the latch "hook" to enter, and possibly a slot cut out on the bottom for the "key", if necessary.
Another great idea. Keep 'em coming!

Mx5racer said:
Has anyone seen a click in holster available yet?

Yeah, I would be interested in one too. One that keeps snow and ice away from the handle would be extra nice as mine is mounted outside. The LCS-25 I have only loops the cord around with no holder and I do want to keep the handle a couple of meters away anyway.

Maybe I'm a little redneck but this holster has worked great for me for the last 6 months.

IMG_1997.jpg

IMG_1998.jpg

Around $1.00 at Home Depot :D

A Coulomb CT-500 (residential version) is delivered with the holster as a separate part, to be installed by the electrician at the top-right corner of the EVSE. You might be able to order it as a replacement part ?

CT-500

Holster

Glenn said:
ENIAC said:
I don't believe that's true. According to pictures on at least three manufacturer's websites (which may be outdated...) Clipper Creek, Leviton, and EVDriver's personal favorite, EVChargeAmerica all just loop the J-cord over a wall mounted saddle.

Glenn
The SPX doesn't have anything to hold the cable or connector end. I bought a garden hose holder and I sling the cable over that.

Can anybody point me to an engineering drawing of a J1772 plug?

If so I can whip up a socket-end with the 3D printer I have. Making a socket out of ABS plastic should be pretty trivial/cheap once I get the design down. It'd be a fun and practical use for our little plastiprinter toy. :)

If somone can tell me how to add images to this dumb thing I will post images of J1772 holser attached to my fence.
I clicked on Img and don't know how to proceed...

Thanks.

Okay, I did my homework. The images will be big, photobucket has no shrinking option there. Taken with my 5mp phone. Just save the pics on your desktop for further study. It's been in use since June so it's a little dirty. It's holding up real well.

I used 2" PVC connector. The backing is from some sort of 4-6" PVC lid used for god knows what. It was flat, all I had to do is knock off the center piece, hence the little missing material at the inside bottom. The hook is tricky, I chopped a piece of the same connector material and stuck it into the belt sander crack at an angle where the sandbelt disappears. You will mess up a couple of them until you find your groove. Also the placing of that widget was a pain to get it exact. The bonds a holding great, no problems.

Photo0189.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Photo0191.jpg

Back