Evaluate real health of a battery showing 103%

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rommario

Hi,

I am in Montreal, Canada.
I am going to get a Leaf 2014.
I found a car at a dealer: 2014 SV originating from Montreal 62000 km | SOH 103.35% | Ahr 64.18 | Hx 98.97% | 383.5V | 1 DC | 1950 QC
Looks very suspicions for a 2014 car.
How can I test it on a road with LeafSpy. I think dealer will agree for 30-50 km road test.

Thanks.

You could have them charge it to 100%, reset the trip odometer, set the dash so the state of charge (SOC) is displayed, then drive it until it reads 75% and multiply the km driven by four for the car's actual range. Not as precise as other methods, but both easy and reasonably accurate. If the BMS was reset as it appears, the actual range (drive as many highway kilometers, at highway speeds, as possible) will give a fairly good indication of the actual capacity.

Those numbers look Ike a new battery so it is likely that the LBC (lithium battery controller) was reset and the car has been driven very little since the reset. The other possibility (not likely) is that the dealer installed a new battery. The number of charge cycles (assume you meant 1 DCQC and 1950 L1/L2) indicates that it has never been quick charged except for the 1 test at the factory. The high L1/L2 charge count for the mileage indicates frequent charge timer use, frequent preheat/precool while plugged in, and/or short distances driven between charge cycles. Frequent charging after short trips is detrimental to battery life, but charge timer use and preheat/precool is fine.

The longer the road test you can do, the better. Assume 110 km range at highway speeds for a new battery. Note SOC (state of charge) percent on dash display in front of driver before and after test drive and subtract after from before to determine SOC percent used. Actual km driven divided by 110 km times 100 will give you approximate SOC percent that test drive should have used. Compare the two numbers to determine how the actual battery capacity compares to new.

Back