Using non-grounded extension cord?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorbertD24

I bought a 10 meter long outdoor extension cord to toss in the trunk in case I need it. It would be useful especially at my workplace, where the wallsocket is just a tiny bit too far to plug in the on-the-go charger.
I live in europe, so we use Type C /Type F plugs&sockets, at an output of 230 volts.
The cord is rated for 10A/250V/2300W, which should be just fine.
What I didn't realise (because it was plugged in itself inside the package), that the cord I bought is type C-ish, which is the same, but doesn't have the two little ground thing. (Professional explanation)
The one I bought:
NV%204-20_OR.jpg

The one I should have buy I guess:
1023.jpg

Should it be fine using it? Occasional usage. Or should I just buy a new one?

Aside from the electrical shock hazard of ungrounded appliances, which isn't as much of a hazard if the entire device is insulated/non-conductive (plastic body for example).

Most portable EVSE's have a built in GFCI feature. If it's ungrounded, the EVSE likely won't work.

NorbertD24 said:
I bought a 10 meter long outdoor extension cord to toss in the trunk in case I need it. It would be useful especially at my workplace, where the wallsocket is just a tiny bit too far to plug in the on-the-go charger.
I live in europe, so we use Type C /Type F plugs&sockets, at an output of 230 volts.
The cord is rated for 10A/250V/2300W, which should be just fine.
What I didn't realise (because it was plugged in itself inside the package), that the cord I bought is type C-ish, which is the same, but doesn't have the two little ground thing. (Professional explanation)

Should it be fine using it? Occasional usage. Or should I just buy a new one?

As far as I am familiar with, an EVSE will not work if ground connection is absent.

As to whether the cord itself is adequate, that depends on the EVSE you are using. If the cord is rated for 10A, I suggest you do not exceed 8A as EVSE is a continuous load. That means 2000W max. Also do not leave the cord tightly coiled as that will defeat heat dissipation and can cause a fire. EVSE is meant to protect you. Use of extension cord is bypassing some of that protection. You are best off by using the shortest extension cord as possible, and with thick conductors. In USA I would suggest 10-gauge wire diameter. Not sure how that translates.

Back