Module with 30 kW battery

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krox

Who can explain why the engineers of Nissan made modules, in 30 kW batteries, double? Previously, they were all separately. Nissan Leaf 2015 year.
http://s02.radikal.ru/i175/1711/0c/18de6dc80395.jpg

Not that this answers the question but battery capacity is measured in kWh, not kW.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=20548 may have the answers.

It's either for cost-reduction or space-saving if not both.

However, I see this isn't the most intelligent solution, as less surface for ventilation which is more needed for higher energy density. This probably explains why 30kWh battery packs degrade faster than the 24 kWh ones. "sigh"

Yes you are right, the battery capacity in kWh! By weight, one double module weighs 1 kg more than two conventional modules (from 24 kWh)!
I also agree that the ventilation of the battery is 30 kWh, worse than 24 kWh! You can freely install modules from 30 kWh to a 24 kWh battery. They are completely interchangeable, I checked it! :)

krox said:
Yes you are right, the battery capacity in kWh! By weight, one double module weighs 1 kg more than two conventional modules (from 24 kWh)!
I also agree that the ventilation of the battery is 30 kWh, worse than 24 kWh! You can freely install modules from 30 kWh to a 24 kWh battery. They are completely interchangeable, I checked it! :)

That would be great news, were it not for the terrible degradation issues with the 30kwh modules. I might use them in an electric snowmobile, but nothing that would see heat.

i am curious if the new 40kwh modules are also same size/format. wouldn't mind putting those in my 24kwh pack when mine wears out.

edit: What’s particularly notable here is that the new 40 kWh battery pack is apparently the exact same physical size as the lower-capacity battery pack that it’s replacing — so the van’s cargo area and seating remains undiminished. from : https://cleantechnica.com/2017/10/03/nissan-unveils-long-range-e-nv200-van/

this seems to support that the modules are same dimension as the 24/30kwh modules.

I have an original 24kwh battery in my May 2011.
I want to put in a new battery.
Is Nissan service depts selling 30 and 40 kwh replacements?
are they compatible with the 2011 with some wiring harness modifications by the dealership?

thankyouOB said:
are they compatible with the 2011 with some wiring harness modifications by the dealership?

No And No

There are businesses that sell new and salvaged 30kwh modules. I know this because they are now being used to replace the terrible OEM NiMH packs in Vectrix VX-1 motorcycles. (I have a VX-1 with 2013 Leaf modules in it.) I can't give you any current names, though. If you are serious about this I'll look into it again.

thankyouOB said:

The only option available from Nissan, at this time, is the installation of a new 24khw battery. It does require an adapter kit to fit the current model battery into the 2011 Leaf. Prices vary by dealer, but expect to pay about $5500 to have it installed. If you're willing to spend that amount, I would suggest looking at a newer model of used Leaf with a healthy battery, or apply that amount to the purchase of a new Leaf.

Back